Author Topic: Tattoo Thread - including current policy [MERGED]  (Read 231874 times)

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
Re: Change in CF tatoo policy
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2004, 01:04:00 »
I was just told that we cannot get a tatoo even on the forearms only where it will not be seen. Anyone hear about that?

Offline Willy

• Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2004, 01:09:00 »
Did you read para 10 of the above?  Learn to get the facts from original sources for yourself, rather than listening to what some dumbass says when he‘s drunk in the mess.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2004, 01:15:00 »
Bob Km,
Better read your QR&O‘s there bud. You walk into a Military building, Class A or not, you come under the Code of Service Discipline. Doesn‘t say much for your Supervisors, letting you get away with that crap. I‘m sure they‘d love to hear you merde talking their lack of protocol. BTW, if you consider yourself such a gem, why would you even disgrace the Unit, Service or building showing up like that. Guess the cool factor overshadows all that, might be some new recruits or someone wanting to join handy to gaze upon your great example of a Regimental soldier. Bet the Vets just love having a beer with you. Push the envelope and pretty soon it pops, sucking you out into that great vast emptiness of Civieland. Their loss, our gain.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Just A Hick

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Monkey
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2004, 02:50:00 »
Defind "Duty" Going To work On your own Time, In Civvy To Get Some paperwork isn‘t "Duty". Something Has To Be Done.

Im Not here To be a Idiot(May Or Not Be), I love My Job Alot, Im just Pro tattoo And Pro Piercings.

No Harm In That ?? They Were More Happy I did it in Advance Then, Last Min.
The Beatings Will CONTINUE Until Morale Increases

Robert

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2004, 06:16:00 »
I said nothing about being on "Duty".
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline xFusilier

• Rate Post
  • Old Soldier
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2004, 07:44:00 »
What can I say,

You‘re just fortunate that Chocolate Thunder, Green Eggs and Ham, or Warrant Surley are no longer around.  They would have gone down to the RQ drawn a large magnet and removed them for you. The PLO sure ain‘t what it used to be.

Offline Old Cent Hand

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
    • http://N/A
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2004, 07:48:00 »
Obey orders and regulations , you can‘t go wrong. Even " Off Duty" , one still represents the CF. If one were to get drunk , throw up , and be totally obnoxious , in a bar ,while "off duty", people would say " He‘s an Army Guy".
Training, must be demanding ! What do you want ? Wimps , or Warriors!?

The Queen`s Bloggins

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2004, 19:14:00 »
If you want to see the full lineage of this decision check the DHH website on the DIN. They have the full minutes of the meetings that occur in Ottawa that concern dress, deportment, new clothing acquisition and touchy cultural issues.

It makes for interesting, and sometimes humourous, reading. It also gives you an idea how they go about making these decisions. If I remember correctly, this decision was heavily lawyered by the JAG before it was passed.

Many of the decisions they make take a year or more, due to the few times they meet per year. The committee is made up of scores of CWO/CPOs and senior officers, with some civilians who carry out the decisions. Check it out if you have time.

weeze

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2004, 22:52:00 »
I don‘t mean to milk a dead cow here,  but although i am not in the army yet I do have tats on my neck can I be turned down ?? i received my tat april 24, 2002,  if that matters
(birthday present)  :p

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2004, 12:07:00 »
If you‘re a reservist, you can technically get all the piercings you want as long as they‘re removed whenever you‘re in uniform. However, if you‘re on a class B or C contract, then you cannot acquire any, and cannot wear them at any time, since you‘re on duty 24/7/365. This also applies to the reg force. I‘ve seen plenty of people get busted for facial piercings, and as a medic, have even had to remove a few fresh ones because some stupid kid had something pierced on his weekend off.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Old Cent Hand

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
    • http://N/A
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2004, 19:41:00 »
Tats on your neck? I know numerous Regs , and Reserves , with tattoes, on their neck , and no one , " Bats an Eye". As long as the tats , are not offensive ( That is often in the eye of the beholder). You are " GOOD TO GO".
Training, must be demanding ! What do you want ? Wimps , or Warriors!?

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2004, 19:59:00 »
Willy, it was not by a drunk in the mess it was by a sargeant specifically mentioning new policy at our usual evening briefing.

Offline Willy

• Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2004, 20:26:00 »
"Members shall not acquire visible tattoos that could be deemed to be offensive".

"As of 1 April 2004 CF members are not to acquire any tattoos that are visible on the head, neck, chest or ears when an open collared shirt is worn".

These two statements, taken together, make no prohibition of any kind so far as tattoos on the arms are concerned, except with regards to potentially offensive tattoos.

My point was that you should read the reference yourself, rather than listening to what other people have to say on the matter, as other people are often wrong.  It doesn‘t matter if the guy is a Sgt or not.  Just because someone has rank, it doesn‘t mean he‘s neccessarily right.  I, for example, am often wrong.  So don‘t just take my word for anything either.  Look it up for yourself.

In this case, however, I think you‘ll find that I am right.  And your Sgt, if he told you that you aren‘t allowed to get tattoos on your arms, is wrong.

Edit-  I just checked your profile, and found that you are a recruit.  I guess it‘s probably asking a bit much for me to expect that you will know how to look up QR&O‘s yourself.  But my advice still stands: even though your NCOs will usually steer you straight, you should still keep your own eyes open.

Offline I_A_N

• Rate Post
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2004, 22:26:00 »
Boy am I glad on my RCMP week in ottawa in feb that i didn‘t let them mounties tlk me into getting my nip peirced! saved alot of problems! I almost got it done but thenI got lost and yea long story but phww am i glad now!

Offline Just A Hick

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Monkey
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2004, 00:05:00 »
I just had The Brefing, Today.

Still Gonna Wear Them.
The Beatings Will CONTINUE Until Morale Increases

Robert

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2004, 00:55:00 »
I never realized a little dangly piece of pirate jewelry was so important to some people.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

D-n-A

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2004, 00:21:00 »
We just got the talk too from our RSM.

Another thing brought up besides piercings an tattoos, no two-tone hair color, it has to be all one color, preferably natural, applies to both men and woman.

weeze

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2004, 00:40:00 »
until you have one (tat or piercing) they don‘t seem to make much sense, my first tat was a birthday present, and after I got it done I wanted another the very next day, its kinda like your own personal canvas to display anything you want.

At the risk of sounding sappy I find tat‘s and piercings to be a very strong way of expressing yourself without haveing to verbally do it.

and they look cool

commando_wolf63

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2004, 02:36:00 »
FYI the correct term for a plug is called a retainer. I can see the regulation for facial piercings as I find them distasteful. However what‘s the big deal if someone were to have a bellybutton or nipple piercing, as they would be covered by the uniform. A good piercer tells the piercee how to take care of their piercing to avoid infection so it is up to the piercee how well they follow the instructions for looking after their piercing.

TuRkIsH

Body art in the army
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2003, 14:05:00 »
I‘ve looked though the faq for recruiting and all and can‘t seem to find anything on tattoos.  I have probably more tattoos then your average joe, is this allowed or do they even care about them in the army? And yes some are visible even with a jacket and long sleeve shirt on.      :fifty:

mattoigta

Re: Body art in the army
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2003, 14:10:00 »
i think as long as they arent offensive then its ok

Andrew_Power

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2003, 15:27:00 »
Canada sucks in big letters red and white letters on some guys *** ...lol...now thats offensive

TuRkIsH

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2003, 16:02:00 »
hahahha i wouldn‘t think twice to punch that fool in the face if i saw that haha.  Yea nothing that would offend anyone on me so great, thx for the input fellas

Bringer

« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2003, 17:31:00 »
One of the guys in my BRT Platoon has over 30 tattoos, so it shouldn‘t be an issue at all.

Most of his are hidden, but he has a bunch on his wrists and forearms.

Offline Garry

• Rate Post
  • Retired
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2003, 18:31:00 »
No tattoos on face or hands.

Not sure what they‘d do if you had them prior to joining, figure it‘s a moot point.

Don‘t bring it up at the recruiter!

PS- if you are in the habit of punching people for views you don‘t like, I‘d avoid the combat arms...it‘s gonna hurt!

Cheers-Garry