Author Topic: Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)  (Read 277006 times)

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
Re: Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)
« Reply #400 on: September 08, 2017, 20:41:46 »
And I ended up working at Route Survey for a year as the Side-scan SONAR tech.

Good times.

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2019, 19:40:40 »
11?

So at 12 MCDV, does that mean Canada’s Navy has more of something than the USN? ???

And they're (slightly) newer! 

Well that gives us an opportunity to be a very useful card in the deck, send a Halifax and say 3 MCDV's to the gulf, two on duty, one in reserve. I am no expect but I feel like we would become a very crucial coalition asset if tensions flared up.

Yes, except that our MCDVs are steel hulled and the engines aren't shock-mounted, so we'd sweep acoustic and magnetic mines once.  The Avenger-class is wooden hulled and (I think) engines are dampened specifically to try and prevent acoustic mine detonation. 

I'm not nearly as swept up (haha) as I should be on the MCDVs anymore but I doubt people are still training on the actual MCM side of things?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #402 on: August 06, 2019, 20:27:38 »
And they're (slightly) newer! 

Yes, except that our MCDVs are steel hulled and the engines aren't shock-mounted, so we'd sweep acoustic and magnetic mines once.  The Avenger-class is wooden hulled and (I think) engines are dampened specifically to try and prevent acoustic mine detonation. 

I'm not nearly as swept up (haha) as I should be on the MCDVs anymore but I doubt people are still training on the actual MCM side of things?

We actually haven't swept using mechanical mine sweeping gear in many years. We have however brand new degausing gear and have the REMUS AUV's for mine detection. Two MCDV's deployed to Europe last year and was attached the NATO mine sweeping group. My ship is currently getting ready to do a MCM WUP's later this month. We do have the ability to this however I doubt the adults would send us over.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 22:13:31 by Chief Engineer »
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #403 on: August 06, 2019, 20:59:17 »
We actually haven't swept using mechanical mine sweeping gear in many years. We have however brand new degausing gear and have the REMIS AUV's for mine detection. Two MCDV's deployed to Europe last year as was attached the NATO mine sweeping group. My ship is currently getting ready to do a MCM WUP's later this month. We do have the ability to this however I doubt the adults would send us over.

That’s a shame, Chief! :not-again:

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #404 on: August 06, 2019, 22:15:00 »
That’s a shame, Chief! :not-again:

Then again I never thought they would be sending our ships to Africa either, you never know. I did hear talk about sending ships over that way.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #405 on: August 06, 2019, 22:23:14 »
Then again I never thought they would be sending our ships to Africa either, you never know. I did hear talk about sending ships over that way.

We sent Iltis to Afghanistan... for a short period of time.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #406 on: August 06, 2019, 23:43:47 »
We actually haven't swept using mechanical mine sweeping gear in many years. We have however brand new degausing gear and have the REMUS AUV's for mine detection. Two MCDV's deployed to Europe last year and was attached the NATO mine sweeping group. My ship is currently getting ready to do a MCM WUP's later this month. We do have the ability to this however I doubt the adults would send us over.

If they do, hopefully they install a 35mm in a RWS to discourage visitors.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #407 on: August 07, 2019, 12:51:37 »

A hunter-killer submarine in the area would be more to my liking but, then again, I'm a 'one way soldier' and shouldn't be connected with maritime strategy in any way ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #408 on: August 07, 2019, 13:20:07 »
Yes, except that our MCDVs are steel hulled and the engines aren't shock-mounted, so we'd sweep acoustic and magnetic mines once. 

One of the main issues inhibiting the use of the MCDV's is the 1944 public (and politicians by default) perceive naval mine warfare as not having advanced since then. 

With all these new UXV's why would anyone actually go into a minefield, when UAV's can look for surface mines and UUVs can look for bottom mines.  Ship stays out of the minefield and sends its minions in.  If you want to mechanically sweep you use a helicopter for that.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2019, 13:23:16 »
Well the public/politicians think that all sea mines float on chains with pointy things all over them and subs travel through the sea making a lovely "pinging" noise.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2019, 17:14:31 »

Why 35mm?  Do we have other weapons that use that calibre?  Why not 25mm to be in line with the LAVs or 20mm for CIWS? 

It'd be much easier on common parts, ammo, etc.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #411 on: August 07, 2019, 18:42:21 »
One of the main issues inhibiting the use of the MCDV's is the 1944 public (and politicians by default) perceive naval mine warfare as not having advanced since then. 

With all these new UXV's why would anyone actually go into a minefield, when UAV's can look for surface mines and UUVs can look for bottom mines.  Ship stays out of the minefield and sends its minions in.  If you want to mechanically sweep you use a helicopter for that.

Thats exactly what we do.

كافر

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #412 on: August 07, 2019, 23:54:52 »
“One of the main issues inhibiting the use of the MCDV's is the 1944 public (and politicians by default) perceive naval mine warfare as not having advanced since then.”

You’re right, and it’s especially a shame since it was the US that mined Haiphong harbour, and thus re-proved the relevancy of naval mines, and mine hunting, since it was the USN which removed the very same mines in short order as a commitment to the Peace Accords.
Living the lean life

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2019, 17:55:47 »
Thats exactly what we do.

;D I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my comments there.   ;D