Author Topic: Canadian Armed Forces Day  (Read 9715 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Canadian Armed Forces Day
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 09:51:38 »
Greetings from the Commander-in-Chief:
For nearly seven years, I have had the honour of serving as commander-in-chief of Canada. While in this role, I have been privileged to meet with many serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and veterans. I have always been impressed by their remarkable sense of duty, outstanding professionalism and the sacrifices they have made to defend the values we cherish. I have also seen first-hand the strong bond, held together by trust, that exists between civilians and soldiers. It gives me great pride to know that we can count on our troops, both here in Canada and around the world.

I have the utmost respect and appreciation for our military personnel and for their families, who are working to build the smarter, more caring nation and world to which we aspire. On the occasion of Canadian Armed Forces Day, I join with all Canadians in expressing my sincere gratitude to our men and women in uniform for their service. My thoughts also turn to those who are no longer with us and to their loved ones.

We will never forget.

David Johnston

-30-

Greetings from the Minister
Minister of National Defence Harjit S. Sajjan today issued the following statement:

“Each and every day, the women and men of the Canadian Armed Forces – and their families – display their talent, dedication, perseverance and sacrifice - all in service to Canada and their fellow Canadians.

“The story of our 150 years as a nation would not be complete without the roles played by our brave soldiers, sailors and air personnel throughout the years, as well as the strength and courage of the families and loved ones who stand by their side. They have built a proud legacy which they build upon every day.

“Our forces currently serve on operations and missions on nearly every continent to help bring peace and security to a world so in need of both. They serve their fellow Canadians at home, safeguarding our skies and keeping Canadians safe whenever and wherever natural disasters strike.

“Our Canadian Armed Forces currently has 65, 000 Regular Force members and 21, 000 Reserve Force members. There are nearly 1600 currently serving abroad and 1200 currently serving on operations at home. Many more are preparing others, or even themselves, to deploy on future operations.

“Canadian Armed Forces members are our friends, our neighbors, and our family members. They are Canadians. They are us. To those in the Canadian Armed Forces who continue to build and defend our great nation, on behalf of all Canadians, thank you. We appreciate all you do, and we salute you.”

-30-
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 09:54:10 »
not that it matters, not like it's a holiday or anything. Just another day where we all go to work (well some of us who don't have monday to friday jobs) and go about our business.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 10:05:26 »
Didn't even know it was Armed Forces Day...I suspect 99.99999999% of Canadians don't either, and I bet they care even less than I do - as previously mentioned it used to be a day where the CAF and Canadians mixed and got to know each other.

Now?

It is a few  :blah: statements and online/FB posts. 
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 10:34:10 »
Didn't even know it was Armed Forces Day...I suspect 99.99999999% of Canadians don't either ...
:nod:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 00:42:48 »
heres what the CDS had to say, highlights mine

As a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, you and your family belong to one of the proudest, most honourable institutions our great country has to offer. You should be proud of who you are and what you do; I know I am. Because of that, I am delighted to recognize each and every one of you today for Canadian Armed Forces Day.
Whether it be delivering emergency relief to Canadians in need or working together with our allies on operations to make the world a safer place, you do fantastic work every day. I see your accomplishments firsthand and I am always proud.
You belong to an institution that has a lot of exciting changes coming. You are going to find our team operating at a higher pace with better equipment and more support for you and your family. There will be more details about that to follow this week and I want you to pay close attention to how your commanders explain these changes. As with anything, I expect you to help me implement them to the best of your ability.
Finally, I want to thank your families for their unwavering support. Your parents, spouses and children all make personal sacrifices so we can attain high rates of success on operations. Today is just as much about them as it is you—make sure you give them the same support.
Take time today to relax and celebrate your accomplishments with your family so that when you put on your uniform tomorrow, you will be ready to continue working hard to achieve strong results for Canada. For those of you on deployment who cannot be with your family today, know that you always have my full support and appreciation.
Thank you for your service.
Jonathan H. Vance
General
Chief of the Defence Staff

I'll believe it when I see it
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:07 »
Didn't even know it was Armed Forces Day...I suspect 99.99999999% of Canadians don't either, and I bet they care even less than I do - as previously mentioned it used to be a day where the CAF and Canadians mixed and got to know each other.

Not that I really remember any spectacular "open houses" or other events to commemorate the day in years past (long past, actually), but, did any CAF units hold any events, anywhere, yesterday?

Of course, I googled to see what happened and, surprise, found nothing.  North Bay, on the other hand, intends to celebrate it a week later. https://www.cityofnorthbay.ca/living/festivals-and-events/armed-forces-day/  Not really surprising that timings aren't consistent.  Last year, Borden also shifted it to a week later. http://www.bordenairshow.ca/
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:39 »
Probably because they, like l, forgot all about this non day.  Meh
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 13:00:56 »
And here I thought Nov 11th was our 'Armed Forces Day'.

Oh well, I guess it gives everyone in Ottawa something to wear a special pin on their tunics for ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 13:29:14 »
And here I thought Nov 11th was our 'Armed Forces Day'.

See also, Reply #13.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 14:59:38 »
Not that I really remember any spectacular "open houses" or other events to commemorate the day in years past (long past, actually), but, did any CAF units hold any events, anywhere, yesterday?

Of course, I googled to see what happened and, surprise, found nothing.  North Bay, on the other hand, intends to celebrate it a week later. https://www.cityofnorthbay.ca/living/festivals-and-events/armed-forces-day/  Not really surprising that timings aren't consistent.  Last year, Borden also shifted it to a week later. http://www.bordenairshow.ca/

Years ago, it was a pretty good day at (now closed) CFB Summerside.  I recall lots of aircraft statics, veh's (I crawled into what I would later come to know as a Cougar AVGP there one Armed Forces Day.  Gagetown used to do a pretty good gig back in the early 90s IIRC, too.
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 18:36:05 »
In Chilliwack it was always a big deal, but I seem to remember it being later in the year as we were always in Wainwright for six weeks or so.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats