Author Topic: Victoria class subs  (Read 1790 times)

Offline cameron

• Rate Post
Victoria class subs
« on: February 25, 2006, 15:17:27 »
I was just wondering, has anyone heard the Conservatives say what they plan to do with those problematic Victoria class subs.  Personally I think they should be scrapped.  There are quite a few good new diesel subs on the market, for example the French have just produced one.  Thats just my opinion, but I would like to know what the Conservatives plan to do with them, anyone out there heard anything? :skull: :skull:
"All men dream: but not equally.  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Victoria class subs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 17:50:41 »
Bigger fish to fry before we go and committ ourselves to some new(er) subs
Chimo!

Offline derael

• Rate Post
  • The True North, Strong and Free
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 23:17:38 »
To my understanding if the Victoria class subs worked like they are designed to, they are actually decent subs. I guess the trouble would to actually make them work at the level they should...

I'm guessing it would also be possible to upgrade them with some type of AIP system. From what I remember there are also a few canadian solutions for AIP although I can't remember where I last seen that info. I'll have to look around for it.

Not sure if the cost would be worth it but I'm sure if the contract was given to a Canadian company it would surely reduce the costs.

Found it.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/ft-winz1.htm
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:04:42 by PuckChaser »

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 23:56:45 »
The problem with getting rid of the Victoria class subs is there isn't any comparable boats to replace them, either we get a lesser boat (shorter range, lower endurance), or wait, perhaps a long time, for some shipyard to build something suitable for our needs. Don't forget the "Upholder" class was essentially a nuclear submarine without the reactor, which made sense given the UK's geographical position. Since we are simply at the other end of the same ocean, and have even more coastline (even discounting the arctic), these are a good fit. Most of the European subs are meant for the Baltic or North Sea, and as for buying a Russian sub....

The problems are directly attributable to the last government, which dithered on the actual purchase order while the boats were "on blocks" and exposed for several years to the elements. As an experiment, park your car outside, unattended, for 3 or four years, then go for a drive...

If we were to invest some R&D funds into building small prototype subs and engineering test articles, then this wouldn't be such a big issue either, there would be a knowledge base in Canada to build or modify subs for our use. Even weird and exotic ideas could be tried (the former USSR was working on "concrete subs", due to the compression strength on that material, and the Italian FOCA submarines built out of donut shaped sections of steel pipe (which also double as fuel and oxygen tanks) have the potential to be expanded into ocean going subs) and refined if they showed potential to meet our needs.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 13:41:28 »
from what I was told, the lead ship in the Upholder class of subs, when decomissioned in the UK, had her boyancy tanks filled with salt water. Given that kind of treatment to 1 ship... can only imagine the attitude of the people made responsible for looking after them.
Chimo!