Author Topic: Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves  (Read 1247414 times)

stellarpanther

Quite frankly you seem hell bent on appearing to habe an informed opinion on the service availability of present day reservists based on your time in the mo' several decades ago. I'm not sure that you do.

Well we're all entitled to our opinions whether we agree with each other or not.  I'm stating my opinion, if a person can't get the required training in a timely manner regardless of the reason, what's the point in being in the Reserves?  Maybe I'm wrong and please correct me if I am but isn't the purpose of the Reserves to augment the Reg Force when needed or did that change since I was a Reservist?  If I'm right, how is that done when Reserve units are half full of untrained mbr's?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Well we're all entitled to our opinions whether we agree with each other or not.  I'm stating my opinion, if a person can't get the required training in a timely manner regardless of the reason, what's the point in being in the Reserves?  Maybe I'm wrong and please correct me if I am but isn't the purpose of the Reserves to augment the Reg Force when needed or did that change since I was a Reservist?  If I'm right, how is that done when Reserve units are half full of untrained mbr's?

You're entitled to your own opinion; you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. You're still not grasping that there's a difference between the circumstances of the 17 year old recruit, and the 32 year old MCpl or Sgt. And no, reserve units are not 'half full of untrained pers'. While all will have  cadre of troops going through their basic training, most reserve units have quite a good roster of people who have hit their Operationally Functional Point. In PRes infantry, for instance, most troops if they join in the fall can be fully DP1 trained by the end of the first summer. Yes, expecially in the more technical trades there are some who are not able to get trained up quickly. In other cases a member may join with every intention of being able to complete the training, but then for whatever reason hiccups ensue and their training progression is delayed- maybe a death in the family that precludes them going on course; maybe not enough course serials to handle the number of recruits, suddenly landing a good new job that they can't break away from in the first year... But I know when I was a recruiting NCO, I made sure everyone came through the door understanding the expectations regarding availability for the necessary summer(s) to get trained up.

Depending on the need, the reserves have a lot of bodies and a lot of... say section level leadership, with a modest amount of higher level leadership. That said the reserves are heavily weighted in favour of combat arms with relatively faster training towards OFP. It's easier to generate effective riflemen than effective medics or vehicle techs. So it depends on what problem set we're structuring our force against.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

There was a time you could get your QL2 and QL3 and even a a QL4 in a year.  Then 2 years later get all your leadership quals.  Now i’m Talking infantry.

But then they moved to the PLQ and DP system.  First year you could get your DP1.  Then you needed to get a platoon support weapons course before you could start PLQ.  Then get on the PLQ mod system.  Then get your ASA.  Then get your section 2ic course.  Then hopefully get on an advanced field firing qual.  Then go on your rifle section commander course.  I know it has gone back to the older model now but we’ve had over a decade of this broken system.  Some other trades have had it way worse.

So a 17 year old that joins might get that all done in 5 or 6 years.  They likely graduated from college or university by then and might have found full time work by then.  So by the time they are qualified to be of any use as instructors or leaders they can’t commit the same time.  Keep in mind they committed five years of summers and weekends to get to that point.   Then they get into jobs that while sympathetic and will try to accommodate, that will only go so far for so long. Also if they can’t get to Sgt they age themselves out of their peer group leaving them more or less ready to quit.

It used to be you needed a QL4 and a 10 day ex before getting promoted to CPL.  Now?  It’s automatic.  So their is really no motivation to getting promoted.  MCpl? Barely makes more than a CPL and requires way more time and effort and crap, so why bother?

These are institutional problems that need fixing but likely won’t be.

Optio

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
We have our system more paperwork intensive and longer for no reason. Example PRes weapons techs have a course on ancillary equipment, no can answer why it takes 3 weeks to teach Coleman stove and lantern, and 4 days of kitchen trailer gas Line maintenance.

I agree, and it grinds my gears that promotion seem automatic in some cases. Though I have also seen examples of it not happening to people who should never be promoted which was great to see, including one gentleman who thought he would get his leaf just because he got plq. Oh boy was that fun to see him shut down.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 22:34:18 by MilEME09 »
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
Happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the article.

It's a very stripped down version of my book: "Unsustainable at Any Price: The Canadian Armed Forces in Crisis" https://www.amazon.ca/Unsustainable-At-Any-Price-Canadian-ebook/dp/B086HXC66Q as I was limited to 7,000 words which was already a very generous increase in size afforded me by the CMJ's editors.

Unfortunately, it's a big subject and not one solvable by simple solutions.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

It's a very stripped down version of my book: "Unsustainable at Any Price: The Canadian Armed Forces in Crisis" https://www.amazon.ca/Unsustainable-At-Any-Price-Canadian-ebook/dp/B086HXC66Q as I was limited to 7,000 words which was already a very generous increase in size afforded me by the CMJ's editors.

Well if the solution can`t be formatted to fit the Briefing Note format, then we can`t use that solution and certainly not in that font.....

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Well if the solution can`t be formatted to fit the Briefing Note format, then we can`t use that solution and certainly not in that font.....

Sure you can, it's just multiple briefing notes, one each day till the point gets across

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

I'm going to pick that bad boy up the next time I put an amazon order in.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
Sure you can, it's just multiple briefing notes, one each day till the point gets across

This is why books have chapters.  ;D
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
https://www.forces.net/news/virtual-battlefield-how-reservists-have-kept-training-during-lockdown

I was reading this today about how the British reserves are utilizing VBS right now to train remotely. It got me thinking, right now the CAF uses VBS, but it is usually for large scale events in centralized locations to utilize a lag free local network. Should we perhaps expand the use of VBS  in armories? Have VBS labs in each one, train people to operate it just like a SAT. Potentially create a network for multiple units/armouries to connect together and do combined operations on evenings and weekends.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
https://www.forces.net/news/virtual-battlefield-how-reservists-have-kept-training-during-lockdown

I was reading this today about how the British reserves are utilizing VBS right now to train remotely. It got me thinking, right now the CAF uses VBS, but it is usually for large scale events in centralized locations to utilize a lag free local network. Should we perhaps expand the use of VBS  in armories? Have VBS labs in each one, train people to operate it just like a SAT. Potentially create a network for multiple units/armouries to connect together and do combined operations on evenings and weekends.

If the SAT system was supposed to prepare us to operate even more sophisticated systems like this, I’m guessing we should stick to chalk boards :)
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
If the SAT system was supposed to prepare us to operate even more sophisticated systems like this, I’m guessing we should stick to chalk boards :)
The problem with the CAF is that we fall for the "oooo....SHINY! Lets buy it!" 9 times out 10 the shiny arrives at the unit and the folks who are required to use it say, "Umm....did anyone set up the support system, the training system and the updating of the software schedule?" "
The usual answer is "No...................BUT SHINY!!!! :temptation:"

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
The problem with the CAF is that we fall for the "oooo....SHINY! Lets buy it!" 9 times out 10 the shiny arrives at the unit and the folks who are required to use it say, "Umm....did anyone set up the support system, the training system and the updating of the software schedule?" "
The usual answer is "No...................BUT SHINY!!!! :temptation:"

One of the main issues with VBS is DND won't purchase dedicated stand alone computers for it. As a result, software conflicts with out security programs etc cause crashes, slow downs and other technical issues.