Author Topic: 2 sets of stuff  (Read 22840 times)

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
Re: 2 sets of stuff
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2005, 08:38:03 »
Actually, if your hair is already next-to-bald, they wont have you sit in the chair again, and waste money. They can't force you to waste your money anyway. But you'll sit in the room (and in ranks) with the rest of them in the Orange Sector (every course candidate's most feared place)

If your hair is very short, you still will get shaved, for that initial indoc.. but if there is literally nothing there to shave, y ou are safe.

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2005, 08:42:15 »
Yes Meridian you are right, I should clarify. Everyone goes to Orange sector..duhn..duhn..duhn(that's creepy music) and sometimes the overly worked instructors "forget" that you don't need a haircut and get sheared like the rest of the sheep anyway.  :P My brother in law is bald and he got sent to the barber, and the barber actually laughed his b*lls off at him.  8)
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2005, 10:51:42 »
question about shaving. what if your like me and a 17 year old who only gets "peach fuzz"   :-[ about every 4 days,, will i still have to shave my bare skin with on hair on it or what? ???

Yes, Once every 24 hr period.
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline TheCheez

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2005, 10:57:59 »
Yes Meridian you are right, I should clarify. Everyone goes to Orange sector..duhn..duhn..duhn(that's creepy music) and sometimes the overly worked instructors "forget" that you don't need a haircut and get sheared like the rest of the sheep anyway.   :P My brother in law is bald and he got sent to the barber, and the barber actually laughed his b*lls off at him.   8)

They take everyone to the barber, and say everyone goes up, no exceptions. So I'd stand up, point at my head (with no hair on it) the barber would give me a confused look and laugh so I sat back down, no worries.

Offline B.McTeer

• Damn The Internet Is Faster Then Me
  • Rate Post
  • McTeer Keeping Up the war effort at home:P
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2005, 21:58:28 »
Yes, Once every 24 hr period.

OK razor burn here i come :P
"You've Got Milk On Your Roof"

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2005, 23:51:15 »
Oh for Pete's sake. There is no reason for razor burn. Didn't your papas teach you how to shave????

For those whose dads didnot take the time here it is.

1. Shave after you get out of the shower, not before. This softens the hair so that it is easier to cut.
2. Use a good glycerin based shaving cream. I use a cake and a brush but that is because I like my skin free of pimples as well as clean shaven. For those who like zits I would recommend any of the scented shaving gels or creams on the market.
3. Use a fresh blade. If it is an effort to cut through the bristles then it is time for a new blade. I use a Mach Three and it works great!
4. Shave with the growth of your beard. This means that you start at the top and pull down. If you shave up you will get ingrown hairs.
5. Rinse well after you shave. Not just with a splash of water but with a face cloth and warm water.
6. Who ever came up with an alcohol based aftershave was a sick SOB. Moisturize after you shave and in the summer you might as well use a skin lotion that has an SPF.
7. In the winter time and on Winter ex especially, shave at night before you hit the rack. This gives your skin a chance to replace all the protective oils that you have scraped off.

Good luck

GF
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2005, 20:06:25 »
Hey RN PRN where would I get a hold of a cake and a brush? Thanks for help :salute:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2005, 10:21:51 »
Go to shoppers drug or any other big chain.

I use a Wilkinson's Sword Shaving brush (Get a second one, they are great for getting the dust off your weapon)
and
Mug or Wilkinson's Shaving soap. The Sword brand comes with a little tub which is handy.

The nice thing about this is:
1. It does not freeze in the winter
2. There are no problems with taking it on board DND aircraft. Some loadmasters are quite picky when it comes to pressurized containers like the conventional shaving foam.

GF

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2006, 14:14:06 »
Thanks for the reply will have to check it out.  Do the DS frown upon the High and Tight haircut at BMQ?
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline dk

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2006, 15:17:38 »
Has anyone had any issues with Florena Shaving Cream. ie: Freezing, etc.

The stuff is great so far in the home environment you just squeeze a bit on the Wilkinson's Sword Brush, and off you go.
 I'm just curious about possible problems in the field. Thanks.
"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it."     - Dalai Lama

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2006, 15:32:21 »
I use it at home, been a mug 'n' brush guy since I was 20.  This stuff works great, but I find it takes a heck of as lot of it to get a decent shave.  Freezing isn't too bad with the tube stuff, chuck it in your washbasin with hot water for a few mins.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2006, 19:01:46 »
I use cake soap, no problems with freezing on winter ex and the load masters do not have any issue with taking it on board the CF airframes.

Offline Dog

• Rate Post
  • NOT a bounty hunter.
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2006, 09:02:16 »
So what the heck is this I hear about not being allowed to be bald????

I've been shaving my head every few days for the past year.... in fact I just shaved it yesterday and I start basic on the 16th..... NOW I'm finding out that it's a no-no?!!?

Faaaaaan-tastic.....
Violence must be eradicated,... kill all the violent people you know.

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2006, 09:27:40 »
 The problem lies in the "new recruit" who decides he will be hard core and shave his head bald and then manages to get a sunburn during the few times he is without headdress. If you truly have been shaving for awhile or heaven forbid you lost the hair naturally, there wont be a problem.

In the early 90's in Petawawa a directive came out that unless you were already bald or shaving your head, no one would be allowed to suddenly start head shaving. It seemed the powers that be, thought it looked too aggresive and didn't want to offend the tree hugging granola eaters that might think our Military was aggressive.

Also there is the matter of changing your appearance from what is portrayed on your military ID card.

If you are already "Mr Clean", you shouldn't have a problem.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2006, 17:47:06 »
Anyone here use a straight razor? I've been looking into getting one as I want to punch myself in the danglies every time I spend 10+ dollars on 4 Mach 3 razor heads. I'm wondering most about which is preferable - a bladed straight razor or one that takes razor inserts. I'm also curious as to whether the effect of a straight razor on your skin is better, worse, or the same as that of your standard Mach 3/etc. safety razor.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2006, 01:32:45 »
Straight razors do an awesome job.  The problem is that they are very high maint, and if not looked after, you may end up hearing a wet "plop" as your ear falls in the sink.  Not for anyone with any kind of shaky hands.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline SoF

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2006, 12:06:47 »
I was considering a straight razor to because of the cost of Mach 3 blades. How much does one cost and where can I buy one from?
Arnold is numero uno

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2006, 12:22:51 »
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

Offline SoF

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 20:19:32 »
I just checked out that site and DAM...those are heavy prices. I'll shave with glass before I spend that much money on a straight razor.
Arnold is numero uno

Offline dk

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2006, 20:53:58 »
WOW. $1200 US for a Limited Edition. I couldn't bring myself to use it if I paid that much for it. It'd be like a collectors Item or something.

Has anyone had any experience with Double-Edge Razors? How long does one blade last? I assume it's a closer shave then the usual plastic ones we're used to. I remember my dad used them when I was very young. The prices aren't bad at that website for the double-edge.

I guess I should wait a bit. I'm just getting used to shaving everyday. It's a feat when it doesn't look like I tried to commit suicide!
"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it."     - Dalai Lama

Offline Dano-mac

• Anyone call for a Medic ?
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2006, 21:18:19 »
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info so far. I'm sorry to drag on the issue of shaving still but I have some questions that haven't really been answered yet and thought I'd give it a shot.

As far as disposable razor's, wouldn't they be the best to bring to BMQ as you can use them for a few days or a week, then trash them and grab a fresh/clean one ( given that you are allowed to keep supplies somewhere ? ) and they make 3 bladed disposables like the Mach 3,  this way you would avoid having to clean or maintain the base of the mach 3 razor everytime ( in case soap dries between the hinges and you miss to clean it over a long period of time, etc ) ...

Secondly, I usually keep my head shaved down to a number #1 or #2 and I was wondering, how would I maintain that look while in BMQ, is it possible to go out and grab a haircut every 2 weeks or during weekends, or can you bring your own shaver and cut you hair every weekend ?

Lastly, when they say your whole team has to be uniform, does that include having the same tube toothpaste (i really like those small Collogate squeeze bottles Example they seem easier to maintain), same colour toothbrush, same shaving cream, etc and how about Bodywash as its easier to maintain and use instead of a bar of soap ?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Dan  :salute:
What time is lunch ?

Offline SoF

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2006, 23:05:45 »
is it possible to go out and grab a haircut every 2 weeks or during weekends, or can you bring your own shaver and cut you hair every weekend ?

I was told you have to get your hair cut every week on bmq and you do that on base, $6 I think. Thats for Borden btw.

Arnold is numero uno

Offline dk

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2006, 23:32:04 »
The Borden Joining instructions which were originally Naval Reserve BMQ doesn't say anything about haircuts. The St. Jean one, right off the CFLRS website, says you'll have to get a haircut every two weeks @ $7.50 ea. At the enrollment they said it was the same deal at Borden.

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2006, 08:11:42 »
Dano-mac, your best bet is either stick to cheapy disposeable razors or bring an electric(saves time waiting in line for a sink). As for the rest of your abolutions, bring what is listed on the kit list and provided your kit is clean, serviceable and displayed in the proper drawer layout, you will not be berrated for having a strawberry shortcake electric toothbrush(maybee poked fun at though). Haircuts are always available during training , so even if you dont think you need one, someone will let you know its time.

Offline l8joiner

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2006, 18:51:13 »
In St. Jean, the guys on my platoon have been getting a haircut every 3 weeks.