Author Topic: Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]  (Read 30811 times)

Offline Kendrick

• Weekend Warrior
  • Rate Post
  • Nulli Secundus
    • My MSN Space
Re: Ceremonial Guard (CG) Mega Thread [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 22:26:48 »
What a shitty job... im glad im doing ennemy force in Val  ;D  .  Might be 2 weeks less of pay, but can you put a price on mental health  ;)

BTW RMR is sending like 20 guys this year... almost every Pte/cpl available for this summer.

Have you ever done CG?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato

Offline Mignault.J

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 23:13:20 »
I'm excited, regardless of what Da-Man says, I had the option of doing enemy force in two diffrent places....I turned them down for CG, Only 9 hours to go! :cdn:

Offline Kendrick

• Weekend Warrior
  • Rate Post
  • Nulli Secundus
    • My MSN Space
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 23:19:36 »
You'll have a good time with an attitude like that.  No matter what people may say, I believe it to be a good experience for anyone who does it.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
Plato

Offline HighlandIslander

• disapproves of pants
  • Rate Post
  • Accueillons vos Canadiens!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 23:30:17 »
I'm excited, regardless of what Da-Man says, I had the option of doing enemy force in two diffrent places....I turned them down for CG, Only 9 hours to go! :cdn:

Another thread that may interest you can be found at http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,40331.0.html.

From what I'm seeing, the CG crowd is divided pretty well between two groups, and it doesn't seem to be the thing for everyone. If da_man doesn't want to do it, don't get all up in arms about it, at least he's still working with the Forces in one capacity or another for the summer. Enemy Force in Valcartier is better than flipping burgers...

Offline Lost_Warrior

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 19:52:13 »
What a shitty job... im glad im doing ennemy force in Val

Who are you doing enemy force for?  I was offered to do it for an SQ course, but things changed at the last minute (big suprise)

I had a buddy who did it for a Reg Force SQ course for the R22R last summer and he said it was all c0ck...they made them do all the crappy jobs that the course staff didn't want to do (go gather brass after the candidates left the range.  Fill sand bags, clean rooms, etc etc...and basically everything BUT enemy force)

Have fun.

=Non nobis sed patriae=
=Not for ourselves but for our country=

Offline begbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 08:54:12 »
I hear that CG couldn't get enough people to fill all the positions so they've amalgamated the 2 company's into one giant coy.  I also heard that means the work cycle will be 6 days on, 3 days off for everyone.

Offline reccecrewman

• Another fine day to be in the Corps..............
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 21:11:00 »
I'd actually like to do it........... Just to say been there, got the t-shirt.  I think it'd be a good experience and something different rather than the same old taskings down Gagetown way.  Alas, I wear a black beret and am Regular Army........... I think that disqualifies me...... Anyhow, to all participating, have a good summer, you're part of a Canadian icon that people from all over the world come to see each year.

Regards
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference....... Soldiers don't have that problem.

Better to die fighting, standing on your feet than to live life serving on your knees.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 22:57:35 »
LOL J- how did I know you'd be the first to answer this thread?

Yeah, so far (two days in) looks like it's going to be frantically busy for a couple weeks, then once we're shuffled into rotation it should run pretty smoothly. Lots of work to be done, but nothing overly unexpected. Lots of drill, but it shouldn't be any harder for us than we make it. As long as we toe the line it should be pretty good times. Excellent representation of highlanders here this year.  ;D

I actually expect the summer to go by pretty fast...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Junius

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 19:25:53 »
We're all guards for the summer, Harding.

Offline Naralis

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2006, 10:05:49 »
After a week it hasn't been too horrible yet. Good weather for drilling outside and such.

Amazing how fast everyone is learning in the CGG platoon. No bullshit learn every move by squads. The staff shows the move, then we practice. Much easier to learn this way.

Offline HighlandIslander

• disapproves of pants
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2006, 15:04:05 »
After a week it hasn't been too horrible yet. Good weather for drilling outside and such.

To be honest, I'd rather have the really hot weather that everyone has been anticipating. Cool weather is always nice, but when you make the transition from 3B to scarlets and bearskin just as it heats up, it's doubly harsh.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2006, 22:36:31 »
We're all guards for the summer, Harding.

Yeah yeah. I know, but this is the 4th regimental cap badge I've worn in two years due to CG and my transfer. I'd like the opportunity to stick with an affiliation for more than 9 months without getting attached or transferred somewhere.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Highland Laddie

• Guardian of the Haggis
  • Rate Post
  • Dig in and Live!
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 15:27:38 »
When's your guy's first parade on the Hill? I'm in town from June 26-28th, and I thought I would take a trip down memory lane and view a parade. I seem to remember from my two summers on the Hill that the parades start the week before Canada Day.

EDIT - Further to my last, who are the NCOs & Officers from the CGG on the Hill this summer? Just wondering I know anyone, and if I can get myself and my kids in the VIP area. Cheers.

Offline Naralis

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 08:03:54 »
When's your guy's first parade on the Hill? I'm in town from June 26-28th, and I thought I would take a trip down memory lane and view a parade. I seem to remember from my two summers on the Hill that the parades start the week before Canada Day.

EDIT - Further to my last, who are the NCOs & Officers from the CGG on the Hill this summer? Just wondering I know anyone, and if I can get myself and my kids in the VIP area. Cheers.
We start the 24th of June at 10:00AM.

Maj Mckinnester is the CGG CO, I don't know the rest of their names.

Offline HighlandIslander

• disapproves of pants
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 20:47:51 »
We start the 24th of June at 10:00AM.

Maj Mckinnester is the CGG CO, I don't know the rest of their names.

Maj. McKinstry is the commander of the CG, not CGG. The rest of the staff is from all over, RCR. VanDoo, PPCLI, and assorted reserve units. PM me if you want names, Highland Laddie, they shouldn't go on an open forum.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2006, 06:58:02 »
Laddie, if you're in town on the 28th, we have our Governor General parade- Her Excellency wil be inspecting the unit on Parliament Hill.

We have our last day of intensive drill today; tomorrow and Friday are GG parade rehearsals, and then we're into the swing of things. It's been a long three weeks. At least the food's pretty good.

Oh, a head's up- the Fortissimo parade near the end of the summer should be pretty special this year. The CG band is cebrating their 25th, so the show will be a bit different. Instead of a Feu de Joie we're apparently going to do a rehearsed silent drill presentation that goes along in time to the band. Not up to the level of the USMC silent drill platoon, obviously, but our platoon will be putting the majority of the contingent together, and hopefully we'll have something cool to show the crowd. With luck not everything we do will be out of the drill pam.

Offline Fishandchipsandbeer

• Rate Post
  • "Better Than The Best"
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 21:49:37 »
Although there was already a thread pertaining to the Ceremonial Guard in Ottawa, it was locked ages ago.

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the current training schedule for the Ceremoial Guard, in the event that the situation has changed in the past couple of years.

Specifically, I was wondering if, after parades were done for the day, any training would be conducted that might be beneficial to a fellow who is already qualified DP1, Comms (former Sig Op) and driver.

I would be much obliged for any up-to-date information anybody could offer me.

If this is in the wrong forum, please relocate it.
"She fulfilled, you see, four of the five conditions necessary for what may be called the Australian Ideal — she was an immensely rich, stunningly beautiful, highly-skilled professional amorist with the sexual appetite of a pagan princess; she did not own a public house."
-Flashman and the Dragon, George MacDonald Fraser

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 22:00:21 »
Although not the best site for information, some info can be found here.

And here at the offical site.

Hope this helps.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline logan7979

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 09:15:04 »
Its CG,

Doesnt matter what the schedule is, if you have a poor attitude you will not enjoy your summer.
Every soldier that complains about CG, is in my opinion a bad soldier. Especially when you get the old, im bad at drill but good in the field.

As a reservist i learnt the most at CG, its not like weekend exercises are frequent, and its rare you land a good class b ex.
Not to mention my 3 summers of class b gave me a nice pay scale when i joined the FO.

If i were you, i would draft a PT schedule and pass it up the 1st day, that way once Drill and Duties is over you can do pt on your own time in the afternoon...thats if your sect cmdr is cool. Afternoon training is filler either way, use your head, find a way to enjoy your summer, you have time to get in rockstar shape, read 1000 books, date 4-5 ottawa girls...whatever

Bonne Chance

Offline Panzer Grenadier

• Rate Post
  • " I Can See You....."
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 09:49:16 »
Although there was already a thread pertaining to the Ceremonial Guard in Ottawa, it was locked ages ago.

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the current training schedule for the Ceremoial Guard, in the event that the situation has changed in the past couple of years.

Specifically, I was wondering if, after parades were done for the day, any training would be conducted that might be beneficial to a fellow who is already qualified DP1, Comms (former Sig Op) and driver.

I would be much obliged for any up-to-date information anybody could offer me.

If this is in the wrong forum, please relocate it.

F&C&B, I'm with the Governor Generals Foot Guards in Ottawa; and this being my 3rd summer doing cg, here's what I have heard through the grape vine so far (take it with a grain of salt, as I have):

- Grenadier Guards are no longer officially part of CG anymore
-33 Brigade has taken over how many spots that each area gets (as of right now LFWA/LFAA gets 1 Platoon each and LFCA gets 2 Platoons worth of troops that they must supply for CG this summer)
-It is to be run by reg force personnel, which has been understood to mean that once parades are done we are dismissed, no afternoon training
-4 days on/off rotation

NOTE: As this is CG, things change very quickly, so again this is what I have heard through the grape vine and I am on the lower end of the food chain. 

I did get to look at the preliminary list of Foot Guards going this year and my name was on it.  It seems that the Foot Guards were much more selective this year on who they were going to send - being very dependant on attendance over the training year.  Plus the fact that LFCA gave us very few spots for Guards, which is odd seeing how we are one of the primary suppliers to CG.
"We should take the Electric Stairs."

Offline Fishandchipsandbeer

• Rate Post
  • "Better Than The Best"
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 14:57:10 »
Thanks for the info, folks.  Never would've thought there'd be such detail on the work schedule of the Ceremonial Guard on Wikipedia.

It's sort of a downer to hear that there mightn't be any afternoon training scheduled for the summer; ordinarily I'd be quite happy to spend my afternoons in Ottawa at the beach, or doing PT, or down the pub, or chasing the local girls - it just would've been nice to get some infantry-related professional development done.

The bit on a platoon coming from LFAA seems accurate; the list of summer taskings we've got posted up shows a dozen or two - I never counted - positions for the CG.

I'd be greatful for any additional information which may be forthcoming.
"She fulfilled, you see, four of the five conditions necessary for what may be called the Australian Ideal — she was an immensely rich, stunningly beautiful, highly-skilled professional amorist with the sexual appetite of a pagan princess; she did not own a public house."
-Flashman and the Dragon, George MacDonald Fraser

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 15:05:29 »
Thanks for the info, folks.  Never would've thought there'd be such detail on the work schedule of the Ceremonial Guard on Wikipedia.

It's sort of a downer to hear that there mightn't be any afternoon training scheduled for the summer; ordinarily I'd be quite happy to spend my afternoons in Ottawa at the beach, or doing PT, or down the pub, or chasing the local girls - it just would've been nice to get some infantry-related professional development done.

The bit on a platoon coming from LFAA seems accurate; the list of summer taskings we've got posted up shows a dozen or two - I never counted - positions for the CG.

I'd be greatful for any additional information which may be forthcoming.

In my 8+ years this is the first time I've heard of positions for LFAA/37 CBG at CG. I think we might even be sending one Engineer there too.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline helpup

• How in hell did you manage to fit that in there?
  • Rate Post
  • Yah Yah is up there with Bud's as anoying.
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 16:15:20 »
I was Pl WO there 2 years ago and put through the BMQ Crse that went directly there last summer but got posted back to 3RCR before CG stood up fully.  Here is what I can recall of what we did, bearing in mind that it does change "evolve" regularly.
-It has been open to other units outside of the GGFG / CG although who gets Posn depends on the Area Cmd
-Your first couple of weeks on the ground are going to be doing intensive drill to learn the Parade routine.  including work ups kitting and drill I believe it was 3 weeks worth in total.
-Once the Guard's have stood up you will be broken down into shifts. Along the lines of Pl, when I was there it was along the lines of 6 on 3 off schedule ( they tried to work it out so you had at least a certain number of full weekends during the CG time frame but some times your 3 off was during the week.   ( note this was two years ago and i may be off by a day or so for the shift work ) The year previously and for the most part they had a 4 on 4 off schedule but that will depend on the total numbers they have to work with. 
- When your on, one of the Pl will provide the Old Guard ( 1 Pl " Div" worth of troops on troops on the hill the other at the GG's residence) The other Pl will do the new guard ( 2 Pl worth "2 Div's" )
- This schedule was done for us as 3 Days New Guard 3 Days old guard 3 days off. 
-New Guard had after noon training as they didn't have to man the GG residence.
Old Guard had Training at the GG residence for the Div there and the one in Carlton did other training or kit maint or make up drill as required. 
-If you are BMQ/SQ qualified expect to be put into a Pl that has other soldiers with your Qual in. That Pl will have a Training Schedule in the afternoons that will run the gammit from productive QL3's if they can man it, for example PSWQ. 
- This Training can run the gammit from get a qualification out of it.  Or it can be refreshing skills you should already have.  And yes it can also be ( I hate this term) make work projects.  Although that will depend allot on the skills you have inbedded with your NCO's or Officers. 
-Normally those that are only BMQ Qualified are put in a Pl and taught a SQ during the summer on the weekends.  It is a logistical nighmare at the NCO / Officer end but troop end usually less so. 
-there has been will be days you have nothing to do so off to the beach/bar you go.
-there has been and will be days you are doing nothing for nothing or drill as you messed it up.  It is the army.
-This does change as mentioned due to numbers available.  Who is running the show, availability of NCO's ( Qualified in what ever skills )
- Mounting the Guard will take precedence over all things. 

Having said that as a Reg Force member who had a chance to work down there with the GGFG.  I have to say it ranks up there with one of my most enjoyable times in the army.  I am a Sgt qualified 3B who was Pl WO for a BMQ, and a Pl WO for a 60 some odd man Pl who also acted as the Div Sgt Maj on the hill.  And come on how many Canadians can say they watched the changing of the guard parade from the roof of the Parliament building.
she turned me into a Newt!!

Offline HighlandIslander

• disapproves of pants
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 16:45:43 »
The rumor of no CGG pers serving with CG was tossed around a lot last summer as well. IIRC it was refuted by the area CWO himself towards the end of the season...but on the other hand, if CG is shying away from 34 BGC and/or SQFT as a whole, it could explain why not a single member of our unit was accepted this year.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:53:10 by HighlandIslander »

Offline Panzer Grenadier

• Rate Post
  • " I Can See You....."
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 17:00:30 »
HighlandIslander that is what I have heard through my rumor mill as recently as last night, now whether or not that will change is still up in the air, as is most things regarding CG.

helpup, I was at CG in 06 and last summer (I was also there last may when you were pl wo for the bmq).  Hope 3RCR is treating you alright.
"We should take the Electric Stairs."