Author Topic: CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018  (Read 254922 times)

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2016, 13:03:52 »
I still use MkIII, I gather supply will still exchange these provided their on a members Docs?

I still wear mine too, but as for exchanging them ... no longer in the system.  If it's soles though, there are a few cobblers still in existence who will re-sole for you.   :-\
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2016, 18:38:53 »
And if for some reason you ever had an inkling to buy MKIII's you can get them for cheap!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2016, 19:06:57 »
Supply Tech needs to consult the SAM and see what it says about "sizing" and what happens when members can not be properly fitted from stock-range footwear.  Section 5.5, part 2.
I read that reference at work, so only members not drawing LOTB can get special size footwear? You posted an excerpt from an email stating LOTB or nothing basically.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2016, 19:34:51 »
I read that reference at work, so only members not drawing LOTB can get special size footwear? You posted an excerpt from an email stating LOTB or nothing basically.

Sigh.

No, Ottawa was LPOing OTR footwear for everyone and their dog because there were none to be had in the system (there was no stock).  Now, the LOTBs are stocked in the system so people have to go get sized/issued them from clothing.  Blanket LPOs are no longer being done by Ottawa with national fin coding (because they are now stocked) for this item.

BUT, IAW the ref, if you can not be fitted from standard stocked sizes, then you need to see the Sup tech at clothing stores (not Ottawa) about LPOing you footwear that properly fits (with their Base's command allotment fin coding they receive for exactly this purpose).
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2016, 19:46:38 »
Sigh.

No, Ottawa was LPOing OTR footwear for everyone and their dog because there were none to be had in the system (there was no stock).  Now, the LOTBs are stocked in the system so people have to go get sized/issued them from clothing.  Blanket LPOs are no longer being done by Ottawa with national fin coding (because they are now stocked) for this item.

BUT, IAW the ref, if you can not be fitted from standard stocked sizes, then you need to see the Sup tech at clothing stores (not Ottawa) about LPOing you footwear that properly fits (with their Base's command allotment fin coding they receive for exactly this purpose).

I don't think the Sigh is required, as you likely are aware, the SAM is huge and the intricacies of the supply system are not at the forefront of people's minds. I'm not going to get frustrated because someone signing for a radio from Crypto doesn't have the INFOSEC 2(D) memorized and analyzed, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Thank you for the clarification.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2016, 12:53:09 »
I don't think the Sigh is required, as you likely are aware, the SAM is huge and the intricacies of the supply system are not at the forefront of people's minds. I'm not going to get frustrated because someone signing for a radio from Crypto doesn't have the INFOSEC 2(D) memorized and analyzed, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Thank you for the clarification.

Well, I sigh because I am not at work ... and you should have a sup tech or someone to talk to at your Unit.

I do my very best to help out, but people unable to exert leadership and look up refs on the DWAN etc, or failure within their own CoCs to communicate down to their own members makes me freakin' sigh.  IE:  The probably 50 or so times I referenced the boot reference on this site ... and still get asked for it.  Some of these people are supposed to be "leaders" --- why am I their mother?  For crying out loud, the link to the SAM is on the Defence Team Homepage:  http://intranet.mil.ca/en/

Not you personally, just the fact this crap is no secret.

And, I'm on my own damn time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:56:10 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline reverse_eng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2016, 13:05:30 »
If I was a betting man, I'd say there's not a Snr NCO in my immediate chain of command that would actually be able to find the correct reference on footwear and provide it to a junior member. Not on their own at least.

I have less than a decade of service, and yet the absolute lack of institutional knowledge I've seen displayed by those with double my TI is amazing. Even when you shove the reference in their face, they don't believe it or interpret it wrong, have to ask the WO/MWO/CWO for guidance.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2016, 13:18:29 »
If I was a betting man, I'd say there's not a Snr NCO in my immediate chain of command that would actually be able to find the correct reference on footwear and provide it to a junior member. Not on their own at least.

I have less than a decade of service, and yet the absolute lack of institutional knowledge I've seen displayed by those with double my TI is amazing. Even when you shove the reference in their face, they don't believe it or interpret it wrong, have to ask the WO/MWO/CWO for guidance.

The SAM is a large manual.  The link to it is on the DWAN homepage.  A search of DND for "Supply Manual" will also bring it up.

I bet you there isn't a supply tech in NATO who could give you the proper reference for footwear either.  The Supply Trade has way too many specialized areas (procurement, disposal, clothing, weapons etc etc).  Sup techs working in "Section X" would only be able to give you the refs for "Section X" and would have invalid insight into areas of other Sections' operations.  The rules just change too often. 

BUT, the PDF file is also able to be searched quite easily - to find the now-valid boot ref I simply went "Cntrl + F", and typed in "Footwear" into the search bar, then clicked "next" until it brought me to the applicable topic. 

In my ref in this thread (I found it by doing the above), I even gave the Section and beginning para.  If I want to know about LPO procedures, I go talk to the Cpl who currently works LPO as they are the SMEs and know their refs. 

I'd argue that any soldier should know where to look for the refs to clothing --- as their kit is signed for by them and is theirs.   They should care, but apparently they do not until there is a problem.  Call it a tick in the box under:  Problem Solving, Resource management, Initiative, Working with Others, Administration, Professional Development etc etc etc.

You can be sure that when I have an issue with claims, I am looking up the applicable regulations even though I am not a Clerk ... and I'm sure many of those who can't seem to find the SAM have also done so without hesitation.

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2016, 10:14:03 »

THIS is one of the things MOST wrong with the CAF today - laziness. And what does result? This. I don't wanna do the work so it's someone else's fault.

I once attempted to back a discussion at the front counter with a SAM reference and the MWO on the other side (Artillery) said to me "Son, there are three people I answer to - my CO, my mother and my God. Your book is NOT my concern..." Like really?
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2016, 12:50:27 »
Even when you shove the reference in their face, they don't believe it or interpret it wrong, have to ask the WO/MWO/CWO for guidance.

The chain of command only likes policies when it supports the way they think it should be.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #335 on: May 14, 2016, 13:24:46 »
I'd buy that for a dollar!

It been getting a lot worse the past few years too, and those in 'authority positions' who screw up seem rarely to be held to account.

Just another one of those 'little big things' in the CAF that are slipping more and more all the time...
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #336 on: May 14, 2016, 16:27:23 »
I'd buy that for a dollar!

It been getting a lot worse the past few years too, and those in 'authority positions' who screw up seem rarely to be held to account.

Just another one of those 'little big things' in the CAF that are slipping more and more all the time...

Don't be too harsh with the changes in the CAF, as these changes are society wide.  :nod:
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #337 on: May 14, 2016, 17:21:51 »
I don't care about society though.  We are the CAF.  If you can't do the job you have according to the rules and regs, you should be held accountable.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #338 on: October 19, 2016, 03:05:16 »
Maybe someone can point me the right direction here to the applicable document, I checked the dress manual and couldn't find anything but I keep hearing the back and forth of combats being shown, or that they have to be just blackened.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: October 19, 2016, 08:33:40 »
This is from the dress regs:

a. Shoes leather, oxfords, pumps, and boots
ankle shall be clean and shone at all times.

b. Footwear shall be laced as shown in
Figure 2-2-6.

c. Overshoes, high, boots, cold weather
(women’s), or black toe rubbers (optional)
may be worn as required and kept clean.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #340 on: October 19, 2016, 14:58:41 »
This is from the dress regs:

a. Shoes leather, oxfords, pumps, and boots
ankle shall be clean and shone at all times.

b. Footwear shall be laced as shown in
Figure 2-2-6.

c. Overshoes, high, boots, cold weather
(women’s), or black toe rubbers (optional)
may be worn as required and kept clean.

Doesn't address combat boots.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #341 on: October 19, 2016, 15:17:10 »

Yes my understanding is those regulations cover boots for DEU's as it is under the service dress section of the dress regulations
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #342 on: October 19, 2016, 16:39:22 »
Well thats all I could find :)

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2016, 16:50:26 »
Check out 2-2-1 on Appearance. Under Deportment, para 3, Military presence. Personnel in uniform shall be well groomed, with footwear cleaned and shone. And it continues on.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #344 on: October 20, 2016, 08:41:37 »
10 Years-In. I've never been told to "shine" my combat boots, and I don't think I've seen many in passing.

The one glaring exception would be during 2 of my 4 years at RMC. We had a super-keen Sgt Maj who shined his combat boots to an almost mirror gloss. However, he flat out told the entire Cadet Wing that "You're not supposed to shine your combat boots! I do, but that's just me So do as I say, not as I do!" or something like that...

God he was a terrifying man...
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #345 on: October 20, 2016, 10:06:36 »
10 Years-In. I've never been told to "shine" my combat boots, and I don't think I've seen many in passing.

The one glaring exception would be during 2 of my 4 years at RMC. We had a super-keen Sgt Maj who shined his combat boots to an almost mirror gloss. However, he flat out told the entire Cadet Wing that "You're not supposed to shine your combat boots! I do, but that's just me So do as I say, not as I do!" or something like that...

God he was a terrifying man...

I thought the current style black boots weren't to be shined but to use that green-tin silicone (?) stuff? 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:36 »
Same...14 years and have always been told to avoid a shine. High gloss shine on combat boots is right out of er.
Ive been on parade with some who spit shone the old mk3s and they stuck out...the Sgt Maj came right aboard them.

I've always been told, and now tell that black and clean is fine. Unless they have tan boots...which is a whole other story.

LightFighter

« Reply #347 on: October 20, 2016, 13:09:52 »
I thought the current style black boots weren't to be shined but to use that green-tin silicone (?) stuff?

That paste is for the Wet Weather Boots.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #348 on: October 23, 2016, 16:17:34 »
IIRC it is also the only thing to be used on the RCAF TCBs and WWBs. 

Offline Arty39

• Rate Post
« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2016, 20:31:05 »
That paste is for the Wet Weather Boots.
If you read the instructions for the mark 4's it says to use the boot paste.