Author Topic: Cookie Settings  (Read 3910 times)

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
Cookie Settings
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:53:06 »
Starting last week I've been unable to login-in unless I disable all cookies. Without disabling the cookies I get an error message "unable to log in - check your cookie settings". By disabling the cookies it effects how other sites I visit operate. Has never been a problem until last week.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Cookie Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 11:48:07 »
Seems to co-incide with the forum upgrade... Would it be possible to remove any existing Army.ca cookies, and then visit with cookies enabled? The authentication and cookie handling has changed to be more secure in the current release, but it seems to have some hiccups as well.

The easy but scorched earth method is to use your browser settings to delete all cookies. That may be a hassle for people who don't want to lose all their cookies. The harder but gentler way is this:

• For IE, your cookies are in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Cookies, and you just delete [username]@army[1].txt or files named similarly.
  • For FireFox, you have to delete the line starting with "army.ca" or ".army.ca" (both if they exist) in cookies.txt. That file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profile_name].
Note that the browser must be closed when deleting the cookie, or it won't "take."

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 18:31:04 »
Solved problem by installing alternate browser (Mozilla). Graffiic's are not as good but login stays on.

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 22:37:17 »
I'm running Mozilla, and have to sign in almost (but not quite) every time. I'll try messing with the cookies.

On another note, all of a sudden, instead of each individual post "self-sizing" for lack of a better word... now I have scroll bars, within individual posts....
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 23:35:18 »
I've noticed the odd post size here and there too... I'll try to see what I can figure out there.

Offline Torlyn

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:23:08 »
On another note, all of a sudden, instead of each individual post "self-sizing" for lack of a better word... now I have scroll bars, within individual posts....

Hmm... I've noticed that to since I started running firefox...

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 09:30:29 »
I believe it's actually caused by style sheet changes since the last upgrade, and I've noticed it too...

Offline Kyle Burrows

• I'm Batman
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Barking out orders"
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 22:03:11 »
Yeah...my main page goes from logging me in auto...to welcome guest... and the scroll thingy never happens to your posts mike :P
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-- February 1955 Combat Forces Journal

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 19:00:08 »
Mike

I'm running Ad-Aware and I am picking up a lot of "Critical Objects" today ( "doubleclick" is the one ) and I am trying to track down where I am getting them from.  I have only logged onto Army.ca but Sympatico's MSN IE page is my default.  Any help?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 20:14:41 »
*shudder* Doubleclick is a notorious ad network... Army.ca has nothing to do with them. My guess is you may have picked up some adware somewhere along the way. Ad-Aware seems to be doing it's job though and keeping your system clean. Are you seeing these warnings when you view Army.ca pages? If so, I'd say you still have some adware/spyware on your system and I recommend you run another anti-spyware tool such as Microsoft's Anti-Spyware to keep your system clean.

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 20:27:49 »
George I get those same things after my son has been playing on the home computer. I run ad-aware and use avg but I also find trend micro's scan good too. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ It sometimes takes awhile, but it seems to pick up other viruses that other software misses. Good luck!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 20:34:55 »
I've been running Ad-Aware all day and every time I run it I pick up one or two "Critical Objects"........must be my sympatico Server
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.