Author Topic: Op PRESENCE/Mali (Cdn mission/s, sitreps, etc. - merged)  (Read 219211 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Op PRESENCE/Mali (Cdn mission/s, sitreps, etc. - merged)
« Reply #500 on: June 15, 2019, 17:06:46 »
Amazing. We can't get regular sustainment flights of C-17s into Canadian operations because they're constantly broken due to being run hard almost 24/7, but we can afford to give one up to help the Romanians out?  :facepalm:

I think it'd be more like adding a lift or two, but I could be wrong.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #501 on: June 15, 2019, 17:28:47 »
Or buy more C17's. The USAF is going to reopen production to meet its squadron expansion.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/airlift-tanker-annual/2018/10/26/could-the-air-force-restart-the-c-17-production-line/

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #502 on: June 15, 2019, 17:50:52 »
Or buy Antonov's AN 178 for a cost of 40 to 70 million each.

https://www.airplaneupdate.com/2019/04/antonov-an-178.html

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2019, 08:46:01 »
Or buy Antonov's AN 178 for a cost of 40 to 70 million each.

https://www.airplaneupdate.com/2019/04/antonov-an-178.html

Right in that article it says its main competitor (among others) is the 130J. We need more C-17s, split fleet will never work with the CAF.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2019, 18:39:20 »
Or buy more C17's. The USAF is going to reopen production to meet its squadron expansion.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/airlift-tanker-annual/2018/10/26/could-the-air-force-restart-the-c-17-production-line/

one could only hope if the line restarted we could jump in on them and get our selves a few more, say anywhere from 4-8 more, though I am pulling that number out of my butt, any expansion of our transport fleet would be welcomed.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #505 on: June 16, 2019, 20:56:13 »
Be better to look at replacing the airbuses.  They are all over 30 years old.  Replace them one for one with new A330 MRTT.  Now you have a long range cargo transport, a troop transport and an aerial refuelling aircraft  that isn't a museum piece.  Keep the C17 for outsized loads and missions.  And I am not an airbus fan by the way.  It just that it is accepted and flying while the B767 is still having problems

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #506 on: June 16, 2019, 22:47:21 »
Not a fan of Airbus? 
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #507 on: June 16, 2019, 22:48:49 »
Sorry first time posting using my phone.  Question - have we had any trouble with the Airbus fleet??    I agree replacing 1 for 1 with the A330 MRTT would be a simple & logical choice.  Boeing has some serious issues these days.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #508 on: June 17, 2019, 08:12:13 »
experiences only as a pax.  Always look like the historical Nissan cars (sorta cheap). 

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #509 on: June 27, 2019, 11:00:24 »
South African defence media says Canada's also still helping the French w/Op BARKHANE …
Half of all freight and personnel transported for the French-led Operation Barkhane in the Sahel is carried out by allied and European countries, France has revealed.

The French defence ministry on 25 June said its allies have since 2019 been responsible for 50% of freight and personnel transport for Barkhane forces, which are fighting armed terrorist groups operating in the Sahel region.

Spain has contributed 15% through the Mamba and Marfil missions from Gabon and Senegal. The logistical support provided by the British Chinook helicopters within the area of operation also weighs in with more than 15%. The United States (with almost 10%) and Germany (over 6%) are also strongly committed to Barkhane, as are Canada and Belgium, the French defence ministry said.

Since 1 January 2019 the United States and Canada have transported 315 tonnes and 43 tonnes respectively of freight, as part of the strategic routes linking France to the Sahel. In comparison, the French Air Force transported 676 tonnes of material over the same period ...

No such updates @ CAF's Op FREQUENCE page, although an official info-machine Tweet from mid-December 2018 says. "We sometimes provide airlift transportation for the French military to and from the Sahel region of Africa on #OpFREQUENCE. Recently, the CC-177 Globemaster transported 88,000 lbs of cargo over 26.4 hours …" - another mid-Dec 2018 Tweet here.

Attached also find French MoD update (in French) the story appears to be based on.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #510 on: July 11, 2019, 05:37:01 »
Mali crisis worsens as hundreds of thousands flee militia attacks

More than 200,000 people have been displaced since start of 2019 and about 600 killed

The UN’s peacekeeping mission in Mali has just had its mandate renewed, and although it pledges to protect civilians, researchers say in practice it does not allow its troops to pre-emptively disarm communities.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/11/mali-crisis-worsens-as-hundreds-of-thousands-flee-militia-attacks
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon