Author Topic: Reserve Pilot Tac Hel Req  (Read 25124 times)

Offline UB6

• Rate Post
Reserve Pilot Tac Hel Req
« on: November 08, 2005, 01:23:42 »
Hey,

Before anyone goes off on me, I did do a search and could not find the info. I know that to be a CF pilot you need 20/20 uncorrected..no contacts, laser ect. I was told laser is a no no because of the eject forces on the eye when in primary. But what about Tac Hel in the reserves.  If a reserve Tac Hel unit takes you on (considering you have a Helicopter CPL and 300 TT) ...they're not going to train you on the harvard. Just the Jet Ranger and than the Griffon. So has anyone heard of guys going into a reserve Tac Hel unit with corrective vison....mostly laser in my case? I'm thinking no...but I just wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

aesop081

Re: Reserve Pilot Tac Hel Req
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 01:52:57 »
Hey,

Before anyone goes off on me, I did do a search and could not find the info. I know that to be a CF pilot you need 20/20 uncorrected..no contacts, laser ect. I was told laser is a no no because of the eject forces on the eye when in primary. But what about Tac Hel in the reserves.   If a reserve Tac Hel unit takes you on (considering you have a Helicopter CPL and 300 TT) ...they're not going to train you on the harvard. Just the Jet Ranger and than the Griffon. So has anyone heard of guys going into a reserve Tac Hel unit with corrective vison....mostly laser in my case? I'm thinking no...but I just wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

20/20 uncorrected vision, reserve or not..its all the same.  Doest matter what you are going to fly.  Laser eye surgery is NO GO in the CF for pilots.......

Offline UB6

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:40:18 »
alrighty...thanks. just thought i'd ask.

cheers

Offline Kramer

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 12:11:06 »
20/20 uncorrected vision, reserve or not..its all the same.   Doest matter what you are going to fly.   Laser eye surgery is NO GO in the CF for pilots.......

Not exactly correct - see the requirements for the "Helicop" program (reserve only, Griffon only) - vision requirement is NOT V1 for that program.

Don't have the time to quote all the details/sources but the bottom line is that the Helicop (and, incidentally, CCEP) vision requirements are V2 with NO refractive standards being applicable (unlike the "regular" V2).  Correction (with glasses/contacts) IS allowed.

The vision reqs are fairly clearly stated (e.g. see "Guidelines for Flight Surgeons") but the civilian license/rating/hours are harder to figure out.  I've heard everything from bare CPL-H up to 500hrs TT, CPL-H plus IFR.

Other than that, the standard officer stuff applies (university degree, pass IAP/BOTC, etc...).

Offline SF2

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 21:05:51 »
i see what you're saying Kramer, but there's a difference between the V1 vs V2 thing and the fact that he's already had laser surgery.

V1, V2 or whatever, laser takes you out of the game, period.

Offline UB6

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 22:31:55 »
Well the reason I asked this question is because I heard (could be b.s. that's why i'm asking) of a guy who had alot of turbine helo time and got into the reserves; who had laser. But since he had laser he was confined to helo and there was no hope of him ever cross training to fixed wing. The part that I don't understand is that the docs are afraid your eyes are going to be ripped to shreds, in the event you have to eject from a fixed wing a/c. So where's the problem if a guy joins the reserves with plenty of time...especially on type, like the 206? It would save the DND a hell of alot of money getting a guy with say 1000 TT B206 when a reserve squadron was ever in need of pilot's.
Cheers

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 14:14:28 »
Anyone that joins the reserves through HELI-COP to fly the griffon is stuck there for life.  There is no cross-training permitted.  Reserve pilots are given the MOC of 32X vice 32A (not sure of the MOSID)  If they wish to fly fixed-wing, jets or any other helicopter in the CF, they must go to Moose Jaw just like every other CF pilot - this program is not a back door to avoiding the training world.  The same goes for anyone that has entered directly into flying the Dash-8.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

aesop081

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 14:39:19 »

Offline 22B

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 14:46:47 »
Oh blah blah blah.   I was one of the first to be approached by DND to be a helicop pilot.   They searched me out and asked if I would be interested, considering that I was a former Armoured Crewman and was   a recce crew commander and obviously knew the job.   I had been flying Hughes 500's and 206's for years after getting out.   No, I didn't learn to fly in the military.   I averaged about 600 hours a year and most of it was northern bush ops.   I was initially interested, as I didn't fly in the off season, and that's when they really wanted stand in pilots.   All the usual paper work etc was moving along, and I was ust about finished, when I got a routine call from the reserves filling in a few details.   They wanted to know what I held a degree in.   Told them I didn't have one, as you don't need one to fly.   They said I needed one, and would I be willing to go back to university to get one.   WTF for I said.   I'm busy flying my   a$$ of in the summer, and couldn't see the point in their plan so that I could fly maybe 20 hrs in one of their clapped out 206A's during the winter months.   I do 600+ hrs per year. Do the math.   Who's more current. Further to that, I met a guy who was one of two Air Reserve pilots who actually joined.   One couldn't help but laugh, he said he just puts his head down and goes flying.   The other was an Air Canada pilot who was flying an OH58.   He couldn't tell me what type of engine was in the OH58.   (...an Allison or something)   The Air Reserves is mostlyt a flying club and they DON"T WANT YOU IN IT.   Ex regular officers only.   Laser eye surgery?   My friend was one of the first to ever get it.   MOT watched him like a hawk for years to see how it turned out.   18,000 hrs later, he's fine.   His head didn't explode or anything else.   He was given an HAI award for his excellence in aviation.   Believe me, the two worlds of commercial and military helicopters don't blend very well.   I've seen it myself many times.   Those ex military types that do fit in are just fine.   Any way, been there done that.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 14:49:57 by 22B »

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 19:35:39 »
The Air Reserves is mostlyt a flying club and they DON"T WANT YOU IN IT.  Ex regular officers only.

Beg to differ.  I know of pilots in both helo and fixed wing that were never reg force anything.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline volition

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:41:08 »
Well, it's nice to see that reserve pilots can fly more than the griffon now. ;D
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/news_e.asp?id=4182
You threat me right, I'll threat you better.
You threat me bad, I'll threat you worse!

aesop081

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:25 »
Well, it's nice to see that reserve pilots can fly more than the griffon now. ;D

Reserve pilots have been flying the CT-142 for several years already.........

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 10:22:47 »

And Sea Kings, and Hercs, and instructing on the Harvard and Jet Ranger and...

Mostly ex-reg force guys, but still reservists nontheless.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline volition

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 10:34:27 »
True say! This guy is strictly a reservist, never been an ex-regforce pilot!

Offline Avro_Arrow_1976

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 10:50:26 »
and the CC138 Twin Otter too.

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
  • Griffon over iceberg off coast of NL
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 10:53:00 »
22B, you can have a gadzillion hours in a 206, but throw in some live fire with all up weight NVG and its all back to square one. I'll take the Tac Hel pilot for 1000 Alex. :gunner:
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 14:01:39 »
Conceivably, every airframe in the CF can have a Reservist at the controls.  The caveat being that in most cases you must be ex-RegF.

In the case of the helo-world, the heli-cop program allows for trained and experienced civi pilots to join the CF as CH-146 pilots.  This individual simply made the leap over from one helo-asset to another.  He is still restricted in his career options in that he can only fly rotary wing aircraft.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline volition

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 14:41:20 »
That's great!!!! For people like me that only want to fly Helos!!! ;D ::)

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 19:39:37 »
22B, you can have a gadzillion hours in a 206, but throw in some live fire with all up weight NVG and its all back to square one. I'll take the Tac Hel pilot for 1000 Alex. :gunner:

Rick you do know 22B posted that back in 2005 right?
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 20:57:01 »
Rick you do know 22B posted that back in 2005 right?

That is why he works in recruiting now. ;D
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 21:00:26 »
That is why he works in recruiting now. ;D

Ouch!  You put a guy back in the field and how soon he forgets his fellow recruiters...  ;D

G2G

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
  • Griffon over iceberg off coast of NL
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 16:17:34 »
I guess I got caught up in the reading and he hit a sensitive cord. I also went to -3 so that'll teach me. :-[
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 19:44:28 »
Conceivably, every airframe in the CF can have a Reservist at the controls.  The caveat being that in most cases you must be ex-RegF.

In the case of the helo-world, the heli-cop program allows for trained and experienced civi pilots to join the CF as CH-146 pilots.  This individual simply made the leap over from one helo-asset to another.  He is still restricted in his career options in that he can only fly rotary wing aircraft.

Isn't that a better way to train pilots though?  Most will not jump between platforms; why not streamline training at the front end and make it shorter and able to push through more pilots?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 20:43:35 »
Isn't that a better way to train pilots though?  Most will not jump between platforms; why not streamline training at the front end and make it shorter and able to push through more pilots?

I actually think it's better for us to jump platforms. It gives us a much broader view into the workings of the machine as a whole. Even though I may not want to be posted out of MH, it's nice to have the option. If I didn't like the job when I got here, it sure would suck to know that the only way out of a job I didn't like was a desk somewhere or releasing. It's better for personnel management to be able to send them where you need them, vice be limited because of their entry plan, IMHO.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

aesop081

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 20:51:29 »
I actually think it's better for us to jump platforms. It gives us a much broader view into the workings of the machine as a whole. Even though I may not want to be posted out of MH, it's nice to have the option. If I didn't like the job when I got here, it sure would suck to know that the only way out of a job I didn't like was a desk somewhere or releasing. It's better for personnel management to be able to send them where you need them, vice be limited because of their entry plan, IMHO.

AF-wise it is better to have aircrew who are well-rounded and have a broad range of experience in multiple aircraft types as well as ground jobs.  This applies perticularly in HQ/staff jobs and later on in Command roles. I love flying MPA but there might be a day where i will have to change airframe and i am sure this would benefit me and the air force if i should ever make it higher in my MOCs hierarchy and senior apointments withing the AF.