Author Topic: Service Couples - Posting  (Read 17132 times)

Offline FreeFloat

• I void warranties
  • Rate Post
  • This space for rent
Service Couples - Posting
« on: May 12, 2005, 09:38:10 »
I'm currently a Army Reservist, and my fiancé is applying for the Regular Force to go Infantry.  He had initially been considering going Reserve first then doing a Component Transfer, but is so keen on the idea that he changed his application to Reg F.

Thing is, I had been contemplating going Reg F myself, but it's Navy trades that I picked.

I'm sitting on my application while I decide.  To me, staying with him is more important than getting in the Forces full time.  After all, I'm already a Reservist, so if he went Regs I could transfer units to wherever he's posted.

I know that these days, the Forces makes a decent effort to keep married service couples together whenever possible, but I can't think of any units/bases in Canada that can accommodate a Navy spouse and an Army (Infantry) spouse and still keep them together.  I don't know of any mixed-element couples although I can imagine it could happen if a) one spouse is a Reservist, or b) one spouse is a service support trade i.e. Cook, Clerk, regardless of element.  Hard Sea and pointy-end Land, I can't quite see happening.

Someone enlighten me please? if this in fact could work?
FreeFloat

The one with the big stick stirring

Online Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: Navy and Army - mixed service couples
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:47:15 »
Considering Infantry billets are in Edmonton, Shiloh, Pet, Valcartier, and Gagetown and the Navy is in Esquimalt and Halifax, I'd say your SOL.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline FreeFloat

• I void warranties
  • Rate Post
  • This space for rent
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 11:54:10 »
That's more or less what I was thinking.............

Tough choice isn't it!

I was just speaking casually to my supervisor and he said he knew of one married service couple (MSC) where the "he" was an Inf Offr and "she" was a MARS, and they got posted to Valcartier I think, where "she" took on an RSS posting with a local reserve unit....... of course, they were Officers, things may indeed be different for us NCMs!
FreeFloat

The one with the big stick stirring

Offline 28Medic

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 16:32:36 »
Hi
I am a Reserve Army Med A(NCM), and my husband just went Reg Force Pilot...I am thinking of changing to an Airforce trade once we move just to make things easier on us when we start moving. I like the army way of things but it just might make it simpler and I won't have to travel as far to find an army reserve unit to parade with.
But I am un-decided on whether I should even stay in, since he will be away on trg a lot for the first while and it will be difficult to parade because of our three kids.  I am close to getting my CD, so I might try to tought it out...
Good luck with your decision....it won't be easy!
Bob

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 12:22:33 »
Makes me glad that me and my wife are in the same trade.  ;)
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 13:21:53 »
It all dpends.  If you went such trades as clerk, cook, supply tech  etc then you could have a better chance of serving in the same trade.  I knew a navy cook that had never been to sea.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Shadow

• Rate Post
    • Army News
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 15:30:50 »
I know clerks of all elements can be posted just about anywhere.  You can be navy and get posted to Petawawa, it's been done.  The trade is pretty much the same no matter what element. People will just look at you funny when you're on parade  ;)
You didn't mention which navy trades you were looking at?
Anything's possible with Commander Coo-Coo-Bananas in charge!

Offline Harris

is in to a warm place.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 15:44:44 »
The new RSS Officer at my Unit (West NSR) and his wife are both from different trades.  He's Infantry and she is Navy.  They live in Halifax and he travels to Aldershot every day to work.  So it can be done.
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 23:30:33 »
We've had a husband and wife team in our unit for a few years.. granted they are both Reg F CSS Types, one is a Clerk and the Other a Sup Tech. I've noticed it tends to be easier to move people when they are purple trades since they can go anywhere.

It sounds to me like youre probabbly going to have some trouble making that one work. But best of luck!
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 09:31:07 »
The majority of mixed MOC/environment marriages that I've run across usually involve one spouse in a svc sp MOC.  As stated previously, clerks/cooks/bin rats/etc. can be employed virtually anywhere. 

And, with regard to the comment about married officers, yes - it's true - officers can "look forward" to staff or HQ postings, where there's a little bit more leeway - however, having said that, any rank who's just starting their career shouldn't hold their breath for postings away from their primary environment (e.g. ship/Navy, field/Army, airfield/Air Force).

Best of luck!
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline Bubbs25

• Rate Post
POSTING OF SERVICE COUPLES
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:18 »
Good day all,

Unsure if this is the right place to post this but im sure you'll point me in the right direction.
I am awaiting a posting to borden to do my ACS TECH 3's in Borden, Since I have a service spouse, is there anyway that she could be posted with me for the duration of my 3's or will I have to attend the course on IR. Is there anyway that I could get her attach posted with me for the duration and posted to my Base/Wing after my 3's.
I have 2 small children as well.  Will it be in the best interest of the CF to post her after my 3's or with me on my 3's.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Bubbs 25
The best defence of the country is the fear of the fighter. If we are strong in fighters we should probably never be attacked in force. If we are moderately strong we shall probably be attacked and the attacks will gradually be bought to a standstill. . . . If we are weak in fighter strength, the attacks will not be bought to a standstill and the productive capacity of the country will be virtually destroyed.

— Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
Re: POSTING OF SERVICE COUPLES
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:31 »
The Career Mangers always state during their breifings that they have no obligations to post service spouses as a couple. What trade is she? And how long is your QL3? These are usually determining factors in posting your DF & E. When your course message come out it will state any limitations, and sometimes dependant on course "The movement of DF & E is Restricted" Just wait until your message arrives and have your CoC explain it to you.

Offline Bubbs25

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 11:28:28 »
My spouse is an MSE Op. I do 2 months manditory common core and 9 months for my 3's. As well like i mentioned we have 2 young children, not of school age yet.  Do you think this could be a factor as well.
The best defence of the country is the fear of the fighter. If we are strong in fighters we should probably never be attacked in force. If we are moderately strong we shall probably be attacked and the attacks will gradually be bought to a standstill. . . . If we are weak in fighter strength, the attacks will not be bought to a standstill and the productive capacity of the country will be virtually destroyed.

— Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 11:51:19 »
Your spouse* can always request a posting to be co-located with you but it may not probably won't happen until after your QL3 course, to avoid two cost moves in a short period of time.

*Note:  You do not request that your spouse be posted (or attach posted), she does.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:52 »
Another thing to consider is how close it is to people proceeding on postings this APS.  Her CM would have had to figure out his/her posting plot long ago.  This might make your wife's CM alittle more reluctant to post/attach post her.

Note that, with attach postings, IIRC it is VERY rare to get a move of D, HG & E.

Not all Career Managers are uncaring.  I can't speak for any other trade but...the CWOs in my trade are excellent with stuff like this, from what I've seen so far (which is less than many in my trade at this time).

Having said that, it never hurts for her to ask, and the worst that can happen is...nothing.

The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline StevenCL

• Rate Post
Service Couples - Posting
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 11:02:07 »
Good morning,

I'm a MARS Officer posted to Halifax and my wife is a qualified Social Worker considering joining the RegF as a Social Work Officer.  The only concern we have is about postings once she's done basic training and working as a Social Work Officer.  On the surface it would seem to me like it wouldn't be that hard to post a Social Work Officer anywhere they can post a MARS Officer and word having met a few service couples during my career it would seem like the trend is to try to post service couples together.  My question is, is there any reference or document that states that the powers that be must try to do this as much as possible?  I can't seem to find anything.  While we're both excited about the prospect of her joining up and not having to give up a job in the even I get posted away one day it'd be nice to have a bit more confidence that we wouldn't be separated beyond normal training/deployment or my sailing schedule.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Steve

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Service Couples - Posting
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:12 »
There is nothing in writing that states that they must post service couples together.  That being said, they do attempt to when they can, depending on positions available.  What you do have in your favor is being from two completely different trades in the CF.  That being said, be prepared for the possibility of a separate posting.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

aesop081

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 11:11:14 »
   it'd be nice to have a bit more confidence that we wouldn't be separated beyond normal training/deployment or my sailing schedule.

The military offers no guarantees that you will be posted to the same location. Career managers try to post service couples together as much as possible but the needs of the service come first, thus they are under no obligation to do so.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 12:27:42 »
. . .  On the surface it would seem to me like it wouldn't be that hard to post a Social Work Officer anywhere they can post a MARS Officer . . .

While you can't swing a dead cat in Halifax (or Esquimalt) without hitting a MARS officer there may be only limited positions for a Social Work Officer.  Granted these locations have greater military populations and will undoubtedly have a larger social work contingent, however that does not guarantee that there will be a vacancy to coincide with your posting there.  Her career manager may have other ideas; there could be shortfalls in other locations.  At one time (before much of the consolidation in the last decade plus) it was very common to find only one social worker at a base.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 13:17:55 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Maritimegal

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:58 »
Hi I am interested in joining as a social worker myself and my husband is Reg F army officer. I was talking to a Major who is a social worker and I was basically told that they will do their best to keep couples together, but it's not a guarantee. She also said it's important to decide whose career is more important because they may keep you together, but one of you may not be offered a posn that will help you work towards the next rank. 

Offline Colta

• Rate Post
Service Couples
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 19:57:50 »
Howdy... not sure if this is the right place for the question, so feel free to close or move this thread if it isn't.... but here it goes.

Is there anyone on the boards who are in relationships where both members are in the Canadian Forces? I ask because my husband is putting in his application for Weapon's Tech Land soon and I will be reapplying late this winter (vr'd during BMQ for reasons I won't get into) as a Medical Tech. We're both very certain that career's in the military are for us and are willing to do whatever we have to in order for us to have fulfilling career's (providing we are both given an offer), we're just unsure of how it works as a married couple.
I understand we'll be apart for quite some time due to BMQ, SQ and QL3's... but is there something in place to help married couples with being posted with one another? Outside of holidays and vacation time (providing we're approved for travelling the distance to see each other), what sort of chances are there for seeing each other? Are there any restrictions for couples with regards to one being in, say QL3's while the other is in BMQ?
In general.... just what were your experiences?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 21:21:40 by Colta »

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Dual Military Couples
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 20:59:10 »
The term you're looking for is called "service couples". The CAF will attempt to find posting for both of you at the same base, but the needs of the service sometimes (sometimes a lot) override you being posted together.

I believe there's a mega thread here with a lot of personal stories, etc.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 21:10:35 »
"Dual Military Couples" has some serious connotations.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Colta

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 21:16:59 »
"Dual Military Couples" has some serious connotations.

I'm not quite sure I understand. Is it bad to use that term? I apologize if it is, that was the only term I knew for people in a relationship who are both in the military. If possible, I will edit this post or it can be removed. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 21:20:22 »
I'm not quite sure I understand. Is it bad to use that term? I apologize if it is, that was the only term I knew for people in a relationship who are both in the military. If possible, I will edit this post or it can be removed. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Dual = Two
Couples = Two

'Dual Military Couples' is redundant or two (2) military Couples.   Swingers?

Anyway....Moving on.....Go the the HOME FRONT Forums and read some of the topics there on military couples.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Colta

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 21:21:11 »
Well... I feel mildly stupid now. I didn't even realize... it's been a long week.  :facepalm:

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 21:24:17 »
'Dual Military Couples' is redundant or two (2) military Couples.   Swingers?

It is a new CAF....  >:D

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Service Couples
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 23:50:00 »
The CANFORGEN on polyamorous service couples is awaiting draft.

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:42 »
It'll be in translation for years, so don't be making too many commitments just yet.

Offline HCA123

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 15:03:32 »
Med Tech is a trade that could easily be co-located with a weapons tech. You are right, you'd likely be away from each other for a while during your qualification training, the chances are very high you'll be posted together afterwards. It is normally more difficult for the system to post you in different locations unless you are in element specific trades. Med Tech is purple and makes life easier. Plus, Field Ambulances are always looking for new Medics. Just say Petawawa or Edmonton at some point along the way and I'm sure you won't have any issues getting posted together.

Offline Mortar guy

• Rate Post
  • Eating and drinking for peace.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 03:53:56 »
I am one half of a service couple and can offer some advice. In the 7 years my wife and I have been together, we've been posted to the same city for 1.5 of those years - and that wasn't a continuous 1.5 years. While the CM system and our respective Regiment/Corps does make the effort to post us to the same place, nothing is guaranteed. Of course, we are both senior officers so our options are extremely limited! Two NCMs in relatively "purple" trades should have an easier time of it.

MG
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Offline eliminator

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 11:30:56 »
My wife and I have been a service couple for over a decade and have always been posted together (3 going on 4 postings now). The only time apart has been for courses and deployments. These days, career managers have to do an administrative review if they post the two members to different locations. Specifically Career Managers, from what I've witnessed over the last few years, deal with service couple postings first each APS in order to have the best chances to co-locate the two members.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:34:46 by eliminator »

Offline Northstar86

• Rate Post
Married Service Couple
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 02:56:45 »
Hello!
 Is anyone willing to share their experiences (or even second hand stories) as a Dual Service Family? Specifically;
1. Using a long term care provider (nanny ect.) for your children while you and your spouse were deployed.
2. Is it common that both members are deployed, and if so do they try and have as little overlap as possible or is it the full deployment?
 Any other info or experiences is appreciated too!
Thank you!
(I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I couldn't find anything in the search)

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Dual Service Family
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 07:04:11 »
Try looking for "married service couple".

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:29:33 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Northstar86

• Rate Post
Re: Dual Service Family
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 00:08:17 »