Author Topic: Redress of Grievance – Mega thread [MERGED]  (Read 192835 times)

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Redress of Grievance – Mega thread [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 21:36:55 »
ok...........

I have also seen a number of decisions coming out from DGCFGA (FA) ... no analysis file being sent to the individual ... but will take your word for it.

Note that, even if we did send the analysis to the individual, wouldn't make much of a difference in the end product - though it would make it virtually impossible to close 'er up in 60 days...

(BTW - have you ever seen a serious grievance get settled in 60 days?...)
Chimo!

Offline 284_226

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 21:43:33 »
I've never seen any grievance solved in under 60 days.  If it's gone to paper, it's six months at least   ;D

Offline kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 22:03:17 »
Thank you to both of you (284_226  & geo) on this discussion. I have seen part of the grievance process in action and could not put all the parts together. I am not involved in one nor is anyone that I know. The knowledge on how the process actually works between the levels and groups (RegF & ResF) reduces the misinformation that flies through the lower decks.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline 404SqnAVSTeach

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 08:35:58 »
Good morning, I am looking for a template for a memo that I have to draft to my CO.  I have read the proper Admin Orders but I cannot find the type of info I will need to gather for my redress or what should be on the memo.

Thank you in advance
-M- 
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 08:42:49 »
My suggestion is to write it like a standard memo. Start with the first paragraph stating your intent. The second and succeeding paragraphs should itemize each point you wish to contend. The last paragraph should state the resolution you desire. Write it up and then find the person you want as an assisting officer to help you polish it before submission to the CO.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline 404SqnAVSTeach

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 08:56:17 »
Thank you. 

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 18:02:19 »
Thank you. 

Here's one laid out for you:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,34891.msg275373.html#msg275373

PROTECTED B (1st line of page)

Memorandum

5230-1 (XXX Pers)   (note XXX = your last 3/the file # is correct)

XX Sep 05

Commandant

REDRESS OF GRIEVANCE FY 2004 ANNUAL PERFORMANCE
EVALUATION REPORT XXX CPL BLOGGINS DATED XX MAY 04 (Bold font) (or Regular font with the bottom line underlined)

Refs:  a. Memorandum 5225-4 (Unit CO)
          b. CFPAS DAOD
          c. CF Grievance Manual Jun 2000
          d. CFAO 19-32
          e. Memorandum 1180-1 (XXX Pers)
          f.   Commander's Commendation dated XX Mar 04   

1.     At this time, I XXX Cpl JD Bloggins, submit a Redress of Grievance pertaining to subj annual PER IAW refs b, c and d.

2.     I am convinced that the above-mentioned evaluation report, in no way, accurately reflects neither my performance nor my potential for the reported period. As outlined at ref a, Unit CO directed that all memos and Letters of Appreciation were to be taken into account during the preparation of all PERs for personnel for FY 04. In contradiction to to ref a, my PER is inaccurate in that:

a.   I have been awarded a Performance Factor 11 (Written Communication) Score
        of "NI' despite  the fact that I recd ref e Memorandum from the Base Comd recognizing
        my outstanding written  communication abilities while employed as the Base Routine
        Order Writer etc etc;

b.   I have been awarded a score of "N" in Potential Factor 6 (Dedication) despite the
        presentation of ref f Commander's Commendation for outstanding dedication to my
        community, trade and the CF as a whole; and

c.   No mention of refs e and f are made in the "new qualification and skills" section of   
        subj PER despite directives at ref a stating that these were to be included.

3.     In closing, I ask that all draft copies and other applicable paperwork used by my supervisor in preparing this PER be retained on file until the conclusion of my redress process.

4.     For your consideration, Sir.
(5 spaces)
JD Bloggins
Cpl
IC POL

PROTECTED B (last line from the bottom of your page)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline BC Old Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 00:50:55 »
Make certain that you are clear on what your grievance is about - it should be something that has in your opinion harmed your or caused an injustice.

Also, make certain you detail what redress you want - how to address the harm / injustice  that has been done to you.

Offline 404SqnAVSTeach

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 06:38:24 »
Thanks you very much guys.  I've more info here in less than a week, than I have here in over a couple months.

Very appreciated
-M-

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 07:25:16 »
Do NOT forget to request an Assisting Officer if one is not offered up to you. Many people are unaware that they can have one assigned in a Redress of Grievance situation.

You are also allowed the AO of your choice, if that particular individual is willing, available, and uninvolved in the circumstances of the Grievance.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline pte4life

• Pte4Life No more.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 13:15:43 »
I cant seem to find the CF Grievance Manual. Is it an annex in a daod, or qr&o? I've searched google, and CF sites, but i cant find a link or the document itself.

Thank you for your help!

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 13:19:55 »
I cant seem to find the CF Grievance Manual. Is it an annex in a daod, or qr&o? I've searched google, and CF sites, but i cant find a link or the document itself.

Thank you for your help!

http://www.cfga.forces.gc.ca/pubs/griev_instruments/manual_e.asp
Please delete this account

Offline pte4life

• Pte4Life No more.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 13:26:00 »
Awesome, thank you very much!

Offline pte4life

• Pte4Life No more.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 13:31:32 »
After reading the first page in the manual, it states :

"Officers and non-commissioned members of the CF who believe they have been aggrieved by a decision, act or omission in the administration of the affairs of the CF for which no other process for redress is provided under the NDA, and that is not specifically precluded in the NDA or QR&O, have the right to submit a grievance."

Is there a difference between a redress and a grievance? If there is i would imagine that a redress is a less aggressive approach. I'm simply redressing/ grieving a PER that left out several of my courses and training details for the last Fiscal Year. I've referenced the grievance memo template, is this the course of action i should be taking. I dont want to upset anyone, only have an accurate PER.

Thanks again!

Online E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 13:36:23 »
"Grievance" ought to be self explanatory; when you feel someone has done something which has, unfairly, caused problems for you then you may have a grievance; you are the aggrieved party.

Redress (which can be a verb or a noun) is the act of providing relief or satisfaction or the satisfactory outcome, itself. In fact, redress need not be 100% satisfactory (in your view) - redress might involve nothing more than a good explanation of why you were not unfairly harmed.

Does that help?
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 14:15:57 »
To add a little bit, we often use "Redress" in a way that's not quite correct and is probably confusing to some: we talk about submitting a "redress of grievance" when in fact what we are submitting is a memo asking for a redress, i.e. solution, to our grievance.

Offline Harris

is in to a warm place.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 14:59:02 »
Personally, I'd try sending a memo to your boss first and ask to have the PER edited to include the additional courses/training.  If that doesn't work, then I'd go the grievance route.  Is there some reason they weren't included, and did you mention it when you signed your PER?
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 15:17:11 »
Personally, I'd try sending a memo to your boss first and ask to have the PER edited to include the additional courses/training.  If that doesn't work, then I'd go the grievance route.  Is there some reason they weren't included, and did you mention it when you signed your PER?

This is probably the best way to start...  Talk to you CoC first and address it through normal admin routes first.

This is even suggested in the manual;

2.2 Informal Resolution

The benefits of adopting an informal approach to complaint resolution are significant. Informal resolution of a complaint can take less time and be far less stressful. Where individuals undertake to resolve a complaint informally, they retain more control over the outcome, and the solutions reached are often more satisfying and more durable than those that are imposed by a third party or through more formal means. Therefore, all parties are encouraged to seek a solution to their concerns in the least formal and most appropriate means possible. The right to grieve does not preclude a verbal request for resolution directly to the Commanding Officer (CO) prior to submitting a grievance. Even after a grievance is submitted, grievors may still withdraw or have their grievances put in abeyance in favour of pursuing an informal resolution.

2.3 Alternate Dispute Resolution

CANFORGEN 064/03 (Conflict Management Program) provides that when a conflict situation occurs, military and civilian personnel must be given the opportunity to consider the various alternate dispute resolution (ADR) options available to deal with their disputes and be provided assistance in making informed choices, particularly at the first stage of the complaint process. ADR does not mean formal mediation, which is a form of ADR. ADR includes all possible avenues to resolve a conflict early, locally and informally such as conciliation, coaching, facilitation or a simple discussion between the parties involved. Both the CF and DND encourage and are considering making ADR a first and compulsory step in conflict resolution. It is therefore incumbent upon all CF personnel to take advantage, where appropriate, of the services offered by the Dispute Resolution Centres (DRCs).

Unless, of course, you've already tried these routes.

Offline pte4life

• Pte4Life No more.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 13:49:58 »
I dont want to step on anyone's shoes, or upset anyone. It's upsetting receiving the PER which was issued to me, considering the individual left out all of my summer courses and takings. Somehow my unit lost my PDR which stated everything i did over the course of summer prob consisting of over 60% of my yearly attendance. Then my next higher asked for me to provide him with a list of all my courses and trg, and even that never reached my PER. Ironically i was praised for writing such a detailed account of events.

Despite my frustration, I still want to have this amended in the most informal method possible, since that's likely to be the most productive method to have any sort of praise included within my evaluation. That's why i was asking if there was a difference between a redress and a grievance, even though now i know that a redress of grievance is one and the same, and that there is no separation of that form of complaint. But again, if informal methods are available, and generate acceptable progress, these  are almost always the best route to take.

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 14:24:31 »
pte4life,

I have been in much the same predicament;  For my first 4 years in, no one updated my UER or Pers File (I was listed as a Pte (R) in peoplesoft 2 years after being promoted to Cpl.).  I had no idea there was any issue until I was set to go on a course and decided to take a look at my UER...  It was blank.  It had one course report from my QL2 (BMQ) and thats it.

Luckily, I had kept every single pay statement I ever received, kept copies of course reports and tracked, on a calendar, every exercise, event, course (including band gigs) I had ever participated in.  So, one day I sat down and updated everything and had the Pipe Major and OC sign off on everything.

So, lesson learned; Keep track of your career, 'cause someone else may not be.  (and it really is your responsibility... )

In your situation, I would suggest the informal route first; talk to you chain of command...if nothing comes of it, write a memo... if nothing comes of it after that, then file a grievance and await a redress.  As long as you don't make it a personal thing (give attitude), then you shouldn't be stepping on toes... This process is is 100% legitimate, and professional... no one should have an issue as long as you proceed without prejudice, emotion or attitude and exude nothing but professionalism... And keep track of everything; dates/times/location/details of conversation, copies of Memos and, if it goes that far; copies of statement of grievance. 
Make sure all your information is accurate and well documented.

Anyway, I hope all works out for you... and just keep a personal account of your career for just such an emergency in the future.   

Good luck.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 15:46:03 »
If your PER has not left the unit, the best solution is to go through your chain of command and request to have it rewritten to include the missing information.  Last year, some minor points on my PER got changed after my supervisors and I discussed it.

If this is not the case, you will more than likely have to go through the grievance process.  Normally, you are supposed to submit this within six months of the event occurring, unless there are extenuating circumstances (you were tasked, on tour, posted, etc).  Make sure you get an assisting officer as well.

I just had a very positive conclusion to a grievance that I filed in November 2006.  It may be a long process, but try to be patient!!
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 16:04:43 »
I strongly suggest that you try to achieve your aim thru other means first, IAW Article 2.3 of the Manual.  Talk to your Chain of Command first.  If they don't take it serious, submit a memo asking to see your Platoon WO, Lt, whoever is the next highest up from where you are getting the cone of silence.

If you DO submit a grievance, I STRONGLY suggest that you request an Assisting Member IAW Art 5.3 of the Grievance Manaul.  The Assisting Member is not there to assist you in content per say or to advocate on your behalf, but they can be vital in the submission of a well-worded, clear grievance.  They will also advise you on the process, assist you to in tapping into ADR resources, etc etc.

5.3 The Assisting Member
The appointment of an Assisting Member is mandatory once a grievor makes a request to the CO (QR&O 7.03(1) (Assistance)). Ideally, the officer or non-commissioned member so assigned should be an individual selected by the grievor. However, if this is not practical, the CO may appoint someone else. The grievor is not obliged to accept or use the substitute offered by the CO.

The role of the Assisting Member is limited to ensuring that the grievor is familiar with the grievance rules and procedures and to helping the grievor to articulate clearly, completely and concisely the grievance and redress sought. While the Assisting Member may assist in all aspects of information and evidence gathering in support of the grievance at each level, it is the grievor's responsibility to make their own case. The Assisting Member is not the grievor's advocate, lawyer or representative and is not permitted to speak formally on behalf of, or in any way officially represent, the grievor within the grievance process.

Again I strongly suggest you try to do this thru lower level avenues, but encourage you to follow it thru, however the first question you might ask is will it change your PER any?  You 10-07 will always reflect any/all reserve service provided that your admin is done correctly by your unit.  Not all taskings I did ended up on my PER per say when I was PRes because there were so many of them during a given reporting period.  My UER reflected these taskings and my 10-07 as well...something to consider.  Are you concerned this will affect a future CT, or promotion or something?

"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline pte4life

• Pte4Life No more.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 16:08:02 »
If your PER has not left the unit, the best solution is to go through your chain of command and request to have it rewritten to include the missing information.  Last year, some minor points on my PER got changed after my supervisors and I discussed it.

If this is not the case, you will more than likely have to go through the grievance process.  Normally, you are supposed to submit this within six months of the event occurring, unless there are extenuating circumstances (you were tasked, on tour, posted, etc).  Make sure you get an assisting officer as well.

I just had a very positive conclusion to a grievance that I filed in November 2006.  It may be a long process, but try to be patient!!

Can my assisting officer also be my OC? Or does the assisting officer have to be someone outside your chain of command?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 16:29:12 »
Can my assisting officer also be my OC? Or does the assisting officer have to be someone outside your chain of command?

It is an Assisting Member, which can be an Officer.  In my case, I used one outside my CoC but that is up to your CO and you.  Read my post above on Art 5.3
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline pte4life

• Pte4Life No more.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 16:48:10 »
It is an Assisting Member, which can be an Officer.  In my case, I used one outside my CoC but that is up to your CO and you.  Read my post above on Art 5.3

I want my PER to be re-assessed because I feel like i am better than my PER made me out to be. As it was written, it picked out primarially negitive traits which occured over the course of 2 exercises. It seems silly to accept a negitive PER which hardly credits the soldier for their achievements, and positive contrabutions when you're being ranked amongst your peers. Especially when it has pull regarding competition for taskings, promotins and tours. I simply want to be credited for my successes, and have my training acknowledged, instead of looking like a lazy slob.