Author Topic: The US Military and saluting  (Read 10500 times)

Fader

The US Military and saluting
« on: June 19, 2003, 16:11:00 »
Why is it Americans salute without head dress?  I don‘t know, but I think it just looks retarded.  Anyone have an explanation for that?

Offline Dixon

• Does Not Play Well With Others...
  • Rate Post
  • B Sqn SALH
Re: The US Military and saluting
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 16:24:00 »
Just a Funny Side Note on Saluting and Americans

A week or Two back my Sqn held its annual review, my last before i go for BMQ in the fall, and our RO was an American Loo-Tenant Colonel, anemd Kaiser. Well During the march past when I called for an Eyes Right as passing the reviewing dais, all my officers saluted and he snapped off a quick salute, and then realized that the salute was still supposed to held until the unit had passed. Man did he have a red face

P.S. Do not make the following joke to your CO when the RO is 2 hrs late "Ve cannot start za war vith out za Kaiser!"
"What Are you Doing Dixon!"
"Thats a Rhetorical Question, Right Sir?"

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: The US Military and saluting
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 18:58:00 »
The US Army has a strict policy of if your under cover (read indoors) you shall remove your cover. That one go me into a bit of trouble a couple times when on SUE with the Yanks. Secondly, as a sign of repect in a supriors‘ office wether indoor or out, you shall start and finish with proper compliments to your superior.

In Canada, we have a similar thing about coming to attention entering and exiting offices that is not far off.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."