• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Heaven alone knows ... I've been says for months that the "protest/occupation" was, and remains, an inchoate response to a whole host of grievances, some real, many imagined, by the "Non-U"s (you have to be a certain age to get that reference) against the "U"s (AKA the Laurentian Elites and the chattering classes, and, and, and ...) ... I guess this is just part of it.
A bunch of the protesters are staying in the hotel behind ours. Three police cars there at 7 a.m. this morning.

Details are vague right now…heard something on the radio.
They are supposedly honouring the sacrifices of the fallen by covering the tomb with a Canadian and US Flag. So dumb.

Time for a 24/7/365 sentry like the US? Yes, where do we get the bodies? And I cringe at the thought that we could not have the ability go and actually touch the memorial.

They are supposedly honouring the sacrifices of the fallen by covering the tomb with a Canadian and US Flag. So dumb.

Time for a 24/7/365 sentry like the US? Yes, where do we get the bodies? And I cringe at the thought that we could not have the ability go and actually touch the memorial.
My "solution" remains to put the Tomb on Parliament Hill, inside, in Centre Block, in the Hall of Honour, as the spiritual and emotion centre of the Hall of Canada's Honour. Then, except on a few special occasions, it needn't be guarded - ceremonially.

My "solution" remains to put the Tomb on Parliament Hill, inside, in Centre Block, in the Hall of Honour, as the spiritual and emotion centre of the Hall of Canada's Honour. Then, except on a few special occasions, it needn't be guarded - ceremonially.
I like your idea, but once again the assholes win and our nation becomes a little bit more a police state.

Then you end up with Cpl Klinger, Rainbow Bright, and Pinhead on ceremonial duty, all with unfitted DEUs and non aggressive rubber rifles.

Apparently this happened very early yesterday morning:View attachment 72188
Whoever or whatever they were protesting in my mind THIS is not the way to do it. It doesn't matter if I agree with them or not.

You are DESECRATING the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier. For that reason I'd love to see them taken away by (insert police agency here) in cuffs.

Maybe it's time for the gov't to declare that the War Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are sacred ground and that no protests or political demonstrations are allowed there. Make the first offence a hefty fine ($1500 or so) and add on jail time for further offences. But that would mean that it would have to be guarded around the clock and they wouldn't want to incur the expense.

Maybe it's time for the gov't to declare that the War Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are sacred ground and that no protests or political demonstrations are allowed there. Make the first offence a hefty fine ($1500 or so) and add on jail time for further offences. But that would mean that it would have to be guarded around the clock and they wouldn't want to incur the expense.
You can get a full array of ir capable motion sensor trail cams at cabellas for under $500

That would likely die as a Charter breach. There’s already a Criminal Code offence that uniquely criminalizes mischief to war memorials, cenotaphs, etc. the threshold for “mischief” is “damage to, or obstruct enjoyment of property”. It’s a defensible prohibition. An outright criminalization of political expression on that patch of soil wouldn’t fly.

I’m not actually sure if the ground itself is owned by the National Capital Commission? The NCC has its own regulations that can levy fines for all manner of prohibited activity. If it’s their ground, they could effectively prohibit anything involving any sign not held by hand, and any amplified sound and such. Basically reduce it to stand there and shout and hold signs, subject of course to existing laws like breach of the peace, causing a disturbance, etc.

So... anyone following Lich's bail review this morning? 🤣 By some accounts Judge Goodman eviscerated the decision by the Justice of the Peace and has set aside the detention order. New bail hearing immediately after lunch break.

The more this goes on, the more of a mockery of the (political) justice system this becomes.

OK, I'm no expert on 'desecration', but draping a flag on something isn't quite the same as jack hammering it to pieces.

Have the cops tell the guy to move along, and carry on.

I'm sorry, but the level of moral outrage this seems to be generating at a national media level is weird. If I was a conspiracy type, I'd be casting a jaundiced eye at the Liberal Party's ironic moral high-ground machine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...national-war-memorial-american-flag-1.6531711

So... anyone following Lich's bail review this morning? 🤣 By some accounts Judge Goodman eviscerated the decision by the Justice of the Peace and has set aside the detention order. New bail hearing immediately after lunch break.

On and off, yeah. Glen McGregor’s reporting on it live. I’m curious to hear what the crown intends to cross examine Lich and the Surety on, and what this new video is. I’m really curious to see Crown’s approach to arguing for continuing detention in the de novo hearing. While the legal case on the original offences appears to be a very strong one, crown’s got an uphill battle to argue a continuing necessity to detain on any of the primary or secondary grounds, and judge doesn’t seem overly convinced of the tertiary. Sounds like about an hour of cross examination lined up for this afternoon.

In any case, a good example of how we have a generally good lay bench of JPs to deal with routine matters, subject to judicial review when challenged on applicable legal grounds.

OK, I'm no expert on 'desecration', but draping a flag on something isn't quite the same as jack hammering it to pieces.

Have the cops tell the guy to move along, and carry on.

I'm sorry, but the level of moral outrage this seems to be generating at a national media level is weird. If I was a conspiracy type, I'd be casting a jaundiced eye at the Liberal Party's ironic moral high-ground machine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...national-war-memorial-american-flag-1.6531711
Yeah I don't see it either.

He draped an allied flag over it... Bit ill-advised and maladroit but far from desecration still.

An Ottawa JP wrote a damning description of bail court in Ottawa back in 2015; JPs overly deferential to the Crown, and attacked for asking questions from the bench.

He draped an allied flag over it... Bit ill-advised and maladroit but far from desecration still.
And posted it on social media for “reasons”. And in the dead of night. A known convoy protester or what ever they are called now.

You don’t sit on the tomb, stand on it, dance on it or cover it with anything.

These clowns need to stop, they are using it for their own political/protest agenda. That in itself is enough of a desecration.

I believe the objection to his antics is more the politicizing of the tomb and the monument. This wasn’t some quiet and dignified show of respect for veterans. This was “look at me” bullshit leveraging the Tomb for a political cause.

Was it criminal? I don’t believe so. Was it ‘desecration’ in the sense of depriving a place of its sacred character, or treating it disrespectfully, or converting it to a profane use? Given their actual intent and objectives, yes I believe so.

Which is a nicer way of get your stupid bullshit off that man’s grave and don’t use our dead as a soapbox.

I believe the objection to his antics is more the politicizing of the tomb and the monument. This wasn’t some quiet and dignified show of respect for veterans. This was “look at me” bullshit leveraging the Tomb for a political cause.

Was it criminal? I don’t believe so. Was it ‘desecration’ in the sense of depriving a place of its sacred character, or treating it disrespectfully, or converting it to a profane use? Given their actual intent and objectives, yes I believe so.

Which is a nicer way of get your stupid bullshit off that man’s grave and don’t use our dead as a soapbox.
I can definitely agree with that.

I just believe we ought not to unnecessarily embellish our words when describing reality, lest those words lose their meaning and weight.

I can definitely agree with that.

I just believe we ought not to unnecessarily embellish our words when describing reality, lest those words lose their meaning and weight.
I will embellish as long as I feel like it.

I will not stand for bullshit like this "protestor" using sacred ground to politicize his or her crap.

Back