Author Topic: A Channel quotes ARMY.CA  (Read 11269 times)

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
A Channel quotes ARMY.CA
« on: March 02, 2006, 18:22:21 »
On their coverage of the tragedy in Afgan., A Channel - channel 10 in London, Ontario quoted comments on this site RE: the Lav 3. Just a reminder anything posted here is part of the public record.

RIP Bother :salute:

Best Wishes to the injured for quick recoveries.

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
Re: A Channel quotes ARMY.CA
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 18:26:11 »
what quotes were used?

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 18:31:54 »
Will check the thread & post. No usernames mentioned.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

wishes you a Happy New Year.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 18:33:58 »
Good reminder for everyone, there is a LOT of media types who both post [ as reporters and some not] and even more who lurk as "guests".............

We KNOW of three just from one newspaper alone.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 19:05:35 »
Quoted: Military Current Affairs & News
Thread: 1 Canadian Solider Killed, 7 Injured

1. Genetk - RE: LAV3's only suitable for North American standard roads.

2. jwsteele - RE: Why do we keep losing good soldiers to ridiculous accidents like these.

Watch what you say as it can & will be quoted and not always in full.

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 19:15:32 »
I think it would be irresponsible of the media to quote
anything off the web, let alone army.ca

Who says I'm really a soldier.  Who says any of us
are who we really say we are or with the qualifications?

This is the most unreliable source of info.... and they
use it to bolster a story?  Thats poor and lazy information
gathering at best and done so to, IMO, to give the
story the slant that they want as they can pick and choose
and take you out of context.

Hell, nothing says they aren't the ones who start
the threads and then could use them.

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 19:31:55 »
"Hell, nothing says they aren't the ones who start
the threads and then could use them."

- Is that like the govt funding Wendy Cukier to lobby the govt?

- There are some factual errors in today's NP regarding the LAV 3 as well.  Best way to keep a technical secret: leak it to the media.  There is no way they can spread it and still get it right.

Tom
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 05:22:06 »

I agree completely. I don't believe the even bothered to check the profiles of those they quoted. As you stated how would a reporter even know if the profile is correct. We users generally can weed out a poser but most reporters would not have a clue as to their quality of posts.
 They also stated they had checked a few military web sites before using the quotes they stated where from Army.ca. They left the impression that this was an official military site.
In this case I don't believe that this is the case. Not saying the possibility for this happening is impossible though.

Best Wishes

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 08:59:48 »
I think the reality is that despite what we might expect the media to do, we now have several instances of them quoting posts here. If they're indicating the source then that's much better than reading posts and simply passing it off as fact. (Which I'm sure has happened as well, but there is no way to tell.)

My point is that by saying the info came from Army.ca (or any web site) in theory viewers would understand the cerdibility level attached to it. In reality it's probably accepted as hard fact.

Offline MdB

• Rate Post
  • Foot borne!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 10:52:30 »

Well, who said medias are that responsible? I'm everyday more aware that some reporters/writers/analysts would write about a subject with leaving so dark corner alone, unsaid. Willingly or not.

Now, Army.ca would definitely a good place to learn a lot if I ever was a defence analyst/writer. As to go so far as to quote from here, umm, it'd be unresponsible. I would definitely pm/intervew the person via chat or telephone.
Heroism is endurance for one moment more.
- On Combat, Lt-Col Grossman

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 11:03:37 »
A Channel, when it was formerly the New RO in Pembroke, was known to scan cellular traffic around CFB Petawawa to catch a lead on a story.  Sometimes they would be interdicted at the gates to avoid uncomfortable interviews with grieving or yet unadvised families.  It is not just on-line that we run the risk of instrusion and quoting by the media.
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 12:15:18 »
Well

I doubt there is any official recourse.. other than
recognizing A Channel for a questionable news source
and talking about it here.  Maybe at best a letter but
not my job.

The only thing we can do is continue to police ourselves
because I often see posts or comments that make me cringe
(other than my own posts.. that is).  That not only the Mods
scan the boards but the subscribers and members also report
innappropriate posts to Admin.

That being said... I'll remove the thread of my Chap Botc Hazing video  ;)
(That was a JOKE A CHANNEL... in case you need it spelled out!)
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 18:31:53 »
Its good to see that we are all generally in agreement here. When reporters use questionable references that are passed off as official it is sloppy at best. >:(
Not that I am cutting down those who were quoted. Each of us are allowed our personal opinions but they can easily turned into official opinions if not referenced properly. Also by using quotes that are not quoted in full can change the intended meaning greatly. Now if someone from "A Channel" sees this thread I would like but would be extremely surprised to see a comment about this thread.

Best Wishes

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 18:41:44 »

Trinity.... the CF's own discussion forum went thru the same thing 2 yrs ago. Ottawa Citzen quoted some immature & irresponsible type who ran off at the mouth about the Gov't & CF.... end result, because it was a CF website, when it got hammered by a hacker... CF used it as a convenient out to pull out of the Forum business.

Sucks, doesn't it
Chimo!

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 18:57:28 »
That example is a good point.  Look at the effort from staff and mature members (not related to age) that it takes to keep this place at a temperature below "ignition", and we don't necessarily catch everything.  I am sure the CF forum didn't have the same atention to Moderation.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 19:10:22 »
You're right Michael,
To be fair, discussion forums that were opened to everyone at large was a big trust of faith in everyone. Unfortunately the Moderators were few and far between and it was pretty much up to a few old salts to keep people at the Puzzle palace informed of what was going on.
When the French forum got Hacked to death, it took me something like a full morning to get their attention. At 1st I was told that I was irresponsible and alarmist to raise the HACK flag..... then I got them to look - they admitted OOPSIE and took the servers off line for something like 2 yrs.
Chimo!

Offline Devlin

• Rate Post
  • Ready Fire Aim
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 19:49:29 »
I have received PM's in the past from media purporting themselves to be " a university student doing research" on this forum and the CF. They were pretty easy to spot as someone fishing. One of them even asked to meet for a sit down interview (Yeah sure thing meet me in the Butts on the mortar range).

I have been around this forum since the days of the war diary and have been approached about it a number of times. This place gets a lot of attention, so much so that Mike and the mods (who do a great job by the way) could probably treat this as a full time job.

Offline Slim

• Just sliding along...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Daylight in the swamp
    • Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 20:07:59 »
This place gets a lot of attention, so much so that Mike and the mods (who do a great job by the way) could probably treat this as a full time job.

Brother if you only knew!

Still hats off to Mike though for bringing this place to life and keeping it there!
"The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Edmond Burke

Offline Devlin

• Rate Post
  • Ready Fire Aim
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 20:23:35 »
The attention can get ridiculous to the point where I was approached by a senior officer about comments I made in this forum. I challenged himto prove that it was me ( he couldn't) Now the comments I made were not out of line by any stretch and I stand by them to this day. My comments were in reference to my experience going through the recruiting process. As a recruiter this person took offence to my comments and called me on them in public. No problem I stood by them.

My advice to other members from personal experience( this got up to my CO - he laughed it off) is don't say anything you wouldn't stand behind and stay in your lane.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 21:48:41 »
Devlin,
would agree with you.
Act as if you name is broadcats to the 4 winds. You MUST act in a responsible manner and speak only after you have put gray matter in gear.... anything less and you are shortchanging yourself and your mates.
Chimo!

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 09:29:04 »
Right from the Army.ca Conduct Guidelines:

Army.ca is in no way connected to DND or the CF. Army.ca does not represent policy of the Canadian Forces in any way, and does not claim to do so. Opinions expressed on these pages are the sole responsibility of the individual posters, who may or may not be members of the Canadian Forces or other military or civilian organisations.

First and foremost, we're all representatives of the CF. We may not want to be, but ultimately, we don't have the luxury of choice. The truth is when you post a message even on an unofficial site like this, your comments reflect upon the CF. That's not to say we can't bemoan the current state of affairs - it's a soldier's age old right to complain. But let's keep it clean and dignified.

There's no way for a casual visitor to tell that you're "not in uniform, so these comments are mine." To a visitor, we are all a cross section of what the CF has to offer, which in many ways is a correct assumption. If all they see is a horde of posts rife with profanity and personal attacks, the CF gets a bad reputation. As we've witnessed many times in the past, the public relations fallout from problems with the CF can have consequences well beyond those involved. With so many hard working professionals in the CF, it would be a shame to have the name tarnished here.

You are responsible for everything that you post and the tone in which it is posted.

The forums are completely public, meaning anyone can come here at any time and review the comments we make. Among the over 6,000 visitors we get every day are members of the press, senior DND officials and a slew of civilians. Visitors to this site range in age, but it is not at all uncommon for 14 year olds to visit, looking for information on a possible career choice. Bear in mind that messages here are never pruned. What you say now will be available on-line for years to come, easily found via search engines all over the Internet.

So before you post, imagine you're in uniform, talking to a room full of the press, 14 year old kids, your CO, and your grandmother.

In a nutshell, the hard and fast rules are as follows:

You will not post sensitive or non-public information.
You will not post any information that is offensive, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
You will not post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this site.
You will not post any material which is knowingly false.
You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations.
You will not post links to sites whose content is in violation of the above rules.
You will not attempt to bypass or subvert any of site controls or functions.
You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads.
You will not become an administrative burden to the Staff by intentionally or unintentionally creating significant work for them through your actions.
Postings which are deemed inappropriate may be modified or removed.
You will not troll the boards or feed the trolls. This is making posts that intentionally create hostile arguments, or responding to such posts in the same hostile tone.
You will not have multiple forum accounts without prior permission.
You will not use excessive webspeak, or other shorthand styles of typing. Please use English or French to the best of your ability; this makes it easier for those who are not posting in their native language.
You will properly attribute any quotes to the appropriate author or speaker.
Users that ignore these rules or otherwise act inappropriately may be placed on warning or banned.
You should report any post that is in violation of any of these guidelines or common sense to the moderators. We occasionally miss things, and it can be vigilant site members that allow us to keep the site moving smoothly and even remove content that is not legally appropriate.

I hate to burn up so much space, but it's good that we all look at these "rules" as much as possible. Me, I view them about once a week to see if there have been any changes that I need be aware of or if there may be any parts of the guidelines themselves that need attention or revision.

As for the media, well I don't expect they'll start PMing the Staff with questions and requests for interviews, but they may keep skimming the posts here to gather informations. After all, you provide it by posting it....Remember these two lines from the above quotes:

The truth is when you post a message even on an unofficial site like this, your comments reflect upon the CF.

and

What you say now will be available on-line for years to come, easily found via search engines all over the Internet.

Just be careful and use your head, that's all we can ask. If you do this for us you'll make the job easier because it is very much full time every now and then.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Guy. E

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 10:44:04 »
"Loose lips sink ships"  ;)

Over the past wile I was thinking about posting a topic regarding who actually comes here be they media or even MP's doing a little sneaky peekey...

Online Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 10:57:46 »
"Loose lips sink ships"  ;)

Over the past wile I was thinking about posting a topic regarding who actually comes here be they media or even MP's doing a little sneaky peekey...

That could turn into quite the witch-hunt  >:D

Personally, I don't really see the use of a thread "outing" these members. They're ususally easy to figure out on our own, and sometimes they even identify themselves.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 11:28:02 »
More to the point, it doesn't matter *who* they are, so long as we are aware that many quarters are represented here, including the media, SIU, etc. With a bit of effort, it's not hard to ensure that we don't post anything that will get us into hot water with these folks.

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 18:05:47 »
As for the media, well I don't expect they'll start PMing the Staff with questions and requests for interviews, but they may keep skimming the posts here to gather informations. After all, you provide it by posting it...

My point exactly for starting this thread.
Also by using the "Title Selected" if they are lurking they most likely would not miss this thread.
Maybe if they understand the results of their improper actions things might change? ???

Note: "See me holding my breath".   "NOT"

Pro Patria
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 18:11:50 by X Royal »