• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Irish vs Dutch Ancestry.ca: [Split from] The Truth About Army.ca

Not quite. Despite being born somewhere in Britannia he was by all historical accounts a Roman.

But he was definitely not Irish.
Not quite not quite. He was a Romano-Briton, born in Britain to Romano-British parents. Ipso fatso, he was English. If 8th generation North Americans can claim to be Irish, I can claim that their mostest favouritest person in the world comes from the place they hate the most.

Not quite not quite. He was a Romano-Briton, born in Britain to Romano-British parents. Ipso fatso, he was English. If 8th generation North Americans can claim to be Irish, I can claim that their mostest favouritest person in the world comes from the place they hate the most.
Not quite how that works. Romano Britons we’re still Roman citizens and would have identified as such. Plus he came from rich influential parents. He would have spoken old Latin.

The English didn’t become English until later and after the Romans had abandoned Britannia. This would have been prior to the Saxon invasion. I doubt he or anyone else at that time called themselves English or considered himself one. Certainly not in 386 AD.

But yes you can claim he comes from the place they hate. But he wouldn’t be English, just from the same place the English claim to be from. And I doubt most people would know that anyways.

Happy St Patty’s Day! You’re Irish today whether you like it or not ;)

Only day of the year we were reminded consuming alcohol in the street in uniform was a violation of Departmental Regulations.

)
Not quite how that works. Romano Britons we’re still Roman citizens and would have identified as such. Plus he came from rich influential parents. He would have spoken old Latin.

The English didn’t become English until later and after the Romans had abandoned Britannia. This would have been prior to the Saxon invasion. I doubt he or anyone else at that time called themselves English or considered himself one. Certainly not in 386 AD.

But yes you can claim he comes from the place they hate. But he wouldn’t be English, just from the same place the English claim to be from. And I doubt most people would know that anyways.

I'm NOT! I just live here. :p

I bet you're a fucking riot at parties.

My ancestry goes back to Scotland, England, Ireland, and apparently Norway, but the family has been in Canada since 1749... So I'm definitely not Scottish, English, Irish, or Norwegian.

I do love when people claim to be Irish and have have never set foot in Ireland though :ROFLMAO:

I seem to recall hearing about a Dutchman with an Irish connection... let me see... oh yeah!

View attachment 69535

Schitts Creek Pain GIF by CBC

My ancestry goes back to Scotland, England, Ireland, and apparently Norway, but the family has been in Canada since 1749... So I'm definitely not Scottish, English, Irish, or Norwegian.

I do love when people claim to be Irish and have have never set foot in Ireland though :ROFLMAO:
I’m French Canadian. I dont pretend to be French ie France by any means. I really don’t see the issue with people identifying with their cultural backgrounds.

Fun fact. St Patrick’s day celebrations are actually more of a North American thing than an Ireland thing and has its roots in North America by the Irish Diaspora. It’s actually more appropriate to celebrate here than in Ireland ironically.

I’m French Canadian. I dont pretend to be French ie France by any means. I really don’t see the issue with people identifying with their cultural backgrounds.

Fun fact. St Patrick’s day celebrations are actually more of a North American thing than an Ireland thing and has its roots in North America by the Irish Diaspora. It’s actually more appropriate to celebrate here than in Ireland ironically.
I find it amusing when people do, but unless they're obnoxious about it I don't usually say anything.

Indeed, the green beer, leprechauns, etc., is entirely a North American thing, though I have heard it's become more of a "thing" in Ireland over the years.

I will tell you Temple Bar is not a quiet dinning experience tonight.

I find it amusing when people do, but unless they're obnoxious about it I don't usually say anything.

Indeed, the green beer, leprechauns, etc., is entirely a North American thing, though I have heard it's become more of a "thing" in Ireland over the years.
Very much a secular thing now as opposed to the religious day it used to be. Like Christmas, st Valentine’s Day, etc etc.

I will tell you Temple Bar is not a quiet dinning experience tonight.
I’m sure it’s not. One of those cultural things that somehow started elsewhere and made its way back to its roots.

It’s all in good fun. Not sure why it would upset anyone lol.

Back