Author Topic: Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]  (Read 450859 times)

Offline WonderGirl

• =^-^=
  • Rate Post
  • Warrior Princess-in-Training
Re: Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]
« Reply #625 on: February 06, 2011, 21:35:17 »
The recruiter told me I could be a sea six months up to a year or two depending on the world situations and where and how they would need us  :salute:  The MARS sections says plan on your first 4 years at sea.  (they must mean living on the boat? not actually away at sea?)
“Life is the only game in which the object of the game is to learn the rules.”
--A.B.

Offline WonderGirl

• =^-^=
  • Rate Post
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2011, 21:38:31 »
Whoa, who said anything about being at sea for a year?  The longest trip you'll see will be 6 months, and those are few and far between.  Even then, you'll see lots of foreign ports during a trip that long, so it's not all work and no play.

That said, if you're looking to spend time a little closer to home, you're more likely to encounter that as an AC Op than as a Nav Comm.

phew!I'm really glad to hear that! I had visions of never seeing my pets or friends again LOL I feel better about accepting Nav Comm as my second now.   I can do six months . (I was thinking I would be gone from my pets/family/friends every year for six months for the rest of my life)
--A.B.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #627 on: February 06, 2011, 21:40:48 »
The recruiter told me I could be a sea six months up to a year or two depending on the world situations and where and how they would need us  :salute:  The MARS sections says plan on your first 4 years at sea.  (they must mean living on the boat? not actually away at sea?)

I think you might've misunderstood what they were telling you.  The longest trip you'll see is six months, but you'd be posted to a ship for 2-4 years.  You'd likely be doing more frequent, shorter trips than the six month deployments, but still likely spend more time alongside in Halifax/Esquimalt than you'd actually spend at sea.

When they say plan on your first 4 years at sea, they mean posted to a ship, not posted to a desk in Ottawa or somewhere like that.

Offline WonderGirl

• =^-^=
  • Rate Post
« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2011, 21:43:02 »
I think you might've misunderstood what they were telling you.  The longest trip you'll see is six months, but you'd be posted to a ship for 2-4 years.  You'd likely be doing more frequent, shorter trips than the six month deployments, but still likely spend more time alongside in Halifax/Esquimalt than you'd actually spend at sea.

When they say plan on your first 4 years at sea, they mean posted to a ship, not posted to a desk in Ottawa or somewhere like that.

Yes I totally did! LOL thanks for the patience with this newbie.  Hmmm Nav Comm is sounding more attractive by the minute ;D
--A.B.

aesop081

« Reply #629 on: February 06, 2011, 21:47:17 »
The longest trip you'll see is six months,

Did one of the CPFs not spend 9 months out in 2001/02 ??

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #630 on: February 06, 2011, 22:09:20 »
Did one of the CPFs not spend 9 months out in 2001/02 ??

If I remember correctly, one of them did...but I'm not certain it was that time frame.  Whatever ship it was, they were near the end of their 6 month NATO, and they were diverted to the Gulf...either for Gulf War II, or to start up Op Apollo.  Pretty sure it was one of those.  Very, very rare circumstance, though.

aesop081

« Reply #631 on: February 06, 2011, 22:28:49 »
  Very, very rare circumstance, though.

Yes but it does illustrate why using absolutes such as "The longest trip you'll see is six months" is not a good idea. Applicants will take that as gospel and then complain about it. Remember that the Op in this case misunderstood most of what she was told.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2011, 06:01:35 »
Yes but it does illustrate why using absolutes such as "The longest trip you'll see is six months" is not a good idea. Applicants will take that as gospel and then complain about it. Remember that the Op in this case misunderstood most of what she was told.

Oh give me a break.  The longest scheduled trip is 6 months, same as it was when I joined.  We were once scheduled for a 5 month NATO, which got extended by a month mid-way through.  Guess what?  We complained.  Its a normal state for sailors to be in, complaining.  The old man only worries when the crew stops complaining.

Here, is this better?

The longest scheduled trip is six months.  However, once in a while, a war will come along and cause all rules to be tossed out the window.    ::)

Offline WonderGirl

• =^-^=
  • Rate Post
« Reply #633 on: February 11, 2011, 19:15:05 »
LOL thanks guys!   I sent my application in today with Aerospace Control as my first choice and Nav Comm as my second. I will be happy to do either for the rest of my career.  thanks again for the help!
--A.B.

Offline jemcgrg

• Rate Post
« Reply #634 on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:03 »
Hey, I am just wondering around how long Phase 3 (occupational) training for AEC generally is? And how hard is it to maintain a relationship/family while becoming an AEC in the canadian forces? Especially given that my boyfriend is in the army.

Thanks! I appreciate any responses.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #635 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:27 »
Especially given that my boyfriend is in the army.

Have you researched the AEC trade and what possible postings you could be assigned?  There are no AEC in Edmonton, Wainwright, Shilo, Meaford, Petawawa, Quebec and Gagetown.  So unless your BF gets an OT to a blue trade or gets a job working at the WRTF - I see long distance in your future.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #636 on: March 10, 2011, 11:25:23 »
Hey, I am just wondering around how long Phase 3 (occupational) training for AEC generally is? And how hard is it to maintain a relationship/family while becoming an AEC in the canadian forces? Especially given that my boyfriend is in the army.

Thanks! I appreciate any responses.

(all of these are approx. times)

On the ATC side:  VFR - 6 weeks, IFR - 4 1/2 months.  On the AD side:  Weapons - 3 1/2 months

Not sure about ATC.  But when you finish Weapons, you will then go to North Bay where you have another 3 1/2 months of training before you are given your posting message (most stay in North Bay).

All of the AEC streams are difficult and there is alot of weekend studying and practical times.  Do not count on any free time to be able to travel somewhere else.  You will most likely get a weekend here and there that you feel you are able to go places.  But the best way to look at it is that you are busy from start to finish, and make no other plans.

As for maintaining a relationship, it can be done for sure.  Just realize that you might not see each other for that whole training time.  But you have full access to phone and internet.  (I had more written re: relationship in different elements, but I see Zoomie has covered that.)
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline formerguard

• Rate Post
« Reply #637 on: March 12, 2011, 16:00:47 »
Zoomie - Sorry to threadjack slightly, but we do have a few (very few) AEC positions in Edmonton, Pet, Valcatrazz, and Gagetown.  Some are SATCOs, others as G3 Air, FAC, etc.  However, none of these are first ops tours...

Offline jemcgrg

• Rate Post
« Reply #638 on: March 17, 2011, 10:33:53 »
Thanks everyone! Yes I have done a lot of research on it, but there didn't seem to be anything that even mildly indicated how long Phase lll would be so I definitely appreciate the information.

I know it will be long distance for some time, I'm anticipating about 2 years of being away with all the training I'll have to do, assuming I make it through of course, I know AEC training is difficult to get through and a lot of hard work, not to mention being stressful.

Thanks for the information and any additional details anyone has let me know.

I was also wondering though, I've heard from some unreliable sources that as an AEC i'll basically only be doing the work from the trade for a few years and then I will be more of a paper pusher. This sounds completely inaccurate to me but I would like to have the confirmation that I'll actually get to work in the trade I am being trained in! This is coming from an NCO who I am certain doesn't have much respect for officers so as far as I am concerned this makes them quite unreliable.

Offline formerguard

• Rate Post
« Reply #639 on: March 17, 2011, 22:59:15 »
Well, there's always admin and paperwork... That being said, I'm guessing what they meant is that in order to be 'well-rounded', we generally have to have both Ops and Staff experience.  Your ops postings are basically your primary (operational) duty, whereas staff (to include formal instructional postings now) might be what they're referring to as 'paper pushing'.  Of course, you don't necessarily have to follow such a career model - I've met plenty of people who have only had operational postings.

Offline jemcgrg

• Rate Post
« Reply #640 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:43 »
Yeah, I would anticipate there being a mixture but not just going from working as an AEC doing AEC work for like 2 years and then just signing my name to things for my remaining career. lol.

Thanks for the clarification!

(I'm pretty sure they are just jealous that I will be their superior, lol)

Offline formerguard

• Rate Post
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2011, 09:26:44 »
No, there's a decent mix of ops- and staff-type work through the ranks, so you'll get your chance to do what you're trained to do.  Of course, I had a buddy (in trade) go off to a staff job after a bit less than a year of a first op posting - needs of the service, and all.  I wouldn't say this is the norm in our career-field.

Offline jemcgrg

• Rate Post
« Reply #642 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:43 »
Ahhh... well hopefully that won't be what happens but I guess I won't rule it out as a possibility.

Thanks!

Offline generalmeng

• Rate Post
« Reply #643 on: April 01, 2011, 14:52:09 »
April 1st is here, Aerospaced_out, are there any news on what the trade is like in the new year? such as openings, training backlogs...etc

Offline Aerospaced_out

• Rate Post
« Reply #644 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:03 »
April 1st is here, Aerospaced_out, are there any news on what the trade is like in the new year? such as openings, training backlogs...etc

I am sorry to announce that things are not looking good for folks wanting to join AEC this year (2011) especially if they intended to join via DEO (civilian university) or CEOTP (direct from high school).

With the exception of ROTP (military college), we will be closed to external intake for at least the next year.  We will have about 14 internal intake (COR, CFR, etc) this year.  It is not clear to me whether those internal intake numbers will include voluntary OTs.

The next empty slot for an AEC course is Aug 2012.

Those already in the system should know their course date, but as indicated some of them will be waiting until 2012 for a course. 

Offline KRJB

• Rate Post
« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2011, 20:57:06 »
Just got accepted as an Aerospace Control Officer.
Will be going to RMC this August. :)

Offline tk1234567890

• Rate Post
« Reply #646 on: April 16, 2011, 00:12:48 »
I am sorry to announce that things are not looking good for folks wanting to join AEC this year (2011) especially if they intended to join via DEO (civilian university) or CEOTP (direct from high school).

With the exception of ROTP (military college), we will be closed to external intake for at least the next year.  We will have about 14 internal intake (COR, CFR, etc) this year.  It is not clear to me whether those internal intake numbers will include voluntary OTs.

The next empty slot for an AEC course is Aug 2012.

Those already in the system should know their course date, but as indicated some of them will be waiting until 2012 for a course.

This is a very sad news for me.  I have been waiting for a DEO AEC position to open since 2009, Oct.  I was told by my Capt that my file has been on the national merit list for quite a while.  I wonder if they will except people on the merit list from not being hired this year. 

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post
« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2011, 21:52:27 »
AC Op 169/00337.1 is Part NORAD Air Defense part Air Traffic Control
AC Op 170/00337.2 is Precision Approach Radar (PAR) Controller

It's a sub trade so that the PAR Controllers can get spec pay

Offline Aerospaced_out

• Rate Post
« Reply #648 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:01 »
I have been waiting for a DEO AEC position to open since 2009, Oct.

Not sure of your particular circumstance but it seems odd that you have been waiting that long. The backlog is a recent phenomena.

Offline generalmeng

• Rate Post
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2011, 11:08:41 »
Well, it has been a while since I last check here, any miracle?