• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defence Minister

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Same one?
Another former Military person?
Someone from left field?

Same one?
Another former Military person?
Someone from left field?

We probably won't need one as they can now roll Defence into 'Public Safety' and send the troops to the hospitals ;)

But seriously, based on all the problems we handed this (now third term) Prime Minister during the last election, I think there might be a 'nuke and pave' program of some kind on the horizon.

I expect that eventually the backlog of postponed major equipment acquisition will become sufficient for a government to just throw up its hands and say we can't do "that" anymore. Divide DND's former responsibilities among other departments, and make one the carrier of the lineage (ie. Department of X and Defence).

I would expect them to try and find a woman to be MND given recent events and the virtue signaling that is a hallmark of this government. Someone somewhere else suggested Freeland as a way to quash any leadership ambitions in the near term, but I 'm not so sure. I think such a move might compel her own team to start hastening the PM's exit behind the scenes - thinking back to the Chretien-Martin infighting of 2002. Although i guess it is an open question whether the current Liberal brain trust has an institutional memory that goes back that far.

I would be open to someone with no previous ties to the Canadian Military.

I would expect them to try and find a woman to be MND given recent events and the virtue signaling that is a hallmark of this government. Someone somewhere else suggested Freeland as a way to quash any leadership ambitions in the near term, but I 'm not so sure. I think such a move might compel her own team to start hastening the PM's exit behind the scenes - thinking back to the Chretien-Martin infighting of 2002. Although i guess it is an open question whether the current Liberal brain trust has an institutional memory that goes back that far.

They might release the 'puppet master' ....

75433378-e1576606343577.jpg

I would be open to someone with no previous ties to the Canadian Military.
I would be open to someone who actually cares about the future of this country, not 1-3yrs from now but 15-25yrs and starts to act like an adult and begins to lay the groundwork for proper long term planning.
But hey, I'm an optimist who still believes in God, opens the door for others and says 'thank-you' not 'no problem' .

I would give my right eye to have someone that is willing to look at Defense and Foreign policy as a bipartisan issue, and not let DND become a way to bolster support for the party in Ste. Buttfuck sur la Pleine, QC where the Bloc and NDP made in roads.

The sooner we can view our defense and security as apolitical, the sooner we can get a seat at the Big Kids table.

I would give my right eye to have someone that is willing to look at Defense and Foreign policy as a bipartisan issue, and not let DND become a way to bolster support for the party in Ste. Buttfuck sur la Pleine, QC where the Bloc and NDP made in roads.

The sooner we can view our defense and security as apolitical, the sooner we can get a seat at the Big Kids table.
Well you are screwed, but at least you will still have your eye.

I would be open to someone who actually cares about the future of this country, not 1-3yrs from now but 15-25yrs and starts to act like an adult and begins to lay the groundwork for proper long term planning.
But hey, I'm an optimist who still believes in God, opens the door for others and says 'thank-you' not 'no problem' .
Karen McCrimmon would meet a number of positive factors for many. I think she’d make a decent MND, not at all one of the “bandwagon signaling #metoo” (as to a valid victim) types.

Karen McCrimmon would meet a number of positive factors for many. I think she’d make a decent MND, not at all one of the “bandwagon signaling #metoo” (as to a valid victim) types.
Maybe, but I really think we need someone who has never been tainted by the CAF machine. We need someone with a cold heart to stare down the sacred cows fraternity.

Maybe, but I really think we need someone who has never been tainted by the CAF machine. We need someone with a cold heart to stare down the sacred cows fraternity.
I didn’t serve under her command, different community, but I know her and many who served under her tenure, and she was a fair but hard-nosed leader who made a number of solid, well-considered decisions.

But it looks like she’s retired, did not seek re-election.
At a high level it does look like she may have fit the bill. But then I would expect the same from Marc Garneau. Sadly he’s missed the mark on a number of occasions.

Back