Author Topic: ""Mom chooses son over service""  (Read 3182 times)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
""Mom chooses son over service""
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:04:46 »
"(CNN) -- To hear Spc. Alexis Hutchinson tell it, the Army forced her to make an agonizing choice between serving her country and taking care of her son.
The Army, however, takes issue with the soldier's story and Hutchinson could now be facing serious charges for desertion.":
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/18/georgia.soldier.mom/index.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:49:13 by mariomike »

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: "Mom chooses son over service"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:38 »
[Corrected Headline]

Mom Chooses Self Over Son
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: ""Mom chooses son over service""
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:53:40 »
"It was that hard, because he's a very busy baby," Hughes told CNN affiliate WTOC in Savannah, Georgia. "You have to keep an eye on him 24 hours a day."
Wow, who have thought having kids was easy?   ::)
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:42:19 »
I wonder why the father can't help out?
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 12:46:20 »
I believe the mom's punchline goes,

"From what I remember of that party son, be thankful you don't bark"   >:D

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 13:01:26 »

I was watching a talk show years ago when somebody asked if the father of the baby was present during childbirth. The answer was something like, "No, he split ten minutes after the baby was conceived!"

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 13:17:42 »
But after a week with the infant, Hughes, who cares for ailing relatives and runs a day-care out of her home, said she felt so overwhelmed that she backed out.

So the mom can take care of strangers' kids but not her own grandchild.  Nice.   ::)
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 14:21:32 »
Maybe if mom was a paying customer....
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline Retired FDO

• Rate Post
  • Swallowing the anchor after 32 years.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 14:28:33 »
I can remember one incident, there were several, but this one sticks out and we still laugh over it. My wife and I are in the Navy. At the time we both had hard sea trades. Her an Engineer and me a Bos'n. We were used to one ship going out the harbour as the other was coming in. A quick wave and away we went. It was hard but when you have the kind of relationship we had (still have) it wasn't too bad. My kids understood as well.

The one incident (I know finally) I was packing my kit to sail for a week. My wife was out and due in late that afternoon.  Our routine was that my daughter would sit on the edge of the bed and we would just chat while I was packing. So during our chat this one time she looked up with all the innocence of youth and said "Daddy who's making supper tonight". It was her way of asking if I or my wife was going to be home that night. I told her that one of us would be home but if no one was here by 6 then go to Nannie's Diner and get fed there. All she said was "Oh cool".

We have always had a plan in place. We even had a plan before we had family move to Halifax. Neither of us has ever missed sailing because we didn't have a plan in place. We even had a plan to fly the kids to Toronto to be with my folks or to Georgia when her father got sent there with his company.

Can't tell me it's the military's fault. We signed the line and I'm betting she was in the Army before she had the kid. My advice to her is get your hugs in now because when your in jail it you won't see him. I can tell her where to find sympathy in the dictionary!!
A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"   Author Unknown

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure