Author Topic: Winter Profile  (Read 13797 times)

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Winter Profile
« on: December 02, 2007, 14:44:03 »
Thanks Mike, you think I don't have enough real snow as it is and you have to add it to my profile too?!?!   :P

Seriously though, it looks great!  Another bonus for being a subscriber!
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Winter Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 14:45:49 »
I had to find some place to put all the snow I shoveled off my driveway!

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 15:13:00 »
I like it. A plus since we have a lot of snow here now ;D
I am the one and only

Offline Rayman

• Can't decide between 89th Bty or 8 CH.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 15:15:05 »
Err...snow and electronics dont mix much do they?
"Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank" - Peter Griffin.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 15:17:34 »
.... "BRRRRrrrr
Chimo!

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 15:38:06 »

Now it's time for you to put up the lights too.       ;)

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline eurowing

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 15:39:02 »
I don't get you guys.  How cruel! This is a tough go on the island.  People are slipping in their Birkenstock sandals.  The temp has plunged to -2C.  >:D Why, a news announcer said it was so cold it took his breath away. :crybaby:

Seriously though, I have a 95 4x4 Tahoe (I had to buy a green vehicle, BC and all) and I am terrified of going out.  Most folks here have summer tires on and no clue how to drive in snow.  In a 40 km drive home we saw 3 cars upside down and 5 in the ditch.  At that time we had perhaps 3 cms of snow,  Now we have 40, I'm staying parked until I NEED to drive.

Shaking in fear in BC! :clown:
Played with RC Airplanes in sandboxes

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 15:43:04 »
I live in BC as well, have my entire life so far.. and one thing i can tell you is that drivers in vancouver apparently go stupid the first day it snows, they dont know what to do and end up being morons..
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 15:52:19 »
only on the 1st day it snows?
from my own experience (a guy from the east coast) the people of Vancouver go into silly mode each and every time snow comes down..... god knows, no one uses winter tires over there ???
Chimo!

Offline JBoyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 16:12:44 »
from my own experience (a guy from the east coast) the people of Vancouver go into silly mode each and every time snow comes down..... god knows, no one uses winter tires over there ???

I never said they stopped :P

and most vancouverites are under the impression that all-season tires do well in the snow.......  to be honest though the lower mainland is usually rain and not snow, but either way...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Offline Rayman

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 17:21:36 »

Same for Toronto but I dont think Torontonians know much about driving in the first (guess that includes me born in Downsview and all).

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 22:22:39 »
god knows, no one uses winter tires over there ???

Dont most of us have year round radials?  Who buys summer tires anymore?

Whats amazing is that a) its snowing, b) its slippery, so you should c) have a shovel or some sort of snow removal device in case you get stuck.  I passed one guy an hour ago, he was just sitting there on the street, stuck in a snowbank and spinning his tires.  Get out and get the snow from under your tires you freakin moron... 

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 22:29:53 »
Dont most of us have year round radials?  Who buys summer tires anymore?....

1) No, and 2) You'd be surprised.

I would say that folks who put a little time into knowing about cars or driving also take the time to run two sets of tires, summer & winter.

Even the coasts get enough crap that an "all season" is not.  In many cases, insurance companies will not cover you if you have an accident under snowing/icy conditions and did not have "M+S" rated tires.  Not many all seasons are M+S.

G2G

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 00:31:23 »
1) No, and 2) You'd be surprised.

I would say that folks who put a little time into knowing about cars or driving also take the time to run two sets of tires, summer & winter.

Even the coasts get enough crap that an "all season" is not.  In many cases, insurance companies will not cover you if you have an accident under snowing/icy conditions and did not have "M+S" rated tires.  Not many all seasons are M+S.

Its been a long time since Ive known anyone to run two sets of tires on their vehicles.  Ive been running all-season tires for years, as do most people I know.  But you bring up a good point, thats the first Ive heard about the M+S tires needed for insurance purposes, I'll have to look into that, or is that an Ontario thing only?

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 00:40:11 »
I've found that the M+S rated all seasons actually are for all seasons and do a somewhat adequate job during the winter.

I've made the leap back to running winter tires this year....and it's like night and day from the all seasons. Many people here in Pet do run them as well.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline eurowing

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:01 »
Absolutely winter tires.  Like night and day.  I can't believe the difference.  My 560SEC even has them although it derates the car to 210 kph. >:D 
Played with RC Airplanes in sandboxes

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 06:34:47 »
I've found that the M+S rated all seasons actually are for all seasons and do a somewhat adequate job during the winter.

I've made the leap back to running winter tires this year....and it's like night and day from the all seasons. Many people here in Pet do run them as well.

Regards

You may want to rethink that.  Snow Tires are produced with a different grade of rubber and materials.  They are not made for conditions over +10 Celsius.  What you do then is put excessive wear on them and replacing them more often.  Make sure you check the specs on the tires first.  Some are Mud and Snow and year round, some are Winter only.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Rayman

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 14:09:23 »
Winter tires have a three peak mountain on them and a snow flake on the inside. Thats how you can tell the difference between snow tires and all season. George is bang on about the rubber being softer so that its more pliable in colder weather-it helps with traction. The thing about winter tires being no good outside of winter is deffinately true too. Picture dragging a pencil eraser down the road the distance you drive to say the corner store or tims. The soft rubber and the warm or hot pavement dont mix. Other characteristics are deeper treads and a more aggressive tread pattern, deeper sipes, and holes for studs. However when buying winter tires always buy 4 for the whole car (or have really decent tires on the axle youre choosing to not equip). The reason for this is many people think you can put winter tires on the driving axle-in most cases the modern front wheel drive cars since this axle steers and drives. Actually is this more deadily as the traction provided by the front can actually cause the rear of your car to slide or fish tail easily (personally all I did was run good all season wet weather minded tires on the back and the Nordics on the front). Also when it comes to studding make sure you check your local by-laws as to what months your provincial government warrants the use of studs. Running them out of season can lead to tickets and fines. Studs are especially good for those who live in hilly areas and bridges that tend to ice up. Not a heck lot reason to explain there.....especially since ive been there before.

Canadian Tire learnt me good  ;D

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 15:18:33 »
Its been a long time since Ive known anyone to run two sets of tires on their vehicles.  Ive been running all-season tires for years, as do most people I know.  But you bring up a good point, thats the first Ive heard about the M+S tires needed for insurance purposes, I'll have to look into that, or is that an Ontario thing only?

I used to run all seasons when I still lived in the city.

Since moving here out in the sticks, I quickly perceived the wisdom of seasonal tires.  Both our vehicles now have two sets of tires - winter tires mounted on "non-showy" rims.  It takes me about 1/2 an hour in the spring and fall to change all eight tires over.  Since doing this, my wife and I have never felt in danger of hitting the ditch, or being stuck in the driveway (which happened to us when we first arrived with our "all-seasons")  BOTH trucks stuck - it was a gong show.

When we lived in the city, we could usually depend upon at least the main streets being plowed, and if we DID ditch (which neither of us ever did), a quick phone call would summon a tow truck, taxicab if the tow truck was going to be a while, and we could get somewhere warm while waiting.  Such is not the case here - although our road is usually well maintained, we ARE out in the sticks, no guarantee that a tow truck could get to us, and no guarantee of cell coverage to make the call in the first place. - the extra safety of snow tires was a no brainer for us.  We also pack chains.

If we were still in the city, we'd probably still be running all-seasons.  Like all risk management decisions, one needs to balance the cost of extra safety measures with the amount of risk involved in NOT taking those decisions.
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 15:22:58 »
If not mandated I think the Feds should give some kind of finacial incentive to those pers buying/using winter tires.  What a huge difference they make.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 15:25:35 »
You may want to rethink that.  Snow Tires are produced with a different grade of rubber and materials.  They are not made for conditions over +10 Celsius.  What you do then is put excessive wear on them and replacing them more often.  Make sure you check the specs on the tires first.  Some are Mud and Snow and year round, some are Winter only.

Hence why I'm running winter tires this year and all seasons for the other seasons.          ;)

I know the ratings and the compounds. It shocked my wife when she could move the sipes in the winter tires with her fingers compared to the AS tires.

Regards

-Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline MediPea

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 19:06:07 »
Got in an accident with my "all seasons" last winter, although it was freakish road conditions at the time. Definitely planning on purchasing some winter/snow tires when I get back to Edmonton for my X-mas leave soon. I'm driving quite the distance and think it will be well worth the investment.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 10:15:31 »
Considering the $$$ invested in a good car, it would be silly to nickle and dime yourself with a bad set of tires... an accident looking for a place to happen.
Chimo!

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 18:21:49 »
When we lived in the city, we could usually depend upon at least the main streets being plowed, and if we DID ditch (which neither of us ever did), a quick phone call would summon a tow truck, taxicab if the tow truck was going to be a while, and we could get somewhere warm while waiting.  Such is not the case here - although our road is usually well maintained, we ARE out in the sticks, no guarantee that a tow truck could get to us, and no guarantee of cell coverage to make the call in the first place. - the extra safety of snow tires was a no brainer for us.  We also pack chains. 

Good point... ah hell, I've lost my link with my boonie background and now Im thinking like a 'city boy'...

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 18:24:29 »
Considering the $$$ invested in a good car, it would be silly to nickle and dime yourself with a bad set of tires... an accident looking for a place to happen.

Yea, tomorrow I go for that $940 set of winter tire and rims.... :crybaby:
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 18:29:01 »
Its worth it.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 19:38:04 »
Good point... ah hell, I've lost my link with my boonie background and now Im thinking like a 'city boy'...

That's OK if you ARE a "city boy".  Could be hurtful if you're back in the boonies.

Linus van Pelt

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 19:14:59 »

Blade goes up... blade goes down... blade shift right.... advance.... *run over mail box*

Engage salt spreader, reposition Timmies cup, drive off like nothing happen. Double check for yellow winky ding is on.  ;D

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 19:26:13 »

Blade goes up... blade goes down... blade shift right.... advance.... *run over mail box*

Engage salt spreader, reposition Timmies cup, drive off like nothing happen. Double check for yellow winky ding is on.  ;D

Gawd DAMN!!  Where are you when I need you??  (I'm on the NORTH West coast)

Linus van Pelt

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 20:08:37 »
Gawd DAMN!!  Where are you when I need you??  (I'm on the NORTH West coast)

I love my job.  ;)

Drop me a line if needed.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 20:11:02 »

I love my job.  ;)

Drop me a line if needed.

I just did.

I do believe you're on the WRONG (from my point of view) end of the country.

Linus van Pelt

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 20:12:18 »
I just did.

I do believe you're on the WRONG (from my point of view) end of the country.

Yes.. yes I am. I"ll correct my fault now and move onto your location. Wait one... Oh... send me a LOCREP too while your at it.

On other note: I lay out more salt then what the Altantic Ocean has! You can tell I get bored at work.  ;)

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 20:23:07 »
I have heard of a car that got ran over one year at an army base . And the park car owner got nothing out of it. Due to the fact it was snowing bad out and he was illegally parked. Makes you think, huh?

Stupid Honda...  ;D

Edit: Due to being on the sauce...

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 00:32:25 »
Yes.. yes I am. I"ll correct my fault now and move onto your location. Wait one... Oh... send me a LOCREP too while your at it.

On other note: I lay out more salt then what the Altantic Ocean has! You can tell I get bored at work.  ;)

LOCREP (source - http://canadian-postal-codes.addressing.ca/TERRACE_BC.htm):

Latitude:
Longitude:

It's your move.

Linus van Pelt

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2007, 06:08:47 »
LOCREP (source - http://canadian-postal-codes.addressing.ca/TERRACE_BC.htm):

Latitude:
Longitude:

It's your move.

Oh my.... I totally need a new keyboard now. I hope the IT guys at work here don't mind. That just made my day.

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 04:56:00 »
Thanks Mike, you think I don't have enough real snow as it is and you have to add it to my profile too?!?!   :P

Seriously though, it looks great!  Another bonus for being a subscriber!
..Snow ???...S-N-O-W ???  What is this thing you speak of? 
Oh, that white powdery stuff that falls from the sky?  Yes, it does look nice for Christmas Day doesn't it? When it falls on trees...and what are those too ???
..wonderfully balmy here in...my office.. the AC cranking out 19 degs...I think the temp went to about +30 with little humidity today.  Ahh, shorts and sandals or jeans and a T ???
And the most important part of this message is....~~~I'll be home for Christmas, just you wait and see~~~{sorry best Bing voice I got}
Merry Christmas to All from Sandbox Jr.
 :salute:
 :cdn:

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 09:52:18 »
..Snow ???...S-N-O-W ???  What is this thing you speak of? 

Havn't you been doing SNIC there?  ;D
I hope you havn't forgot how to tow the sweeper!

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 01:51:35 »
SNIC here stands for Senior Numpty In Charge...no snow here...mind you it was a bit chilly this morning at 20 degs and foggy out.  But that has burned off now... :blotto:
Don't worry all, I know what I'm coming home to, 20cm of snow and a wonderful skating rink they call the driveway.  Wife already had a oopsy with the car and some ice. 
...The things you miss and the things you wish you had could fill a book.   :-\
 :army:

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 01:35:38 »
Someone just plugged in the lights!

Offline JBoyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 03:23:09 »
Been snowing here off and on for a few weeks now, but last night we got about 5 inches overnight. Went to sleep with the previous snowfall all but completly melted, woke up for work this morning and was very surprised.

On a side note, Roy your up in Terrace?

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 08:06:57 »
Yep, I plugged in Milnet last night and the rest of the sites this morning. It's tacky, garish and an eyesore... perfect!

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 08:09:53 »
Yep, I plugged in Milnet last night and the rest of the sites this morning. It's tacky, garish and an eyesore... perfect!
Finally, thanks Mike!  ;D I like 'em
I am the one and only

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 08:15:36 »
Been snowing here off and on for a few weeks now, but last night we got about 5 inches overnight. Went to sleep with the previous snowfall all but completly melted, woke up for work this morning and was very surprised.

On a side note, Roy your up in Terrace?

Yup - lots of snow, but temperatures hovering right around 0 with occasional highs of 5 to 6.

Linus van Pelt

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 08:37:08 »
Snow tires....absolutely. Had all seasons on  my truck last year during the gong show storm here in Dec (30 or 40 cm fell in the matter of 3 or 4 hours and paralysed the city...7 hours to do a 20 minute drive home!) and I had a lot of trouble with the all seasons. We're getting a lot of snow this year so far and more today...they are working a charm. As others have stated all 4 are necessary for maximum traction. I'm driving up to Ottawa in early January to begin my exile...uh IR.... and I'm thinking that these will give me piece of mind driving through the snow belt of northern NB and that area of Que between Edmudston and Riviere de Loup.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 09:06:28 »

Hmmm...I'm not seeing them.

-Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 09:12:41 »
Ctrl-reload or Shift-Refresh (Firefox/IE) should make them show.

Some will likely still see them in February, caching seems to be a problem in some places. :)

P.S. You may want to shield your eyes on the reload.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 09:20:13 »
Ctrl-reload or Shift-Refresh (Firefox/IE) should make them show.

Some will likely still see them in February, caching seems to be a problem in some places. :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........

Oh well, didn't need my retinas anyways!

Regards

-Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 09:39:34 »
oooohhhhh... XMass lights to go along with the snow!

Pretty!
Chimo!

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:30 »
Now all we need is snow on the "Army.ca" title in the upper right hand corner....and a sound track of Mike gooned trying to sing "Rudolf".

Regards

-Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 10:06:35 »
Stop encouraging him!
.But that's like :deadhorse:
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2007, 10:15:21 »
They look great Mike!  And like the big Christmas kid I am, I had to check out how it looked on all 4 sites!

Happy Holidays to almost everyone....and a lump of coal for the rest of you.  :D
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 13:55:41 »
I think the DWAN has a network cache that is responsible for a lot of that. 

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2007, 13:58:40 »
I think the DWAN has a network cache that is responsible for a lot of that. 

Yep.  I still have pumpkins at work, no matter how many times I try to reload/refresh.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 05:24:06 »

Not quite as bright now Mike, you've got a few burnt out.  You should use LED next year,they'd probably be a bit easier on power for the server!  :D

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2007, 05:26:37 »
Hahah, you noticed!

And LED? Never! I'm an old-fashioned coal-fired hot-to-the-touch greenhouse-gas-emitting blind-the-neighbours painted bulb kind of guy.

None of this vaguely flickering stuff that looks like it was saved from the local peeler bar before it went under.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2007, 13:13:59 »
Burnt out simulated lightbulbs...nice touch!

Next... blinking Xmas lights?

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2007, 13:35:44 »
Hahah, you noticed!

And LED? Never! I'm an old-fashioned coal-fired hot-to-the-touch greenhouse-gas-emitting blind-the-neighbours painted bulb kind of guy.

None of this vaguely flickering stuff that looks like it was saved from the local peeler bar before it went under.

I concur.  The old-fashioned bright stuff looks much better! 

Reminds me of a story.  I was in the City of Whitehorse a couple of years ago for a Namesake City visit with some other members of my ship.  The mayor was telling us how someone had done this big study on how much the city could save on costs by investing in LED XMas lights for the city displays.  The city went ahead and purchased all new lights.  Then they discovered a slight problem.  There wasn't enough heat in the LEDs to melt the snow that fell on them and therefore nobody could see the lights anyway!  So much for those savings.