Author Topic: Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs  (Read 60793 times)

Offline Enzo

• Rate Post
  • Meh...
Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:40:02 »
So, what's the current ETA for a PLAR these days? I'm entering my 2nd month, getting the "next week" from CFRC, so, anyone got a ball park figure to toss around?

I'm an old hand with the waiting game, just trying to keep my morale up, see where the responses may fall within my personal betting pool.

Cheers....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 22:11:55 by kratz »
"Most people would rather analyse risks than take them"

Wallace Kaufman

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
Re: PLAR
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:40:47 »
Having just gone through that last year, and helping a few others with it this year, the answer is .....

Depends. One of the biggest variables will be which school/college/university/academy (etc) you received your qualification from. If it was someplace that already has had dealings with the Forces (RMC, U of M, Mun, what used to be NSIT, etc) it will potentially be quicker and more pain free. However, if your qualification comes from an institution that the CF has never heard of, it will take some time. The process is not straight forward if an equivalency has not already been determined it will take some time.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Enzo

• Rate Post
  • Meh...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 18:58:00 »
The majority of the information is in house. I have some prior education/training in trades, but I don't think that would be much of an issue. I have a commercial pilot's license, but I'm returning to the army so I doubt that would come into consideration. I'm returning to the infantry as an NCM, so I'd like to believe that it won't go past 2 months.

I don't mind the waiting, but a timeline would be nice. I keep hearing "soon." I love that.
"Most people would rather analyse risks than take them"

Wallace Kaufman

Offline nate

• Rate Post
Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 14:15:24 »
hello to anyone who can answer my question.  The recruiting centre told me that I need to have a prior learning assesment done in Borden because I have prior service.  I am wondering how long this usually takes.  I was told that Borden is entitled to 60 days to make a decision, but I just wanted to know if I can expect a long wait (2 months) or if things are going through quickly.

thanks,
nate

Offline LeonTheNeon

• Rate Post
Re: prior learning assesment
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 14:26:55 »
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5031/1_e.asp

Doesn't really talk about the time frame of PLAR here, but tons of other info.  I couldn't find anything time frame related.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 15:54:39 »
In your case, this is probably tied to your Verification of Former Servie - they need to see what has changed since you left, and determine what qualifications they can grant you on enrolment.  If you've taken any civvy-side courses or maintained any technical skills since your release (and can document them) those factors may also come into play.

Timelines depend on who is tasked to do the assessment(s), what else they have going on, and how long ago you served - if they have to dust off 1973 course standards, it might take a while...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline nate

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 16:55:14 »
my release date was Jan. 05 (medical category change that has just been resolved, long story).  i graduated BMQ and was partially through my SQ course when my category changed.  so the only qualifications i have are BMQ.  So is the prior learning assesment just to see if i will be granted a recruit school by-pass?  If that is it, can I assume that a decision will be make quickly, if they are not back logged in Borden?

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 21:22:31 »
That should be (relatively) painless, unless you're applying for a skilled trade with civilian training and experience (say, for example, you're a mechanic on civvy street applying to be a vehicle technician).
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline nate

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 20:25:28 »
On civvy street i am a ticketed welder, but i applied for 291 comm resch op. since that trade's occupational medical category matches my changed category. And i have no related 291 experience at all.  thanks for your posts, hope everything moves quickly.

Offline Sigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 17:21:54 »
better than starting a new thread...

Anyone know what unit in Borden does the PLAR?
-VVV-

Offline ken_TO

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 20:12:53 »
My file was on PLAR for 2 months, and that was quick because before it was put on PLAR, I was told that my papers will be cleared fairly quickly.  I finished at University of Toronto and had all my license, diplomas and certifications.  During in which your file is on PLAR, they may ask for more paperwork. In my case, I had to drop off something at least once a week.

Offline CFR FCS

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 21:53:12 »
PLAR's are sent to CFRG in Borden and if it's simple then they process within two weeks. CFRG in Borden can only grant a basic training bypass called RSBP or IAP bypass based on past military service. ALL other qualifications must get submitted to the Managing Authority of that particular trade.

As an example: You have a civilian licence as a mechanic then CFSEME who teaches vehicle techs has to review the PLAR to determine what if any credit you will get and any training you can bypass.

So it depends on the qualification you are seeking and how detailed the PLAR is how long it takes.

Those who live by the sword will be shot by those of us who have progressed.

Offline aussiechangover

• Rate Post
  • working on my Australian to Canadian translator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 12:28:01 »
I wouldn't be too concerned with time frames for these i'm still waiting for mine to be finished and it's been 14 months now, although I did hand them about 500 pieces of paper. It will start off slowly then when you are enlisted it may take a little more prompting to people to continue to chase it up for you.

Offline Sigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 12:51:21 »
I am just trying to get back in the forces - same trade. I have ql3. I was told it would take 2 days. But it has been 2 months.
My old Sgt told me to contact them to make the file priority.

We shall see.
-VVV-

Offline muffin

going through the motions.

• LMS Admin at ALSC - CTC Gagetown
  • Rate Post
  • ~~~ Gee, I wish I was back in the army.......
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 17:57:57 »
better than starting a new thread...

Anyone know what unit in Borden does the PLAR?

PLAR for Military qual is done by DLM at CDA in Kingston.
http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/DLI/engraph/services/accred/cfmep/cfmep_e.asp

PLAR for University equivalences is done by the PLAR section of DCS at RMC.
http://www.rmc.ca/academic/registrar/programme/p003_daccred_e.html

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."
Soviet infantry manual

Offline Sigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 10:09:17 »
I was advised by kingston CFRC staff that my PLAR is in Borden...
Thanks all for the info.

I would assume, from speaking with my BOR pre release, and from most other sources, that the whole re application process should be speedy, as the fact that A. I was out a year; B. I am in sup res; and b. All my docs (MPRR, Med docs ets) were available at my unit.

But I suppose I shall continue the old game: watch and shoot.
-VVV-

Offline scott_gallant

• Rate Post
Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR) Information
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 17:12:20 »
I have been waiting for quite a while for the results of my PLAR that the CF is doing as I curently work as a med lab tech which they consider a skilled trade. They told me today that they are hoping to look at it this week but can tell me that I am medically fit, so the PLAR is the only thing they are waiting for.  Can anyone point me in any direction for more information on the PLAR, timelines, etc. I did a search, and can f ind lots on PLAR, but it seems as though it is mostly when people are going from reserve to reg force. I am hoping to get into basic in November, as I know of at least one person that found out today that their start date is Nov 23/09.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 17:18:37 by scott_gallant »

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
Re: Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR) Information
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 17:24:50 »
Much like everything else about the recruiting process, times can vary. Especially with something like a PLA from a civilian qualification. The only case in which I would expect someone to have the exact same processing time as you would be if they had the exact same qualifications as you, being processed by the same person, with the same amount of back-log on his/her desk, at the same time of year, when they're in the same mood.

Seriously, you've been given an estimate of hopefully sometime this week. That's about as good of a guess as you're going to get from anyone.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Retired FDO

• Rate Post
  • Swallowing the anchor after 32 years.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 18:18:57 »
For a PLAR we send all your information on education and work experience to the Managing Authority of the trade (Career Manager's office) and he/she makes a decision on what you get offered based on the trade and trade specs. It could take a few weeks while the MA looks at all the info. It's out of the hands of the Recruiting Centre.
A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"   Author Unknown

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure

Offline UK2CA

• Rate Post
  • Corps of RCEME
    • REME
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 07:15:31 »
Mine took about 3-months.
'By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.' - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Biathloneil

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 16:46:20 »
Mine took about 3.5 months. Patience Grasshopper.

Offline Bubbs25

• Rate Post
Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR )
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 19:41:29 »
Good day,

I am just wondering if any one out there can tell me the process that happens on a PLAR?  How long does it take for a decision on the PLAR and if anyone has any info that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bubbs_25
The best defence of the country is the fear of the fighter. If we are strong in fighters we should probably never be attacked in force. If we are moderately strong we shall probably be attacked and the attacks will gradually be bought to a standstill. . . . If we are weak in fighter strength, the attacks will not be bought to a standstill and the productive capacity of the country will be virtually destroyed.

— Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding

Offline SGT-RMSCLK

• Rate Post
  • Retired
Re: Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR )
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 21:09:36 »
Depending on what you are looking to get credit for it could take days to months.  Your OR should have the PLAR form and will be able to help you complete it.  The more documentation you provide the better.  IE:  Course Reports, Academic Transcripts, etc.  Again, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 21:34:12 »
DAOD 5031-1 also talks about the PLAR process and may be of some assistance.

MC

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:10 »
Like SGT-RMSCLK says...it depends.

An academic PLAR at RMC, with credits from a Canadian university, can be done in a week (usually 3-4 weeks).

A qualification PLAR from LFDTS (I have no idea who does the Airforce or Navy PLARs) takes months, and that's if all your course reports are together and your justification is strong. They consult/get recommendations from the respective schools, look over course equivalencies, see which outdated courses translate to what new qual, etc. It can be fairly complicated, hence takes more time.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?