Author Topic: Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]  (Read 757947 times)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Do I have to let CRA know when I am being deployed or does CAF notify them for me?

There's a line on the tax form where you can declare that you were deployed and since all deployments grant tax-free salary now (unless you are a colonel or above), it all becomes quite obvious.  Like I said before, unless you end up owing money, which is likely not the case (unless you have significant income from other sources), then this really isn't an issue.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Infant_Tree

Training very hard.

• Rate Post
OK thanks, just wanted to make sure.
Recruiting center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Application Date: January 12, 2017
First contact: January 12, 2017
CFAT: February 8, 2017
Medical: March 2, 2017
Interview: March 7, 2017
Merit listed: Sometime between April 11 and April 27, 2017
Position Offer: May 30, 2017
Enrollment: August 23, 2017
BMQ: September 4, 2017

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
I get a couple thousand back every year, but I maximize deductions for things the CAF wouldn't be able/allowed to use to calculate how much tax to take off. Not a big deal, I get the money back at the end of the year anyways.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Look at the form T1213; there are items you can document (child care, etc) to have lower deductions at source.  Prior to the entry of Reservists into pension plans, I'd submit one annually and max out my RRSPs, but not have to wait for my tax refund - which meant more money available to pay down my mortgage.

It's worth spending the time to understand taxes to figure out how to optimize your own situation.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
There is always the option to contact CRA and ask them to authorize no deductions at source if you have the problem of getting refunds every year.  Basically you are making arrangements to pay them directly instead of us taking the taxes out. Last one I did the member was paying them quarterly an agreed upon amount that both sides estimated to cover his taxes for the year.  if they agree they will send you a nice package and letter that you take into the pay office as proof.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
An update on the proposed Tax Relief for deployed operations. It's not just as easy as saying "make it so", and it appears the government made an announcement without having any of the actual details completed. Don't expect backpay anytime soon.

http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2017/07/26/defence-officials-struggling-with-details-of-liberal-tax-break-promise/#.WXk17YjyuUl

Defence officials struggling with details of Liberal tax-break promise
By Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press — Jul 26 2017
OTTAWA — National Defence has been struggling to make good on one of the Trudeau government's recent promises: giving tax breaks to military personnel and police officers deployed on certain overseas operations.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan announced the measure during a major speech at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ont., in May as part of the Liberals' new defence policy.

While Sajjan billed the move as an attempt to recognize the sacrifices that are often made by military personnel and their families, it also addressed what had been a prickly issue for the minister.

Some service members based in Kuwait had become increasingly vocal in the weeks leading up the announcement about a policy change that threatened to strip their tax-exempt status.

Yet the devil has proven to be in the details, with officials now scratching their heads over what types of operations and deployments should and should not be eligible for tax relief.

The debate is particularly relevant for the navy's sailors, many of whom on close reading of the defence policy would not be eligible for tax relief despite spending up to six months at sea at any given time.

Sources tell The Canadian Press that the military's senior leadership is now seized with the issue, and that defence chief Gen. Jonathan Vance has told officials he wants the issue resolved by mid-August.

Alan Okros, an expert on the management of military personnel at the Canadian Forces College, said officials are now caught trying to make good on the Liberals' promise without making matters worse.

"They're trying to find a solution here that will achieve what the government intended," Okros said.

"But they don't want to start creating precedents that would generate lawsuits or people making claims of 'Well, if that applied there, it applies here.'"

Offline mrswoodca

• Rate Post
When do you go up a pay level during training?
« Reply #906 on: August 14, 2017, 10:04:54 »
I will apologize if this has been asked before.

As a private, when do you go up from the first pay grade to the second?

I have received my offer, but haven't accepted yet, this is one of the questions that my husband has.

once again, if this has been asked before, I am sorry for asking again. I've been trolling the page trying to find the answer, and the deadline is coming up.

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: New Recruit Pay Grade
« Reply #907 on: August 14, 2017, 11:37:37 »
I know if you're in the reserves and you're doing BMQ and you already have your degree, you should be a 2LT while doing basic training, getting paid as a 2LT, and have your 1 big bar on your epaulette/slip on.

You will be an OCdt if you're working on your degree, but don't have it yet.

Side Tangent - This actually came up fairly recently in my Unit and is also incorrect.  The CO (for a Reserve DEO) is able to promote directly to 2Lt, but is by no means obligated to do so.  Most do for a variety of reasons (retention, etc), but it is not obligatory.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: When do you go up a pay level during training?
« Reply #908 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:51 »
I will apologize if this has been asked before.

As a private, when do you go up from the first pay grade to the second?

I have received my offer, but haven't accepted yet, this is one of the questions that my husband has.

once again, if this has been asked before, I am sorry for asking again. I've been trolling the page trying to find the answer, and the deadline is coming up.
yearly until you have maxed.

Ayrsayle - thought there was something out recently on this stating the members were not to be promoted until after completion of basic.  The effective date was still the enrolment date.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline mrswoodca

• Rate Post
« Reply #909 on: August 14, 2017, 14:32:52 »
yearly until you have maxed.

Ayrsayle - thought there was something out recently on this stating the members were not to be promoted until after completion of basic.  The effective date was still the enrolment date.

Thanks,  I'm guessing that i wasn't using the right words when trying to search it.

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #910 on: August 14, 2017, 15:45:48 »

That is the case (to my understanding) for Reg F members (and was for me, a number of years ago).  Take a look at CFAO 49-10 regarding Rank following Enrollment (For the PRes), Appendix 3, Annex A (Specifically regarding the 2Lt Rank - promotion requirement).

They specifically outline: An officer applicant shall be enrolled in the Primary Reserve in the rank of officer cadet and may be promoted on the same day to a higher rank in accordance with Appendix 3.   So a CO can certainly request it, etc.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline FlyLikeAnEagle

• Rate Post
Re: New Recruit Pay Grade
« Reply #911 on: August 15, 2017, 17:11:56 »
So after how many years will i be a millionaire?  [:D