Author Topic: TCAT-PCAT info and questions ( merged )  (Read 84470 times)

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PCAT info/questions (merged)
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2017, 14:26:48 »
now that depends on how much of a pain you want to be.  You could go back to the unit and ask who they got the message from and when. 

It does happen sometimes that MELs are reviewed but usually the medical staff contacts the members.  On the occasion that I have had them contact me they don't leave such a message, they ask for contact information or for me to contact the member and have them call the medics without any details given.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline RCAF Old Timer

• Rate Post
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2017, 23:37:01 »
The only reasons I know of for them to ask you to do that is if you are up for TOS renewal or if you are being promoted.  Your P-CAT notification you received from D MED POL will state if your P-CAT has career implications, some do, some don't.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2017, 11:19:54 »
My concern is that I called the base hospital and they have no idea what he is talking about and stated the B-Surg isn't even on the base as they are away.

That sounds like the exact information to send to your CoC, to find out exactly what they wanted (or a contact name). "I tried to make an appointment, but the CDU doesn't know why I'm calling and BSurg is out of office. Do you have more details so I can follow your direction?"

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2017, 12:35:58 »
When I hear things like this, makes me wonder if the CoC is wanting the MEL's "revisited" or "clarified" - I use quotes because I've found over the years some people are illiterate in both official languages when it comes to some of these.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2017, 17:23:50 »
When I hear things like this, makes me wonder if the CoC is wanting the MEL's "revisited" or "clarified" - I use quotes because I've found over the years some people are illiterate in both official languages when it comes to some of these.

MM

:nod:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2017, 13:23:10 »
and if it's clarified they should contact the medical section themselves instead of wasting the members time. No harm in picking up a phone and saying I don't understand this and want to make sure we are taking care of the member....   
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2017, 17:26:14 »
and if it's clarified they should contact the medical section themselves instead of wasting the members time. No harm in picking up a phone and saying I don't understand this and want to make sure we are taking care of the member....

I am pretty switched on, and do my homework, when it comes to this stuff and I barely understand it. Asking the member for that information can be a waste of everyone's time.

Offline vulcan

• Rate Post
T-Cats and P-Cats
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2017, 12:48:38 »
I've searched and asked questions and can't seem to get any answers so now I'm reaching out on here (Please help me! [:() . I'm on a T-Cat (which I don't feel I should be on) and I want to get off to switch back to my old trade. I'll explain more.

I'm a reservist and I transferred from Wpns Tech to Inf (don’t ask, it seemed right at the time :P). Part way through my transfer I took a Permanent Class B contract on a base so instead of transferring me to an inf unit only for me to temp transfer to the base they decided to transfer me to the base. So my OT went through no problem and I don’t belong to an actual unit, just the base.

Last summer I went off to do DP1 Inf, I had a lot going on at home at the time and the stress from the course on top of everything else, asked if I could voluntarily withdraw from the course because of everything going on, was told I couldn’t and I ended up with migraines the first few days of the course and was placed on a T-Cat because of it.

Got back to the base and because I’ve only ever been a reservist and have never really heard about T-Cats didn’t know what I was supposed to do from there, so 6 months later after my first T-Cat expired I went to the MIR to ask to be taken off, which they didn’t want to do because I was still having migraines. I made the mistake of telling a doc that I’ve had them since I was 9 years old, but I’ve been in the reserves for the past 8 years and have only ever gotten the occasionally one as I am now. Decided it would be best to go back to my old trade as it was a bad decision.

I ended up trying a bunch of different drugs, which didn’t work and now Botox (also doesn’t work) which is being injected every 3 months, but NOW because I’m seeing a doc every 3 months for the injections, that’s a problem. I didn’t suggest this, it was a suggestion from the MIR.

My issue is I’m not under any limitations, I’m able to do everything that the normal, non-migraine sufferer is able to do, I’ve been in for 8 years and have gone on course every summer and participated in almost every Thurs night/weekend no issues.

My contract is almost up and as long as I’m on a T-Cat I won’t be able to apply and compete again. I do have an option civi side of being a Sheriff but where does that leave me with the reserves if I go back to being a Class A reservist? I don’t belong to a unit, I’m unqualified in my current trade, nor can I get qualified as I can’t go on a course so long as I’m on my T-Cat…Nor can I transfer back to my old trade where I was QL5 and PLQ qualified.

Like I said, I can do everything everyone else can do, courses, PT Tests, you name it. When I explained this to the doc all he said was well…you’re always going to have migraines so Ottawa will probably put you on a P-Cat. How does he know that I’ll always have them? Maybe one day I’ll wake up and never get them again, so if I’m put on a P-Cat is there any possibility of ever getting off of it???

Also, why are T-Cats not applied universally across the board? Obviously is one troop has diabetes he’ll be placed on a CAT, and so will any others with the same medical condition…so if I’m being put on a T-CAT for this, why isn’t every other person that experiences migraines?

Is there anyone I can go to for assistance on this?

Please help me  [:'(