Author Topic: Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]  (Read 90815 times)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Military Relocation / Posting Policy-Moves [MERGED]
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2015, 04:55:42 »
Same with why does a single member get half a months pay and a family person (0 kids or 10 kids) get full months?

Most systems hate on single people.

There actually is a logic behind it, the explanation of which has been lost in the transition from QR&O/CFAO to CBI.  The first thing to note is that Posting Allowance was originally designed as compensation for the disruption caused by relocation (e.g. the move itself, changing of schools, new community, new bank accounts, etc).  It was never intended as reimbursement for expenses of any kind.  In other words, it's extra money because we've made your life temporarily miserable.  Furthermore, the old CFAO used to describe Posting Allowance as having two parts, each equal to one half month's pay.  The first part was the member's portion (i.e. for the disruption caused to him/her).  The second part was for the dependents (i.e. for the disruption caused to them).  If there are no dependents, then no dependents have been disrupted; therefore, logic dictates that there is nothing to be compensated in that case.

Whether this is still appropriate today is another argument, but this is the reasoning behind the half month versus whole month differential.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2015, 08:17:47 »
There actually is a logic behind it, the explanation of which has been lost in the transition from QR&O/CFAO to CBI.  The first thing to note is that Posting Allowance was originally designed as compensation for the disruption caused by relocation (e.g. the move itself, changing of schools, new community, new bank accounts, etc).  It was never intended as reimbursement for expenses of any kind.  In other words, it's extra money because we've made your life temporarily miserable.  Furthermore, the old CFAO used to describe Posting Allowance as having two parts, each equal to one half month's pay.  The first part was the member's portion (i.e. for the disruption caused to him/her).  The second part was for the dependents (i.e. for the disruption caused to them).  If there are no dependents, then no dependents have been disrupted; therefore, logic dictates that there is nothing to be compensated in that case.

Whether this is still appropriate today is another argument, but this is the reasoning behind the half month versus whole month differential.

;D

Dependents still need food and shelter during that period; not to mention transportation (How many families today are still one car families?).
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline CombatMacgyver

• Rate Post
  • Escaped from Valcatraz
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2015, 08:31:27 »
The whole "month's pay" is another oddity that needs to be revisited; why does a married Doctor LCol with no kids get $20K in relocation, while a Cpl with 5 kids only gets $5K?

Why should the LCol be punished for his success to make it easier for the Cpl?  I say this as a lowly Cpl...

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2015, 09:01:54 »
Why should the LCol be punished for his success to make it easier for the Cpl?  I say this as a lowly Cpl...

The question is why do we pay different amounts based on rank?  Is the disruption to a Col greater than the disruption to a Cpl? Or is this a relic of the dates when truly, RHIP?

I note that Reservists who are relocated are paid a flat rate regardless of rank.  Why is that model acceptable for one group and not others?  Alternatively, public servants relocated at crown expense recieve two weeks salary. Why is one group of personnel paid by the Crown receiving 1/12 of their annual pay when moved, while another receives 1/26?

"Because we've always done it that way" is not, in and of itself, a valid reason.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ixium

• Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2015, 10:49:35 »

That actually makes some sense at why it was there in the first place...I don't fully agree with it as a person with just a spouse(that only paid $150 for a marriage certificate 5 days before posting) and a person with multiple kids are still getting the same, but who knows, somewhere it made sense.

Offline Alberta Bound

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2015, 11:29:03 »
Quote from: CombatMacguyver on May 28, 2015, 08:31:27

The question is why do we pay different amounts based on rank?  Is the disruption to a Col greater than the disruption to a Cpl? Or is this a relic of the dates when truly, RHIP?

I note that Reservists who are relocated are paid a flat rate regardless of rank.  Why is that model acceptable for one group and not others?  Alternatively, public servants relocated at crown expense recieve two weeks salary. Why is one group of personnel paid by the Crown receiving 1/12 of their annual pay when moved, while another receives 1/26?

"Because we've always done it that way" is not, in and of itself, a valid reason.

*** Of course both the PS and the Reservist only move if and when they want to. Both can stay where they are and never arrive at work one morning to a transfer notice sending them (and possibly a spouse, kids, elderly dependants) to a new and exotic location.  The PS and Reservist have a lot of control over what career changes they make and input from their family on whether to move or not. If they want the larger allowance they can always apply and if lucky put on a uniform.

Offline danteh

• Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2017, 16:51:10 »
If posted, will the CF pay for large item disposal if I cannot bring the items into my new residence? I have a strong feeling I am going to be posted this year and if I am, I plan on moving into a one bedroom apartment and I'm not going to be able to bring alot of stuff (ie my entire second bedroom set) and if I am unsuccessful at selling and/or giving it away I would want to basically throw it out.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2017, 17:14:26 »
The whole relocation policy can be found here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2009-toc.page

While I have never specifically searched for your case, I doubt it is covered.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2017, 11:23:29 »
You can check the policy, but no, I would not think that would be covered.  Your decision to "downsize" would reconsidered a personal choice, especially since the CF would  have no qualms about moving it for you.  Having said that, I've generally had no issues in selling things like that on-line (e.g. Kajiji).
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.