Author Topic: Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP) [MERGED]  (Read 39067 times)

Offline thomf

• Rate Post
Re: Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP) [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 13:37:51 »
I'm aware of the costs of RETP, and I do easily have cheaper options, but I'm not worry about money right now.

It's not that I'm not keen on military service, but its likely that I won't want to be doing the same thing when I'm 25 as I want now. As well, I'm only exploring RMC as an option right now, just trying to get a head start on whats going to happen after high school.

And thank you for clearing up my first question, I really appreciate it. Does anyone know anything about my other question?

Second question about RETP is what would it mean to graduate from it? On the RMC site it says "you will be commissioned as an officer in the Reserve Force and be expected to join a primary unit on graduation from RMC. " but I have also read posts somewhere where someone said after RETP you are free to do as you like.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 13:51:00 »
On the RMC site it says "you will be commissioned as an officer in the Reserve Force and be expected to join a primary unit on graduation from RMC."
It is an "expectation," in that RETP candidates tend to have an interest in Reserve military service. There is no obligatory service incurred, however, so you are free to do whatever you wish after graduation

....including putting "2Lt (ret'd)" on your business cards (and claiming to be a defence expert, like another retired 2Lt that the media loves  ;)  ).
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 13:56:50 »
....including putting "2Lt (ret'd)" on your business cards (and claiming to be a defence expert, like another retired 2Lt that the media loves  ;)  ).

Looks better than Cpl (ret'd).  They both have the same cred here.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 14:02:44 »
And thank you for clearing up my first question, I really appreciate it. Does anyone know anything about my other question?

Yes.

I have a couple of friends who were RETP students at RMC - one stayed in the PRes after school and continues to serve a few years later.  One graduated with an engineering degree and in the engineer trade (or EME, maybe it was?) and released shortly after finishing university because her civilian career path took her to a remote area with no unit for her to join.

The idea of going through RETP is just like anyone joining a Reserve unit.  The CF will invest a great deal of money in training them, and ideally wants to select people for that training who will put it to use in the service.  That said, like any reservist there's no commitment.

That said, I don't really "get" why anyone would choose RETP - all of the "fun" of RMC - and you have to pay for the "privilege"?  I get ROTP, the tradeoff of getting your education paid for - but someone who just wants to get a university degree and join the Reserve is probably better off going to a civilian university.  You'll earn a fair bit of money toward your tuition, and not deal with the additional "cultural activities" of RMC.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline thomf

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 16:29:33 »
Ok, I see, thanks guys.

I'm not even sure if I'll apply for RETP, just exploring all my available options, who knows, maybe in two years when I'm applying I'll want to check the ROTP box. I think RETP would be a good experience, without the commitment of ROTP, but from what I can tell, not joining the reserves after graduation would be "frowned upon"/not a good choice.

Offline DexOlesa

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 16:45:12 »
From my experience here, most people who signed up RETP are now trying to switch to ROTP. Take that for what its worth.

Offline thomf

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:23 »
Ok, thanks, I will think about it.

One question about ROTP then, after graduating, would it not be possible to pursue a higher level of education until after the 5 years are served?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 11:58:24 »
Ok, thanks, I will think about it.

One question about ROTP then, after graduating, would it not be possible to pursue a higher level of education until after the 5 years are served?

Paid education incurs obligatory service.  So, going on to do a Masters in Basket Weaving (2 year program) would add two years to the time you would have to serve.

If you're looking for a way to scam the system and not contribute to the CF, please don't bother to apply.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline thomf

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 12:25:35 »
Ok, thats good to know, thanks.

I'm not looking for a way to scam the system, I'm trying to find out what I want to be doing for the next chunk of my life, and want to find a way to work the system into it, as I am interested in contributing to the CF. This is in addition to other interests too though, which is why I'm trying to figure stuff out early, and learn about all the options I have.

Offline Laddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 18:58:42 »
Just to start off I did try searching the forums for an answer first but couldn't find one that spoke to my situation.

I've joined the Canadian Forces as a Private in the Primary Reserve but I was told that an individual could start on the road to become an officer even if they were midway through a university degree. I did some searching around and figured that they were referring to the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP), am I still eligible for this even though I'm already enrolled as a NCM, or do I have to take a different route to becoming an officer?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this has been answered before and I failed to find it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 19:11:48 »
Just to start off I did try searching the forums for an answer first but couldn't find one that spoke to my situation.

I've joined the Canadian Forces as a Private in the Primary Reserve but I was told that an individual could start on the road to become an officer even if they were midway through a university degree. I did some searching around and figured that they were referring to the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP), am I still eligible for this even though I'm already enrolled as a NCM, or do I have to take a different route to becoming an officer?

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this has been answered before and I failed to find it.

You are eligible.  Whether or not you are accepted will be up to your Leadership at your unit.  Have you approached them about this?  Are there even positions in your unit for another officer? 

If the answer is "YES" to both those questions, then they will handle it.  You will have to face a "Selection Board" where you and any other candidates will be interviewed and the best candidate(s) selected.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Laddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 19:16:23 »
You are eligible.  Whether or not you are accepted will be up to your Leadership at your unit.  Have you approached them about this?  Are there even positions in your unit for another officer? 

If the answer is "YES" to both those questions, then they will handle it.  You will have to face a "Selection Board" where you and any other candidates will be interviewed and the best candidate(s) selected.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will start approaching my CoC about this, I just needed clarification that I was understanding the RETP correctly.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 10:38:23 »
Thank you for the quick reply, I will start approaching my CoC about this, I just needed clarification that I was understanding the RETP correctly.

Actually, I don't think you are understanding the terminology correctly.

RETP is the same as ROTP but you would be attending RMC but assigned to the MILPERSCOM PRL as a Reservist while doing so.

As you have indicated that you are already a member of the PRes as an NCM and have used the term "midway through a University Degree", then I believe what you are looking for is "RESO (Reserve Entry Scheme Officer)", which is done through your local reserve unit.

Both enrolment plans lead to commissioning but are administered in a totally different way.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Laddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 04:50:47 »
Actually, I don't think you are understanding the terminology correctly.

RETP is the same as ROTP but you would be attending RMC but assigned to the MILPERSCOM PRL as a Reservist while doing so.

As you have indicated that you are already a member of the PRes as an NCM and have used the term "midway through a University Degree", then I believe what you are looking for is "RESO (Reserve Entry Scheme Officer)", which is done through your local reserve unit.

Both enrolment plans lead to commissioning but are administered in a totally different way.
Yes, actually you're right the RESO was what I was looking for, I did some reading after making that last post and came across that program, but thank you for clarifying further.

Offline Defender90

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 10:21:09 »
First post here.  I'm going to RMC in 2014 in RETP and I need to do some financial planning. My tuition and lodging will be about $3,500 per term.  Does anyone know how much I can expect to pay for books, dry cleaning, mess and varsity fees?  Also, in the joining info, no laptop computer is listed.  Will I be issued one?  Do they charge the RETP cadets for this? Lastly, I know the pay scale is Lt B, but how many duty days can I expect for the 2014 orientation/FYOP and for 2015 training?

Offline CFmom

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 11:27:54 »
You will not be issued a computer everyone supplies their own  and you will have to purchase  your own school supplies
There is no cost for books

Offline CFmom

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:37 »
I believe tuition lodging and mess fees added up to about $7500 for the entire year

Offline Defender90

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:46 »
Were you able to cover all your expenses from duty pay?

Offline CFmom

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 12:56:18 »
You should be able to cover costs after your summer training, we used osap to help cover cost for first year

Offline Defender90

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 14:12:21 »
Thanks CFMom.  Is my first term bill due when I report in August? I have a smallish RESP (thanks grandparents!) that I can cover most of the first year with.

Offline CFmom

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 14:46:05 »
I think payment was due for first term at the end of September and then again at end of January for second term.

Offline ChrisFreddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 06:56:29 »
Hello there

I would really like to enlist in the military through with the ROTP or RETP scheme. For RETP I've tried looking up information about it but I want able to find much about it. My question pertaining to RETP is, is it just RMC that RETP is applicable to? Or can I also do RETP through a civilian university? Also I have a question about Civilian Universities and ROTP for that. My question for that is do you get to pick what university you would like to go to if you choose to go to a civvie university? Also can you put ROTP (Civvie university) as your first option on your application.

Thanks and best regards
-C

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 07:29:37 »
RETP is only available at RMC.  Otherwise, you'd join a Reserve unit under the RESO program.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2015, 07:51:54 »
I would really like to enlist in the military through with the ROTP or RETP scheme. For RETP I've tried looking up information about it but I want able to find much about it. My question pertaining to RETP is, is it just RMC that RETP is applicable to? Or can I also do RETP through a civilian university? Also I have a question about Civilian Universities and ROTP for that. My question for that is do you get to pick what university you would like to go to if you choose to go to a civvie university? Also can you put ROTP (Civvie university) as your first option on your application.

dapaterson has answered your question about RETP, so here is the rest.

As an ROTP applicant, you will first be considered for admission to the Military Colleges, and if found suitable for admission, you will be offered to attend the Military Colleges.  You can select any recognized Canadian University of your choice when applying for ROTP and put that down as your first preference but the above will always take precedence, unless your program of study is not offered by RMC.   Also, all applicants are informed of the requirement to make application to a Canadian University.  Selection and attendance at a Military College, is never a given!!!   You need to have a backup!!!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline tessa.vanz

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2015, 14:56:18 »
In regard to RETP I was informed last year that they aren't accepting anyone into that program anymore, not sure if this has changed over the past year, but that's what I've heard.
Recruiting Center: Kingston, ON
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Nursing Officer
Trade Choice 2: --
Trade Choice 3: --
Application Date: September 2, 2014
First Contact: September 3, 2014
CFAT: October 27, 2014--PASSED
Interview Date: December 2014/October 2015
Medical Date: December 4014/October 2015
Merit Listed: June 2015/November 2015