• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

"Crews will be able to locate individuals or objects (like downed aircraft) from more than 40 kilometers (25 miles) away, even in low-light conditions, according to the DND".

Uhhhhhh.....ok? I guess if they fired a Radaflare or something...

Are the Herc crews posted to Comox in the meantime or do they just rotate out?

Are the Herc crews posted to Comox in the meantime or do they just rotate out?
Rotate short term, there’s a handful of people with herc time in Comox who have gotten requalified, a handful of people posted there this APS (I think all volunteers), and supposed to be a bunch of people posted next APS. There will still be some rotations after this APS but not as many as this summer. 442 SARTechs I think are mostly done their conversions, or at least enough of them are (many had herc time).

Should say “like a cruise ship”

Sensors are great, in most (some?) cases. In some cases, they're useless. We did a SAR (PIW, SS 4ish)...we had Low RCS radar, IR (just turned night when we started the search). What we really needed was the big honkin' search light off the Argus...

Their caps/lims aren't very well appreciated outside the op flying community. One time, we were tasked to do an "IR search for a PIW" (pers who was in the water for 24+ hrs). :rolleyes:

Another one...helo down overland in Ont. We actually got asked if we were "using MAD during the search".

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Rotate short term, there’s a handful of people with herc time in Comox who have gotten requalified, a handful of people posted there this APS (I think all volunteers), and supposed to be a bunch of people posted next APS. There will still be some rotations after this APS but not as many as this summer. 442 SARTechs I think are mostly done their conversions, or at least enough of them are (many had herc time).

BZ to the crews and support pers who are 'making it happen'.

Sensors are great, in most (some?) cases. In some cases, they're useless. We did a SAR (PIW, SS 4ish)...we had Low RSC radar, IR (just turned night when we started the search). What we really needed was the big honkin' search light off the Argus...

Their caps/lims aren't very well appreciated outside the op flying community. One time, we were tasked to do an "IR search for a PIW" (pers who was in the water for 24+ hrs). :rolleyes:

Another one...helo down overland in Ont. We actually got asked if we were "using MAD during the search".

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF
OK OK even I can understand that there are certain limitations. Love the GIF.

and a PIW for 24 hours is likely a dead PIW. And I know what a MAD is.

Their family always swears that they always wear their life jackets. I did a search last summer in one of the Great Lakes and the water temp was 27C. The theoretical survival time is pretty long if they’re wearing a life jacket. Easy to find too though unless it’s camouflage.

Should say “like a cruise ship”

Large maritime contacts, even in a heavy SS, the ranges are really good (XXXnm). Those fishers and rec boaters...low freeboard/RCS folks...not so much. Life rafts, even less.

I have had a change to look at the data on the RADAR, EOIR and AIS...(love AIS). Nice systems, for sure.

Here's how that search likely would have went.

MADMARK!

10 seconds later...

MADMARK!

19 seconds later...

MADMARK!

"crew, TAC, MAD power is going off"

MAD operator...

New York Comedy GIF by HULU

In case anyone wants a giggle or two, here's the info-machine's version ...
Also archived here and here in case the links don't work.

In case anyone wants a giggle or two, here's the info-machine's version ...
Also archived here and here in case the links don't work.

While the delay is unfortunate, these types of issues are not unusual given the complexity of the capability being developed shitty procurement system that is allowed to continue without adopting Lessons Learned from projects like the Sea King replacement that is too politically based vice operational requirements based.

While the delay is unfortunate, these types of issues are not unusual given the complexity of the capability being developed shitty procurement system that is allowed to continue without adopting Lessons Learned from projects like the Sea King replacement that is too politically based vice operational requirements based.
Like my tagline says ... “The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

Who makes the final decision to retire a fleet, in this case, the buff?

My guess would be the MND, thru recommendations from the Airworthiness Advisory Board and/or Airworthiness Review Board. 4.6 -> 4.10 of the DAOD...

* maybe AAB/ARB recommendations, thru the AA (RCAF Comd), to the CDS, to the MND. RCAF Comd chairs the AAB so...

Back