Author Topic: World most peaceful now than at anytime in 12 years  (Read 8323 times)

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: World most peaceful now than at anytime in 12 years
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 19:47:31 »
>Now.... who'se saying that the world is safer now?

Me - because even if you can demonstrate actuarially that the world is more unstable and subject to many smaller messy conflicts, "the world" as an entity is safer because we aren't one mistake away from permitting the nuclear fleets of the US and USSR to achieve full realization of their respective purposes.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 21:37:52 »
good point
.... but we are "messier" though
all these little wars littering the planet.
Chimo!

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 03:51:53 »
Wars have always "littered" the planet - we just seem to pay more attention to them now that we don't worry about the Soviets and that we all have access to Cable News (if it bleeds, it leads).

Brad raises an interesting point:  Although the probability of thermonuclear war was low, the consequences were extremely high.  Now we have the obverse - there seems to be a relatively decent chance of seeing a terrorist attack, but the consequences (in absolute terms) are minimal.  Either way, we will be gainfully employed, but it does offer relief to have the Sword of Damocles removed from the dining room....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Online Gunnar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian Volunteer, 105 Btty,7 Toronto RCA, RCAC
    • 105 Army Cadets
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 09:24:47 »
I see my evil hand is in this one, sir gunnar.....

Yeah well...while you're obviously intelligent and urbane, I don't always agree with you.  Bad guys are in black hats, and good guys are in white hats as far as I'm concerned...not really wanting to open that can of worms at present, dontchaknow...

If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism --Thomas Sowell

Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for the West as it commits suicide.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 11:07:55 »
Bad guys are in black hats

Damn armoured corps.... ;)
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr