Linked Events

• trying to get medical released: April 13, 2011

Author Topic: Medical Release ( merged )  (Read 93055 times)

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: 3A and 3B medical???? What's the difference
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2014, 11:51:16 »
Thanks, PMedMoe. So a 3a is worse then a 3b? 3b you may be able to rejoin where as a 3a your not?Or is it on a case by case bases?
D-C

The majority, if not all, medical releases will be a "3.B.".  If memory serves me correct, if you are released under Item 3.B., you can't re-apply to the CF until 2 years after your release date and you would have to prove that the circumstances surrounding your previous medical release are no longer applicable and have been satisfactorily resolved and won't necessarily re-occur.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline D-C

• Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 23:25:00 »
Thanks DAA, That makes it somewhat clearer.
D-C
You are all good to go!!!!!!!!!!

Offline D-C

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2014, 23:27:46 »
That will slow down the application process for sure.
D-C
You are all good to go!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
Medical Release
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 23:00:10 »
If a recruit injures their knee during BMQ and the medical staff decide its going to take 4 or 5 months to recover and release you, what category would the release likely be?

3B? 5D?

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
Re: Medical Release
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2014, 23:30:07 »
Did the soldier have a pre-existing medical condition involving the knee prior to enrolment?
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2014, 23:32:50 »
Lets try both scenarios :)

1. Yes, the recruit reported a preexisting injury but passed the medical and injured it halfway thru bmq

2. No pre existing condition

Offline MedTech32

• "They Call Me Mr.....wait they don't call anymore :("
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2014, 15:33:58 »
How's this for answer from someone who had 6.5 yrs as a medic before being Medically released:

First Off, the medical staff do not decide to release anybody, ever.  This is decided by an "impartial" board in Ottawa.  Secondly if there was a preexisting injury as long as it was FULLY disclosed during the recruiting medical. There would be no reason for a 1D (Fraudulent Statement on Enrollment) or 5E (Irregular Enrollment) Release.

CFHS will assign Medical Employment Limitations, if those limitations will last longer then 12 months, OR if they blatantly and obviously breech Universality of Service with NO chance of recovery.  Then your file is sent to the Administrative Review Bored, Medical Employment Limitation  AR(MEL).  It is this board that decides:

1. Release Category if any
2. Compulsory Occupation Transfer (ie you can't be a pilot, but you can be a cook)
3. Retained without Career Restrictions
4. Retained With Career Restrictions

There is no other Authority WRT Medical Releases.  Even a Court Martial cannot overturn a Medical Release and CO's/OC's have absolutely no say in the matter (trust me).

Ok now that we have that cleared up.  For this "hypothetical situation"  If a recruit injures his/her knee during basic training and it required 4-5 months to heal (not unreasonable actually), there is absolutely NO reason or cause for a release.  The road to a medical release is not quick  IOT afford the member every treatment available to the correct the condition and bring the member back into compliance with UoS/their trade. 

1. Initial Injury -> usually several weeks off/light duties (serious injuries, not common colds or minor sprains)
2. Decided by MO that it is going to take longer to heal, 1st T-CAT (Temporary Category) 6 months
3. Still not quite healed, prognosis good, second T-CAT 6 Months
4. All Healed, back to work or
5. Not healed P-CAT (Permanent Category), takes 3-6 months to get back from Director Medical Policy (DMED Pol)
6. File automatically sent to ARMEL if your restrictions or Category breach UoS or your Trade requirements.
7. 3-6 months to get an acknowledgement from AR (MEL) board that they have your file
8. 6 more months to actually get a release date that will be in 6 months.

So you can see, it can take up to 30 + months to get the boot.  Mine was 34 months and that was because I opted not to have disclosure and to fast track my release (an option @#7 above, not recommended unless you absolutely know what you are doing)

Now I don't know how fast Ottawa is moving since I left a year ago, but I doubt it's moving much faster (feel free to correct me)

So that's the Medical Release process in a Nutshell (again). 

Check out the release QR&O's here, there is some important information to know.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-015-eng.asp

In Arduis Fidelis
Militi Succurrimus

**Disclaimer**  Any and all posts are solely the opinion of the poster, and thoughts to the contrary are misguided.** Disclaimer**

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2014, 11:20:26 »
Thanks!

Offline ArtyInQc

• Rate Post
Potential Medical Release, Have Questions
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2016, 16:10:09 »
I'm currently on my second TCAT and was told by the MedTech/Doc handling my case that after this TCAT (which ends February third) that I may end up on a PCAT. My injury has to do with my knee, and they have had me doing physio for over a year and it has done little to nothing. I finish my initial contract in March but signed for an additional 5. So my questions are as follows:

1. If I am medically released, what am I looking at in terms of compensation/time line?

2. Would VR'ing be a better route?

Any other information would be greatly appriciated.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Potential Medical Release, Have Questions
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2016, 16:34:01 »
2. Would VR'ing be a better route?

A better route than what?  If you want to stay in the CF, don't VR.  If your injury is service-related, don't VR.  If it turns out you have to be released, a medical release is infinitely better benefit-wise than what you'll get under a voluntary release category.

Offline Andraste

• Rate Post
  • Marking time until retirement
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2016, 06:20:24 »
Unless you want to get out, I would not jump the shark with a VR but allow the process to play out.  When you are assigned a PCAT that triggers and Admin Review Medical Employment Limitations (ARMEL) at D Med POL.  They will examine your PCAT to determine if you breach Universality of Service.  If you do, then medical release is recommended.  If you do not breach UoS then a recommendation of "retained in current MOSID with restrictions" is plausible (depending on your task statements) or a "compulsory occupation transfer ARMEL".

Cheers

Andraste

Offline TwoTonShackle

• Rate Post
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2016, 08:55:54 »
Andraste nailed it, a PCAT is not necessarily a medical release.  If there is a light at the end of your medical treatment tunnel, then the medical review should see that as wee and treat you accordingly.  What I think needs to be stressed is don't VR.  If your current situation leads to a medical release, there are benefits that come with that.  Jumping the gun with a VR might eliminate these benefits before a medical review could happen.

Offline Staff Weenie

• Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2016, 10:57:50 »
Never take a VR if a 3b is coming. There are indeed benefits and services that come with a 3b Release. Talk to the Client Services section of your supporting Integrated Personnel Support Centre. They can fill you in on all the transition programs and services. Once you release, you can't go back and have your Release Item changed to a 3b, and that can impact your eligibility for Priority Hire for Federal Public Service positions.

If you don't know whom to contact for information, just send me a PM letting me know where you are, and I'll get you contact info for the nearest IPSC.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2016, 11:32:16 »
Not sure if the Original Poster is reading her/his replies,

Date Registered: January 13, 2016, 16:42:05
Last Active: January 13, 2016, 23:19:53
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Bellerophon

• Rate Post
Being medically release! Help!
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2016, 18:18:53 »
I am not sure what to expect in a near future because I am stuck in limbo waiting to see what happens, and what decision I could start making prior to being released.

There is a lot going on at this moment but due too heavy injury in my body I am being force to release from the infantry. There are s lot of things I wanted to ask but I'll get too few first.

• Will I be cover for post-secondary? And will they cover me if I move out of Canada back to my family?
  • I am shy of the 10 year mark; is it true I will not get a pension?
  • What are the benefits from this medical release besides "doctor appointments and medicine"
  • How long does it take to get medically release? And will I be cut from receiving paycheques as soon as I'm released?
  • Are moving expenses and such things covered In and out of the country?

(Edited by Moderator to remove questions from poll format.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 19:34:45 by Michael O'Leary »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Being medically release! Help!
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2016, 23:46:30 »
I am not sure what to expect in a near future because I am stuck in limbo waiting to see what happens, and what decision I could start making prior to being released.

There is a lot going on at this moment but due too heavy injury in my body I am being force to release from the infantry. There are s lot of things I wanted to ask but I'll get too few first.

• Will I be cover for post-secondary? And will they cover me if I move out of Canada back to my family?
  • I am shy of the 10 year mark; is it true I will not get a pension?
  • What are the benefits from this medical release besides "doctor appointments and medicine"
  • How long does it take to get medically release? And will I be cut from receiving paycheques as soon as I'm released?
  • Are moving expenses and such things covered In and out of the country?

(Edited by Moderator to remove questions from poll format.)

Bellerophon, assuming that like most of us you've got Facebook, there is a group called 'Veterans 3B Support Group Canada'. Many members on there have gone through or are going through medical releases, and you should find that much of what you're asking will be directly aswered there.

Without knowing more about your circumstances, it's hard to offer you much right now. Reg/Reserve? Service related injury/illness, or something else? There are a number of benefits and programs available for medically released personnel, and depending on your circumstances, there will be different resources available to help you through this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/432709853584762/
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Bellerophon

• Rate Post
JPSU? And Consideration of PCAT?
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2016, 19:35:13 »
I am a little confuse about the process of being medically release from the military. as in this moment I am going Consideration for PCAT: I was told this has to go up to Ottawa and then back which could take about 4 months. I was also told considering my case it's almost a 100% guarantee. What i wanted to know is... If I am posted to JPSU could i being to relocate myself even If my PCAT still under review?

Offline royalcrimson

• Rate Post
Medical Release Process
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2017, 13:08:36 »
Hi,

I am trying to find out info on how is the medical release process initiated.

I have heard that it is initiated by both my unit and the medics/docs.  I have been trying to find anything at all to see how is the decision to medically release someone is made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.