Author Topic: Auroras for Afstan?  (Read 25713 times)

Offline x-zipperhead

• Rate Post
Re: Auroras for Afstan?
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 18:13:41 »
Back to the Aurora in Afghanistan, would the threat of a MANPAD/AAA to a full Aurora crew not necessitate the use of the PRED -B (ALIX) instead to facilitate an ISR role.

UAV'c certainly are a valuable ISR tool.  The Aurora is another tool in the tool box.  The Aurora has the advantage of having the increased spatial and situational awareness and adaptiveness that the crew provides.   You'd be surprised how much  the MK I  eyeball provides.  A UAV is limited to where it's sensors are looking and there is no way an operator on the ground can build the same situational awareness as a crew in the air.  You are correct that the crew is at risk (just as everyone accepts an acceptable level of risk to accomplish a mission) but those risks can mitigated a number of ways.  I don't think it would be appropriate to discuss the threat assessments and our ways of mitigating those threats via these means.  Rest assured we would not be blowing in somewhere accepting an unacceptable level of risk.

Maybe my friend AESOP friend (Cdn Aviator) can tell me the last time a Aurora had a weapon on its hardpoint. If he is  not to busy having a beer at the AESOPLounge.  ;D

I know this was not directed to me, but I would point out that it is common knowledge that the Aurora has a bomb bay that doesn't necessarily have to be filled with MK-46 Torpedoes ;)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 18:44:34 by x-zipperhead »

aesop081

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 18:23:54 »
Back to the Aurora in Afghanistan, would the threat of a MANPAD/AAA to a full Aurora crew not necessitate the use of the PRED -B (ALIX) instead to facilitate an ISR role.

The CP-140 would need a comprehensive self-defense suite. (ALR-56M?)

You should know better than to ask.

Maybe my friend AESOP friend (Cdn Aviator) can tell me the last time a Aurora had a weapon on its hardpoint. If he is  not to busy having a beer at the AESOPLounge.  ;D

i wouldnt know.  Far too busy having beers in North Island

Any takers for a TECHELINT (Sige 2810) in CFNOS Halifax Mar 19-09 Apr 07, check the DIN.  Cdn Aviator??

No thanks.

Offline hank011

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 19:29:03 »
I dont think we can discuss that here...but for giggles, I would suggest that between Hfx Gwood and Comox we have too many hangar queens to support it. But it must look awesome on paper.
I like the motto "If you're not deployable, you're not employable". It says tough things on the surface but never commits that we will either gainfully employ or deploy the individual. How accurate is that!
Competency is measured by relevancy. Silicone implants make both easier to ignore or enhance depending on your gender.