Author Topic: Fallen Comrades (retired members)  (Read 482446 times)

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
Re: Fallen Comrades (retired members)
« Reply #475 on: August 26, 2019, 07:54:44 »
There is a room at CFJSR named after him.  RIP Col Sutton.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #476 on: August 26, 2019, 09:22:47 »
RIP. VVV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cmandan

• Rate Post
« Reply #477 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:28 »
Colonel Peter Sutton, aged 86. A few of you will know him, the rest are unlucky.

Colonel Sutton was a good soldier and better man.

It is very sad to know that he left us. I am really sorry and pray that more of people like him stay with us for long.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #478 on: October 16, 2019, 12:52:57 »
CWO (Ret'd) RSM Dave Russell, RCCS

Dave Russell joined the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals in December 1950 and served in Korea, the Congo, Europe and Egypt (twice). He saw many postings throughout his career retiring as the Regimental Sergeant-Major of the 1st Canadian Signal Regiment in April 1980.

I first met Dave in the early 1960s when I was a young corporal Radio Mechanic posted to 2SSM Bty (RCA) in Camp Shilo. Dave (a radio operator) was the Signal Troop sergeant. We became friends and he gave me a lot of good, solid advice about being a better soldier and NCO.

Fifteen years later, when I took command of 1 Cdn Sig regt I was pleased to have Dave as my RSM. He continued to offer me good advice. I counted him as a friend.

Dave is survived by his loving wife Jeannette (nee Lortie), they were in their 65th year of marriage.

RIP, old friend.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 13:02:08 by E.R. Campbell »
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #479 on: October 16, 2019, 14:29:52 »
RIP, Mr. Russell. :salute:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #480 on: October 16, 2019, 18:09:25 »
RIP, RSM Russell.
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #481 on: October 16, 2019, 18:30:40 »
RIP RSM
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2019, 15:27:19 »
OBITUARY FOR WILLIAM BRANCH

William Blair Branch, CD, MS (Ret), 56 of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia formerly of Bathurst, New Brunswick peacefully passed on October 11, 2019 at the Dartmouth General Hospital after a brief illness with family at his side. Born October 19, 1962, the second son of Norman William and the late Ethel Joyce (Scott) Branch.

He is survived by his daughter Nicole Erin Branch of Truro Nova Scotia and survived by brothers Kenneth (Monique) of Clifton, NB, Robert of Oakbank, MB and sister Chantal Tycholiz (Ronald) of Kenora, ON. He is also survived by nieces and nephew, Charlene, Samantha, Jenna, and Jayden.

Billy graduated from Bathurst High School in 1982 then pursued the Youth Training Employment Program with the Canadian Armed Forces and decided to join the regular forces in 1983 as a Naval Steward. MS Branch’s career included postings from CFS Shelburne, NS to CFB Esquimalt, BC. During these postings he served on the HMCS Athabascan, Iroquois, Preserver, and the Vancouver. His naval NATO and Peacekeeping tours included; CFS Alert (x2), Adriatic Sea (x2), Afghanistan (x1). He participated in the Cross Canada International Tattoo in 1985. After 24 years of dedicated service to Queen and country MS Branch was honorably discharged. During his retirement Billy took up employment with the Corps of Commissioners in the City of Halifax. In his spare time, you would find Billy tending to his immaculate kept yard, waxing his Ford trucks and loving his cats. He was full of life, and when Billy walked in a room his bright smile warmed the place. He will be deeply missed by all who have had the opportunity to know him.

Our family send heartfelt thanks to the physicians and staff at the Dartmouth General Hospital; 3 West for their professionalism and dedication during this difficult time.

There will be no visitation. Billy’s wishes a committal of ashes at sea with a celebration of life; time and place to be determined.

Donations in the memory of Billy may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society, or a charity of the donor’s choice.

Arrangements are in the care of A. L. Mattatall Funeral Home, Dartmouth. To view or leave a condolence please visit: www.mattatallfuneralhome.com

Billy's parents were my next door neighbours for my entire childhood.  All his brothers also served in the CAF and his sister Chantal is married to a former Combat Engineer.

Great bunch of people who loved their trucks and family.  Found memories of Billy waxing his truck meticulously every Saturday!

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #483 on: October 27, 2019, 07:17:07 »
Deeply sad to learn of the death, at age 92, of my mentor and, I daresay, friend, Colonel Don Strong.

Don enlisted in the Canadian Army, in The Royal Canadian Regiment, during World War II. He was selected for commissioning and was part of the Royal Military College's "New One Hundred" Class of 1952 - the first graduating class when the college reopened at the end of World War Two.  Upon graduation, as an electrical engineer, he went back to war, this time in Korea, as a Signal Officer.

I worked for Don a couple of times ~ he was a hard task-master but, unfailingly kind and willing to explain why he always wanted things done the right way, the first time and why it was even more important to do the right thing rather than just doing things right. In one particular instance, I recall that he gave me leave to follow a somewhat risky course of staff action and then stood up to a group of sceptical very senior officers to defend me because he was convinced that I was doing what the Army needed, even if my solution to a problem was unconventional. 

Don and his lovely wife Jeannie were, very simply, good people ~ examples to us all. He shall be sorely missed.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:09:07 by E.R. Campbell »
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"