Author Topic: Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]  (Read 320905 times)

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
Re: Any AEC OJT questions?
« Reply #600 on: May 08, 2013, 22:36:26 »
Once your message arrives, it will have more explicit instructions for you. A BTL is basically an admin section that untrained personnel fall under, so there should be one at Valcartier. Once you're posted there, they should try to find you employment related to your new trade, which in your case would be at 430 Sqn ATC. BTL sections typically fall under Base/Wing Admin sections, so that might be a good place to start looking.

Offline siuto

• Rate Post
Re: Current AEC Recruitment and Training Process
« Reply #601 on: May 09, 2013, 01:16:41 »
Hi,
I just recieved an email from the recruitment centre notifying me that I have to attend a course in Trenton before they will put me on the merit list for AEC. It's a one-day course and that's all I know. Does anyone know what the course is about and what should I expect? Thanks!

Offline Duckman54

• Rate Post
« Reply #602 on: June 07, 2013, 19:52:13 »
Yah, just did that one during my week for Aircrew Selection. They put all 14 of us Pilot applicants thru the AEC testing as well.

Not much anyone here can tell you. As you can imagine, we are asked NOT to divulge anything.  I can honestly tell you that digging for specifics about the testing on here wouldn't help you anyways!  Kinda like trying to study for a blood-test! 

They're looking for inherent skills within you, NOT what you've studied over the past month.  They are not testing how well you can fly planes or direct traffic. They've carefully developed or chosen specific tests to look for very specific aptitudes, to predict how well you COULD BE TRAINED to do those tasks.

Don't sweat!  Enjoy the trip... They're paying for it, right?  Be well rested when you arrive, dress sharp, go in confident. It's challenging but fun!

'G.
If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there!

Offline dad_r22r

• Rate Post
« Reply #603 on: June 19, 2013, 21:11:01 »
Just got back for Wainwright and I got a message from my orderly room . OJT will be at the 430 Squadron and my course will be from the 17th of Sept 'til 19 of Dec. I am really looking forward to be on the course ! Thank you again Incognito for all your comments on that post.

Offline ATCO

• Rate Post
« Reply #604 on: July 02, 2013, 06:30:07 »
dad_r22r, I would suggest that you ask for some contact training/OJT time in a tower like Bagotville. 430 Sqn is a an ok spot but you would benefit more from seeing a fighter base before your course.

Regards,

ATCO
AEC instructor in Cornwall 2007-2009

Offline PeterL

• Rate Post
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2013, 23:47:43 »
Only somewhat related to AEC; but this seems to be one of the more active threads.

I was recently accepted for AC Op, I've got approx. 3 years of university completed. If I wanted to move up to the AEC, are there any programs in place within the CF that would assist in the training to AEC? Would a former AC Op be favoured for AEC upon completion of a bachelor's degree? And are these only available upon completion of my initial 5-year contracting?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Unknown21

• Rate Post
Re: Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]
« Reply #606 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:55 »
Is it just me or is it really hard to find information on the ACSO? I know the name changed but I have been searching around with little luck on how the career progresses and realistic day in the life of's ect.  Any input or links to help?

Also, I have thought about the AEC but don't want to be stuck in a tower, do you always have to do that before getting to specialize in something else? Am I just not knowledgeable enough and assume I will be in a basement or tower for the majority of the trade?

Thanks guys

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #607 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:10 »
Is it just me or is it really hard to find information on the ACSO? I know the name changed but I have been searching around with little luck on how the career progresses and realistic day in the life of's ect.  Any input or links to help?

Try this, it may be a bit out of date though  ---->  http://www.frontline-canada.com/Defence/index_archives.php?page=1670

Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline MrDy3r

• Rate Post
« Reply #608 on: November 18, 2013, 10:47:16 »

Also, I have thought about the AEC but don't want to be stuck in a tower, do you always have to do that before getting to specialize in something else? Am I just not knowledgeable enough and assume I will be in a basement or tower for the majority of the trade?

Thanks guys

A bit late to respond so I hope this is still useful for you.  As background I am a currently serving AEC Weapons Controller on my second operational tour.

AEC as a trade is really what you make of it; the opportunities are endless but some people do indeed spend their whole career "in a basement" per say. The primary roles for AEC are ATC Tower (VFR), ATC Terminal (IFR) and Air Weapons Control. The only one of these options that has windows is Tower. That said, the most interesting stuff happens in places without windows.

As a weapons controller I've had the opportunity to control many Large Force Engagement exercises as well as deploy to control military aircraft over Afghanistan. It really is exciting and interesting to be the guy with global situational awareness ensuring that the mission is accomplished both safely and expeditiously. We are also able to serve on the Airborne Weapons and Control Systems; no windows at 30k feet! On my second tour I'm now the Officer In Charge (OIC) of an Operations Centre, which keeps me in the thick of all Wing/NORAD operations and has great leadership value.

Outside of our primary roles there's an abundance of other opportunities. A few key ones that come to mind is our ever expanding role in Space Operations (again, no windows), and as Forward Air Controllers / Tactical Air Control Party, and as Maritime Fighter Controllers.  As a FAC/TACP you can work with the Army both on field exercises, calling in airstrikes, and at the Air Operations Center facilitating the Air to Ground war. I am not an expert in these areas, but I hope it gives you an idea at least.

Long story short: windows are for ninnies.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:52:42 by MrDy3r »

Offline Kenshi

• Rate Post
« Reply #609 on: October 26, 2015, 18:32:30 »

To current AEC's

I should be writing my Air Crew Selection by the end of November 2015. By the time I hopefully get merit listed it's already going to be January 2016.

From the Forces.ca website, it shows that Aerospace Control Officer is in demand. Can anyone currently serving as an AEC kindly confirm the current shortage for AEC?

Will the shortage continue after next financial year?

Reason I'm asking is because my application is moving very slowly, and I'm hoping that the shortage isn't filled by the time my application is complete.

Thank you kindly!

Offline Lilswitche

• Rate Post
« Reply #610 on: November 04, 2015, 18:08:53 »
Can anyone currently serving as an AEC kindly confirm the current shortage for AEC?

Refer back to your recruitment center for up-to-date numbers for the trade. They may also be able to provide you with the date of the selection board.

Would a former AC Op be favoured for AEC upon completion of a bachelor's degree?

I can only speak to the Air Traffic Control side of AC Op/AEC. Undergoing AC Op training would certainly give you an advantage when training as an AEC, as both trades work side by side. Whether or not that gives you an advantage in selection, is a question best posed to a recruiter.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 18:41:02 by Lilswitche »

Offline bscriber

• Rate Post
« Reply #611 on: October 12, 2016, 10:00:56 »
Good morning,

I'm just waiting to be merit listed and was reading through some of the topics in this section and just have a few general questions.  When I started my application process back in July 2015, I was divorced and single.  Since then, I've gotten into a serious relationship, and my girlfriend (who is not from a military family or background) had a couple of questions about working hours and moving.

1) What are working hours generally like for AEC Officers?  I'm committed to working whatever hours are required, but we were just curious as to what a "normal" work week looks like.

2) Can she live with me for VFR/IFR/Wpns training in Cornwall?

I did a search and found some of these answers for other trades, but not for AEC specifically.

Thanks for your time,

Brian
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 13:25:33 by bscriber »
Recruiting Center: Kingston
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM:     DEO
Trade Choice 1:AEC
Trade Choice 2: MARS
Trade Choice 3: Int
Application Date: Jul. 9, 2015
First Contact: Jul. 10, 2015
CFAT: Aug. 5, 2015 Passed
MOST: Aug. 12, 2015 Passed
Medical : Mar. 29, 2016
Interview completed: Mar. 29, 2016
ACS: Jun. 6-7, 2016 Passed
Background : Aug. 2016
Merit listed: Nov 8, 2016
Position Offered:  AEC
BMOQ:  May 15, 2017

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
« Reply #612 on: October 13, 2016, 23:29:41 »
Work hours are going to vary depending on which unit you're posted to. Some units may have you working 8 hour shifts, some might have you working 12s. It's nearly guaranteed your first posting after training will involve shift work.

As for living with you while in Cornwall... yes, it is possible. If she stays at the Nav Centre, there's an additional fee per day she stays which covers meal service. She could also move into a rental in town. In either case, trust me when I say don't do it. The courses are intense, and having a significant other present would be a significant distraction. Have her come spend a weekend or two if she's not far away, or just settle for skype.

Offline bscriber

• Rate Post
« Reply #613 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:44 »
Thanks for the advice, Guy.   Though it will be a bit yet in regards to Cornwall, I think by that point she'll be good for just coming on weekends (we live in Belleville, so it's only a three hour drive away).    Take care!
Recruiting Center: Kingston
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM:     DEO
Trade Choice 1:AEC
Trade Choice 2: MARS
Trade Choice 3: Int
Application Date: Jul. 9, 2015
First Contact: Jul. 10, 2015
CFAT: Aug. 5, 2015 Passed
MOST: Aug. 12, 2015 Passed
Medical : Mar. 29, 2016
Interview completed: Mar. 29, 2016
ACS: Jun. 6-7, 2016 Passed
Background : Aug. 2016
Merit listed: Nov 8, 2016
Position Offered:  AEC
BMOQ:  May 15, 2017

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:11 »
Hey All,

My current situation is as follows:
 - previously in as MARS, currently supp res,
 - application is nearly complete, Interview/Security Clearance done. Waiting on medical to be reviewed in Ottawa,
 - it's been confirmed I don't have to redo basic trg,
 - waiting to be merit listed then will do either OJT or Cornwall.

My questions are: Do we know if there is still pre-course work to be done as of 2017? (I can find threads referring to it as of 2012, just wondering if there is any change)

Is there any unclassified material that could be suggested to better prepare myself for the upcoming course and subsequent career? (Currently bouncing between various Wikipedia pages on orders of battle and the book 'From the Ground Up'). I'd prefer a more focused approach if people have more relevant suggestions.

Thanks

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post
« Reply #615 on: March 01, 2017, 19:28:26 »
There is still pre-course work in 2017.  There is a Common AEC Course to do and then when you are selected for your Control Environment (Weapons/IFR/VFR) you will have more pre-course work to do before that specific controller course. 

"From the Ground Up" is a good start but unless you know what type of course you're going on any prep until then would be futile IE why study what a Tower Controller does if you get loaded on a Weapons Course. 

Good luck with the re-enrollment process

See you in the Ops Room

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #616 on: March 02, 2017, 07:06:00 »
Thanks for information. Is the common course component done in Cornwall or as OJT? Where is the pre-course work for the specific control environment done? Do you happen to know the time frame these typically follow (duration and typical time between). I guess I'll continue with 'From the Ground Up', is there any other things to look at that would be similar across all three control environments to focus on?

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post
« Reply #617 on: March 03, 2017, 20:36:30 »
Common Course in Cornwall is about a month, Pre Course while you wait at which ever base you are sent for OJT will probably last 3 months.  IFR/Weapons are 5 months and VFR course is 4 months.  I think the only other thing you can study are military and civilian aircraft identification and identifier codes. 

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #618 on: March 15, 2017, 14:50:27 »
Do you happen to have a link where I could find those handy codes? I've googled them but come up with all kinds of clutter instead of what I'm looking for.

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post

Offline Lilswitche

• Rate Post
« Reply #620 on: March 19, 2017, 22:02:06 »
If you get streamed IFR/VFR there'll be a pre-course in Trenton for a couple weeks immediately before going to Cornwall.  The first 2 weeks in Cornwall will serve as a common course for general aviation information.  Both the IFR and VFR courses are changing dramatically, so a lot of the stream specific pre-course material won't be as useful to gloss over.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get ahead before starting.  Try to get a good OJT at an operational unit, it'll help.

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #621 on: March 23, 2017, 10:33:17 »
Thanks for the additional information, looking for study material more to fill my time productively than out of worry. Any suggestions on a good placement for OJT that's close to the east coast?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Lilswitche

• Rate Post
« Reply #623 on: March 23, 2017, 22:50:05 »
Thanks for the additional information, looking for study material more to fill my time productively than out of worry. Any suggestions on a good placement for OJT that's close to the east coast?

Are you looking to Weapons or ATC? ATC wise the only operational unit would be Greenwood.  I've never been there, so I can't comment on how effective the stay would be in preparation for your course.

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #624 on: March 24, 2017, 06:39:40 »
I'm interested in Weapons but as far as I understand I don't get the option. Greenwood would be nice on that side of things. I've asked this in other threads but never received an answer, do you guys know when the next selection dates are for AEC, or when the next common course is being run?