Author Topic: To the Okinawan widow of a fallen Marine, a son is born  (Read 1592 times)

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
To the Okinawan widow of a fallen Marine, a son is born
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:21:21 »
By Chiyomi Sumida, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Article Link

CHATAN, Okinawa — Michael H. Ferschke III, the son of a Marine who was killed on a mission in Iraq last August, was born Friday on Okinawa. Hotaru Ferschke delivered the healthy child at 1:18 p.m. at a Japanese clinic near Kadena Air Base. He weighed 7 pounds, 8.8 ounces and was 19.7 inches long.

The much-awaited arrival brings to a close another chapter in a story that began Aug. 10, when Sgt. Michael H. Ferschke Jr., a team leader with Okinawa-based 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, was killed conducting door-to-door searches north of Baghdad.

It was exactly one month after Ferschke and Hotaru exchanged marriage vows by proxy while thousands of miles apart. Hotaru, supported by her in-laws, has vowed to raise her son in the Tennessee town where his father grew up.

Her son seems to be growing stronger every hour, she said Monday in her room at Yabiku Women’s Clinic. A framed photo of her and her husband taken before he deployed, as well as his ID bracelet, were at her bedside table.

"I told my husband that our baby has arrived, although I had a bit of a hard time," she said, looking at the photo.

More on Link

I'm sure it's not the first, nor the last but this is a touching story, nonetheless.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~