Author Topic: Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]  (Read 320907 times)

Offline dad_r22r

• Rate Post
Re: Any AEC OJT questions?
« Reply #575 on: January 21, 2013, 12:31:30 »
Thank you Guy_Incognito and Formerguard for your anwers. As you mention, there is different path after the basic formation, who decide wich branch you will end up ? I did some research on all three and so far, all of them seems have positive sides. From what I have read, the weapons seems to have more choice of posting then the other two, is that right ? I don't mind North Bay, but let's say that it is not on my top 3 posting...

Tks

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2013, 13:00:14 »
I believe 2 Div/A3 AF Trg makes the decision.  When I got my transfer, my boss was in touch with them and he submitted my stream preference for me.

Offline KRJB

• Rate Post
Re: Current AEC Recruitment and Training Process
« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2013, 20:41:45 »
So I've been looking at going into Maritime Fighter Control (MFC), however, I'm having some trouble finding much, if any, information about it. As far as I understand, it's not a first tour posting and it follows an Air Weapons stream.

As for getting there, I believe I input a preference during my summer of OJT (between 3rd and 4th year of ROTP) to follow the Air Weapons stream. After graduation, assuming I get my preference, I will do another summer of OJT until a course open up. Then I do the Air Weapons course of 13 weeks, which I understand now has the common phase(or the DL), in Cornwall, then Phase 4 at North Bay(3-4 months?)

My question is, what can I do afterwards to get into MFC? AFAIK, I get a posting to either North Bay, Cold Lake, Bagotville or OUTCAN. But where/how long/what is incorporated into the Maritime Fighter Control course? When could I apply for it? What would be the best posting after finishing the Air Weapons course to get into the Maritime Fighter Control program?

I've tried searching the forums about this, but very little information came up. Even the CF Aerospace Control World website and forces.gc.ca has minimal information on it. Also correct me if I'm wrong about the Air Weapons stream.

Thanks in advance for any information posted!  :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 21:00:00 by Bowen »

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #578 on: February 25, 2013, 03:03:49 »
You are correct in that it is through the Weapons stream and that you will not get it right off.  ALso, except under rare circumstances, the course will only be offered once you are a Capt.

You can get to the course from any of the Weapons stream postings, although being at 42 Radar (Cold Lake) will give you more experience beforehand.  That being said, people have been loaded on the course from all locations in and outside of Canada.

For now, concentrate on finishing school and getting through your Weapons course both in-house and in North Bay.  Once that is all done and you are at your first posting, mention your interest in MFC so that not only do your supervisors know what your goal is, but so that they can help you with your plans to acheive it.

Good luck.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
Re: Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]
« Reply #579 on: February 25, 2013, 17:08:34 »
Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback on people working in either trade who have good knowledge about both preferrably. I'm kind of stoked right now- I have the choice of either making my 1st choice AEC or ACSO. I have passed the tests for both, and have a good chance of getting either offer.
I understand that both trades have their pros and cons, that both trades are rewarding and challenging in their own way. I would just like some feedback from someone who has done at least a few years as an AEC. Let me know what you like/dislike about it, how do you feel they respect your posting choices, how you feel you are being treated in general and how much appreciation do you and others have for your work. And, most importantly, would you recommend your line of work over ACSO.

Here's a bit about me; I like adventure, but I also look forward to a safe, rewarding job with a fair amount of room for promotion, OUTCAN postings, and HQ/command center work (though not necessarily flying desk all day).

Thanks in advance for all feedback, it's much appreciated  :salute:
 :cdn:

Offline _Barca

• Rate Post
« Reply #580 on: February 25, 2013, 17:19:26 »
I'm kind of stoked right now- I have the choice of either making my 1st choice AEC or ACSO. I have passed the tests for both, and have a good chance of getting either offer.

Unfortunately, I don't  think you will have the choice when you get the call that you've been selected for either of your choices. The order of the trades on your application doesn't matter, you are suppose to be willing to do all of them. I thought the same thing, that I could be pick for both trades I applied then choose between them what I wanted the most, but my recruiter told me that once you are selected for a trade, your name is removed from the merit list for the other trades you applied.
A good example has twice the value of good advice!

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #581 on: February 25, 2013, 17:34:17 »
Thank you for your reply Hannibal,
I guess that makes my question completely irrelevant than :P  I'll keep AEC as my first choice and see where things go from there.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #582 on: February 25, 2013, 17:49:16 »
(though not necessarily flying desk all day).
Albeit a common phrase used around the water cooler - please note that AEC's do not fly (with the exception of AWACs).  If you are looking to get out and fly you really only have ACSO as a choice.

If you choose AEC, you can expect North Bay, Cold Lake and Bagotville to be the primary locations where you will spend your career.  If you escape weapons and get into the ATC environment you will get to also enjoy Comox, Moose Jaw, Trenton and Greenwood.  The Career Manager will respect your choice for location, as long as it is the one he needs to you fill.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #583 on: February 25, 2013, 18:04:20 »
Thanks for the input Zoomie.
Yeah, posting options for WPNS aren't all that great. I can't stand anything below -10c so I'm pretty sure I'll opt for ATC if the choice presents itself. If anything, to get an OUTCAN posting some place warm! (Repeat after me: A man is allowed to dream.  A man is allowed to dream.)   :blotto:

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #584 on: February 25, 2013, 19:02:19 »
However, if you want OUTCAN postings, Weapons is the way to go.  Seattle, New York (upstate, not NYC), Anchorage AK, AWACS in AK and OK, Germany when we had the AWACS positions there....etc.  From my Weapons friends, they manage to spend a fair bit OUTCAN.  Note that none of those are particularly warm places, if that's what you're after (maybe Seattle.)

That's not to say that ACSOs don't get OUTCAN, just not as frequently as AEC-Weapons.  The rest still stands though.

And another (pedantic) point:  AEC and ACSO aren't AF support, they're AF operations trades along with Pilot. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Air4ce

• Rate Post
« Reply #585 on: February 25, 2013, 22:40:30 »
Hi Noctis,

I've been an Air Traffic Controller for 23 years now.  I have not had any operational deployments.  However I have had the opportunity to go into the "field" on exercise on a number of occasions.  Even lived in a couple of tents!  I've work both as a VFR and an IFR controller plus one "out of trade" tour.  I do believe I have had a rewarding career.  I've been able to do somethings I wasn't expecting and I have been let down in other areas.  If you choose AEC I do think you can have as rewarding a career as you make it.  Probably the same for ACSO.

Now for my advice:  If you are looking for adventure; if you are looking for the best chance of promotion; then your choices should be ACSO,  AEC - Air Weapons Control then AEC - Air Traffic Control in that order.  There are opportunities for adventure and promotion in any of these choices.  But if you want to go places and do things, then it's ACSO.  If you want OUTCAN postings, then it's Air Weapons.  I personally know many Weapons Controllers that have had three or more OUTCAN postings.  However, if you are looking for a real challenge, then you have to choose Air Traffic Control.  ATC may not be physically demanding but I doubt there is a more mentally demanding trade in the Air Force. Then again, I've only ever been an Air Traffic Controller, so I may be a little bit biased. 

Hey, and if ATC doesn't work out for you, you can always go Weapons or ACSO then ;D

Good luck in what ever direction your future brings you/

Air4ce

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #586 on: February 26, 2013, 08:07:28 »
Thank you very much Air4ce, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
It's hard to get a glimpse of what really happens within a trade from civvy street, thanks for shedding a bit of light for me. I feel more strongly for ACSO or WPNS than ATC after reading your post, then again I am young and foolish  ::)
MPs inbound.

Offline MrDy3r

• Rate Post
« Reply #587 on: February 26, 2013, 11:31:43 »
As an AEC Weapons Controller posting from the desert - there is certainly some adventures to be had!  While still relatively green (4 years in) I have been more than impressed with the breadth of opportunities within the AEC realm. NORAD, Tactical Fighter Control, Maritime Fighter Control, AWACS, Space Ops, TACP, IFR, VFR... and probably several more that I have missed.

Working with the Tactical Control Radar Sqns (42 Rdr / 12 ER) you get tremendous opportunity to travel on TD either as a small attachment or as a full Squadron. In recent years the TCRs have done INCAN deployments to both the Olympics and the G20 Summit, and there's rumours abound of some OUTCAN Sqn deployments. Deployment opportunities are also very regular; my home unit generally has 1 or 2 people overseas.

I have very little experience with the ACSO trade so I can't make any comparisons, but for what it's worth the AEC world is a tough but invigorating field.

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #588 on: February 26, 2013, 13:20:15 »
Thanks Dy3r, great input! Weapons Controller would be more my kind of ballpark. You're in the desert, that sounds really awesome! Are you operating from a tactical radar sqn? Those look pretty neat :P
MPs inbound

Offline KRJB

• Rate Post
« Reply #589 on: February 27, 2013, 09:39:11 »
Does anybody know, for ROTP students, if we can do a summer OJT at a Navy Base, specifically CFB Esquimalt, to see how the MFC operate? Or are they posted out of 443 in Pat Bay?

Thanks.

Offline KRJB

• Rate Post
« Reply #590 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:49 »
Awesome.
Thanks for the info. airmich! Much appreciated! :)

Offline MrDy3r

• Rate Post
« Reply #591 on: March 01, 2013, 17:55:44 »
Noctis - My home unit is 42 Radar Sqn. While overseas I'm attached to a coalition unit working with the USAF, RAF and RAAF. My highly biased opinion is that TCR's are the way to go ;D

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #592 on: March 01, 2013, 22:11:54 »
Noctis - My home unit is 42 Radar Sqn. While overseas I'm attached to a coalition unit working with the USAF, RAF and RAAF. My highly biased opinion is that TCR's are the way to go ;D

Yeah, joint operations definitely sounds like a blast! How did you get that posting? Are you a air weapons controller?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #593 on: March 01, 2013, 23:27:21 »
As an AEC Weapons Controller posting from the desert...

;)
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #594 on: March 02, 2013, 12:22:35 »
My bad. Thanks guys for your input, definitely food for thought  :) I'm pretty excited to get the call in April!

Offline Piper0507

• Rate Post
« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2013, 21:20:05 »
How do we know where we will be in the summer?
Do they tell us where we are going?
And I wonder if this is the same for Aerospace Engineering Officer.

Thanks

Offline MrDy3r

• Rate Post
« Reply #596 on: March 05, 2013, 19:34:09 »
How do we know where we will be in the summer?
Do they tell us where we are going?
And I wonder if this is the same for Aerospace Engineering Officer.

Thanks

Piper - Your post doesn't provide nearly enough background information to give you an informative answer. Where who will be? AEC personnel? AEC as a trade? The CF? And if what is the same as AERE?

Offline Piper0507

• Rate Post
« Reply #597 on: March 09, 2013, 21:34:52 »
From what I researched, I know that if I get the offer for Aerospace Engineering Officer,
I will either go to RMC or another civilian university to get a university degree.
But after that I get the degree, I am not sure where i will get employed.
Can anyone give me places where I can get employed?
I have my interview soon and I need to say where I might get employed, but it's hard to find that information.
I know that I could get employed in Ottawa and Winnipeg, but I couldn't get a specific place.

Offline MrDy3r

• Rate Post
« Reply #598 on: March 10, 2013, 01:07:34 »
Piper - This thread is about Aerospace Control Officers. I doubt you'll find that info here - recommend you find an AERE thread or start one.  The search function might help.

Offline dad_r22r

• Rate Post
« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2013, 13:04:22 »
Hi again,

I just received my VOT( voluntary transfer offer ) I will leave the R22R on the 17th of July to report to the nearest BTL. I am leaving tomorrow for one month in Wainwright for my last excercise with the infantry... By the way , I know that I should receive my message while in Alberta but does anyone knows where is the nearest BTL from Valcartier, because my orderly  room could not help me with that !

Thank you.