Author Topic: Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application  (Read 85078 times)

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
Re: Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2018, 14:44:11 »
I am currently a BC Ambulance employee looking for a contact of a Regular Force Medical Technician to ask some questions. Anyone know anyone that I’d be able to email or call?

There are a good handful of Med Tech's on this forum (PRes, Reg Force both serving and retired) and at least 1 Health Services Recruiter (if not more) - best to post your question here and someone will respond :-)

Offline Daksto

• Rate Post
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2018, 16:48:20 »
Good idea for sure,

1. Have you worked in a Provincial service and left it to join the forces as a Reg? Are you happy with that move? Do you still work PT civilian service?

2. Is there training up to a ACP?

3. Possibilities of even moving up to being a nurse?

Pretty much my t major questions I'd say. I have always wanted to join the forces thinking more seriously about it everyday.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2018, 17:04:10 »
Is there training up to a ACP?

Agreed, some of the biggest reasons why we only have a 17% maintenance of PCP license rate for Med Techs is operational / training tempo, geographic location of on-car opportunities, local ambulance service pre-requisites for on car rotations, and number of on-car billets available.

Paramedicine is provincially regulated. Requirements and issue of a licence to practice are set by the individual regulators.

In Ontario, to work as a PCP, you must be a licenced AEMCA,

5. (1) The operator of a land ambulance service shall not employ a person to provide patient care, whether on a full-time or part-time basis, or engage a person to provide patient care as a full-time volunteer, unless the person is a paramedic who, holds the qualifications of an advanced emergency medical care assistant ( AEMCA )

Recognition of QL5A & Challenge of AEMCA exam:

Reference A is a confirmation letter by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, recognizing the CF QL5 Med Tech as meeting the PCP requirements to challenge the AEMCA exam, all QL5 Med Techs are encouraged to prepare for and write this exam with approval through their Chain of Command.  Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario.

Pretty much my t major questions I'd say.

Not to dissuade you from joining. But, if you have any major financial  questions,

These are the top municipal earners from last time I checked ( 2016 ). Your earnings will surely be less. But, the potential is there. Notes are the same as above.
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,105151.msg1482454.html#msg1482454

Regular Force Non-Commissioned Members (NCM) Rates - Monthly Rates (in dollars) after March 2017
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-ncm-class-c-rates.page

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:08:44 by mariomike »

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2018, 07:14:39 »

3. Possibilities of even moving up to being a nurse?

Nursing is a completely different occupation. Being a med tech won't stop you from becoming a nurse, but it also doesn't give you a leg up towards becoming a nurse.    I know an MP who recently became a nurse, as well as master bombardier, and an infanteer. To be a nursing officer, you need a BSc in Nursing. You cannot simply level up or get promoted to Nursing Officer.
Keep in mind that Nursing officers are mostly administrators and paper pushers. In Canada, they don't get a whole lot of patient contact. On deployment is another story.