Author Topic: Wearable camera technology  (Read 7102 times)

Offline mattberk

• Rate Post
Wearable camera technology
« on: April 14, 2010, 15:15:05 »
I'd like to start using a "helmet cam" and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the models out there? Most of them are a bit too cumbersome, but I've found a few that should do the job nicely.

One is called the ContourHD - it's more designed for sports use but it's fairly small, looks tough and has really good video quality.

The other one is the VIO POVT which seems to be more specifically designed for tactical use. I've found a few videos on youtube of other soldiers using this, including this one from a Danish Soldier in Afghanistan:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Aplaehn#p/u/12/H49YDqKm77s

Has anyone used either of these and got any feedback?

Offline multihobbist

• Rate Post
Re: Wearable camera technology
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 20:41:18 »
A friend of mine in SQ had his helmet cam from e-bay for 80 bucks and it insert for flash discs and it worked fine, and it was waterproof, shock proof etc. The cameras u mentioned there look fine but the price scares me

Offline BorderMedic

• Rate Post
    • BorderMedic Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 23:23:44 »
This may be a silly question, but are you allowed to wear a camera while training? I would have thought that they would not allow something like that.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:22:15 »
Good question - Before wearing a camera, or even buying the equipment, find out if its okay with your unit.  You're not being hired to do a documentary or play field journalist.

You should also consider the privacy rights of those around you.  Not everyone wants their name and face on youtube.   

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:52:49 »
Nor do we want to see hazing or other such videos suddenly show up on YouTube.  A lot of harm has been done by people taking pictures and video in the past.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 13:57:10 »
Nor do we want to see hazing or other such videos suddenly show up on YouTube.  A lot of harm has been done by people taking pictures and video in the past.

Poor judgement always gets in there somewhere...

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 14:00:28 »
Poor judgement always gets in there somewhere...

Exactly.  Someone always has a lapse.  It may not be the person taking the photos/video, but a friend of a friend who uses it, or cirulates it, towards some agenda.  Look what Scott Taylor did with the photos he was presented with.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Blecter

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:48:13 »
I like the VholdeR ContourHD 1080p. I don't actually have one, but it's on my to-get list for the future (for snowmobiling). From the videos I've seen it takes great footage. Here is a video from a member of a snowmobiling forum I am on. It's shot with the VholdeR ContourHD 1080p in 1080p I believe, however I've read that Vimeo plays it in 720p, but the quality is still quite good.

Offline BorisK

• Rate Post
    • Westbury National Show Systems Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:44:48 »
(Pardon the Necropost)

I have been looking at cameras (not for training, just for general activities (hockey, etc) and since it is now 4 years later I thought it might be smart to add this to the thread : http://www.replayxd.co.nz/primex.html

Small & rugged form factor, feature rich (I like you can use your cellphone via wifi to preview your shots, change settings, or edit/play clips), reasonable price point (cheaper than GoPro cameras), and great picture quality.  Not perfect (nothing is) but fits the bill pretty nicely for someone interested in a helmet camera. 

Different then a GoPro, sleeker than a contour.