• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

I’ve never seen nor heard of that happening here.
btrudy isn't wrong on that one. That mentality went away quite some time ago when the site owner addressed it. Not that it makes it better but I've had similar happen to me on facebook groups and reddit.

btrudy isn't wrong on that one. That mentality went away quite some time ago when the site owner addressed it. Not that it makes it better but I've had similar happen to me on facebook groups and reddit.
That’s pretty dumb unless it’s something absolutely egregious. Opinions are not that.

Having opinions that aren't shared by most people here is hardly the same thing as trolling. If you disagree with me, that's fine. I'm Reg Force Navy, no particular desire to share any more than that; I hardly see how it reasonably affects what I'm saying anyways.
Ok I'll give you that! Thanks for replying instead of crickets...one last question if you don't mind. Did you attend basic training as Reg Force or did you transfer with a basic Trg by-pass (direct entry) from the Reserves?? I ask this because it matters to some of the context of previous posts that you may not understand, IE: yelling at the troops to motivate them and instill teamwork!!

I hardly see how it reasonably affects what I'm saying anyways.
I'm all aboard with not giving any personal details away considering how vindictive our chains of command can be.

When someone is in a discussion and saying things like "in my experience" then your experience and background is probably relevant to the discussion. It's fine if you're not willing to give that info up but you also can't fault people for not taking your opinion as seriously.

Ok I'll give you that! Thanks for replying instead of crickets...one last question if you don't mind. Did you attend basic training as Reg Force or did you transfer with a basic Trg by-pass (direct entry) from the Reserves?? I ask this because it matters to some of the context of previous posts that you may not understand, IE: yelling at the troops to motivate them and instill teamwork!!

Reg Force the entire time.

Powdered wigs have a long history of presenting a positive military appearance.

I wonder if the VAN Wardroom still has their collection of powdered wigs (to better emulate Captain Vancouver of course)

Reg Force the entire time.

I wonder if the VAN Wardroom still has their collection of powdered wigs (to better emulate Captain Vancouver of course)
Thanks for the reply and your Ref to VAN tells you sailed on her and are west coast...

Exactly. This will attract a very small minority and alienate your base recruitment group - white males, who will find these new changes ridiculous. God speed CAF, it can’t get any worse, right?
It is not that white males are their primary recruitment group, it is rural males. Most rural males in this country just happen to be white and conservative in mannerisms. This makes sense since, A) immigrants tend not to be moving into rural areas and B) If you are rural you tend to have to be self sufficient, which tends to align more with more conservative policies and actions than what most urbanites do.
Given our current recruitment and retention issues, I think it is quite clear that we need to put in effort to expand our recruiting pool beyond those who are just already "attracted to military life". This change can be a part of that initiative.
More to the point, I think it is overall more helpful to stop acting like a career in the military needs to become an all encompassing part of your lifestyle (including affects on appearance when off duty). Treat it more like a career and make it worth people's while instead of expecting to get a bunch of people who'll want to make it their entire life busting down our doors.
I would say its the opposite. We only started having these serious retention issues AFTER we started moving away from what made the military unique. The more it becomes just another job the less people shall stay as if it is just another job, the grass is significantly greener on the other side. Easy example being doing the same job I was doing in the military, working less hours civvy side, dealing with a whole lot less BS, I was making about double as a apprentice what the military was paying me. Where the military can beat that out is the potentially cool stuff it can offer, as well as the potential social aspects it can create if it so chooses.

Where the military can beat that out is the potentially cool stuff it can offer, as well as the potential social aspects it can create if it so chooses.
That's why I joined; sailing around the world sounded awesome (and it can be). What isn't awesome is trying to do it with a fraction of the crew, in ships that are below normal safety standards, under unachievable schedules with insane expectations. We recruit some very smart people and give them a lot of training, and that sense of camaraderie keeps a lot of people around long after they get to the point where they realize things are foxed.

Doing cool things with an element of risk is fun and can be an adventure; taking on a lot of risk to do a dog and pony show because some big giant head made a commitment is not. We are deploying ships with defects that 10 years ago would have been a question mark for doing some kind of routine trials and then just hoping for the best. When people see that hope is the primary COA it's no real surprise that we are losing people left and right.

It is not that white males are their primary recruitment group, it is rural males. Most rural males in this country just happen to be white and conservative in mannerisms. This makes sense since, A) immigrants tend not to be moving into rural areas and B) If you are rural you tend to have to be self sufficient, which tends to align more with more conservative policies and actions than what most urbanites do.

There are hundreds of thousands of people with South Asian heritage in BC, many of them living in rural areas from the Fraser Valley, to Kelowna, to Prince George (every sawmill has a bunch of Sikh employees) etc.

The Punjabi/Sikh culture has a long tradition of gallant military service, about which they are rightly very proud.

I have had (a very few) soldiers from South Asian backgrounds serving in my rifle companies and they have always been excellent troops.

Let's face it, we just suck at attracting and retaining brown people.

Doing cool things with an element of risk is fun and can be an adventure; taking on a lot of risk to do a dog and pony show because some big giant head made a commitment is not. We are deploying ships with defects that 10 years ago would have been a question mark for doing some kind of routine trials and then just hoping for the best. When people see that hope is the primary COA it's no real surprise that we are losing people left and right.
I have seen this shift in the Army post-Afghan.

Maple Resolve was supposed to "keep the troops engaged" after 13 years of intense R2HR training and deployments. When we then kicked off again with REASSURANCE, IMPACT, and UNIFER; It became a burden. In addition to the logistical and operational planning involved, it's now been impacting APS cycles, in such that a Bde HQ will get confirmed, half the staff will be posted out, and by September... new staff to learn their jobs.

No one joins the Army to LARP in Wainwright for 6 months out of the year. Worse still spending 6 months LARPing in Wainwright, only to spend 6 months LARPing in Latvia afterwards.

I'm not saying we need to be in an active shooting war to keep the troops engaged, but we need to know when to ease off the throttle and give people room to breath.

Back to dress regs, working down at the shipyards I noticed a sign, that said: "It's your responsibility to be clean shaven if you are required to wear protective masks" with an illustration of the masks/helmets involved. Most businesses are quite strict on some elements of a dress code, mostly in regards to PPE and hair safety. But also in regards to gang affiliations, vulgar slogans, memes or political stuff. So the CAF is not exactly an outlier on the issue.

I really don't get why there's such resistance to the notion of changing the way the military does things in light of changing societal norms. The the way you've been doing things forever isn't working as well because of a mis-match between how the people you're recruiting expect to be treated, the only real option is to change the way you're doing things. Because you're not going to change how the people you're recruiting expect to be treated: we don't have the option of recruiting from other places or using a time machine to recruit from eras where people would have responded better to it.

The military can't change society. We need to work with the Canadian populace that we've got. And if we continue to refuse to adapt to what society expects from employers, all we'll do is continue to exacerbate our ongoing recruitment and retention crisis.
Note my highlighted area. Sometimes societal "norms" do not fit with military life.

Off the top of my head - the suborning of an individual's wants in order to further the group.
Most of your post I agree with.

Back to dress regs, working down at the shipyards I noticed a sign, that said: "It's your responsibility to be clean shaven if you are required to wear protective masks" with an illustration of the masks/helmets involved. Most businesses are quite strict on some elements of a dress code, mostly in regards to PPE and hair safety. But also in regards to gang affiliations, vulgar slogans, memes or political stuff. So the CAF is not exactly an outlier on the issue.
Being clean shaven is a pretty much universally accepted safety requirement for PPE and SCBAs that require a seal. When we asked Navies and fire departments in countries with large Sihk populations what they do, they simply tell people to shave. Most countries also don't accept 'Viking' as a religion for an exception either, so no idea wtf we are doing (particularly as there are no religious exemptions for fire fighting SCBA in CAF policy).

Not sure if I shared this previously, but there was this recent story in CBC about this Sikh gentleman who is a volunteer FF is PEI that explains it better than I can, but generally religions allow for all kinds of exceptions for things like safety. And given that it's more than just a bit of facial hair to him, I think making the sacrifice to help people is pretty commendable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-stratford-newcomer-firefighter-1.6426225

Being clean shaven is a pretty much universally accepted safety requirement for PPE and SCBAs that require a seal. When we asked Navies and fire departments in countries with large Sihk populations what they do, they simply tell people to shave. Most countries also don't accept 'Viking' as a religion for an exception either, so no idea wtf we are doing (particularly as there are no religious exemptions for fire fighting SCBA in CAF policy).

Not sure if I shared this previously, but there was this recent story in CBC about this Sikh gentleman who is a volunteer FF is PEI that explains it better than I can, but generally religions allow for all kinds of exceptions for things like safety. And given that it's more than just a bit of facial hair to him, I think making the sacrifice to help people is pretty commendable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-stratford-newcomer-firefighter-1.6426225
Simple fix - Give the ‘Vikings’ a sword, shield and long boat - point them at Russia and say come back with your shield or on it…

Simple fix - Give the ‘Vikings’ a sword, shield and long boat - point them at Russia and say come back with your shield or on it…
This was one of those I couldn't actually believe the person was serious. Vikings is a fun show, and interesting set of myths, but it's not actually a specific mono culture or a recognized religion.

They also freely raped, pillaged, murdered and enslaved their enemies, so hardly fits with CAF ethos.

Someone claiming Jedi would actually make more sense, as that's at least well defined. It would still be BS, but still.

I'd be more inclinded to stick them on a wooden sailboat as well and wish them the best of luck against Russia (or whoever). Don't do it halfassed, get out the oars!

Back