Author Topic: Australian Army  (Read 4084 times)

Hawaii Mike

Australian Army
« on: July 05, 2004, 16:09:15 »
I am wondering if anybody could direct me to a forum or site with my questions regarding service in the RAN or Australian Army.  I served as a field artilleryman in the Marine Corps and as a special warfare combatant craft crewman (SWCC) in the Navy.  My civilian occupation is marine engineer and commercial diver (I own my own business).

Thanks.  From what what I have read on this forum, you gentlemen seem very professional and courteous.  I am impressed.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: Australian Army
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 16:23:01 »
Wes is our local Australian Army Sergeant on this board.  He is on vacation right now and might not be able to get to your questions for another week or two.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Hawaii Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 16:26:23 »
Thanks very much.  Thought about Canada defence forces; sorry, I am a sissy when it comes to cold.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 09:49:14 »
Hey Mike not sure if you came across this site or not in your search but here you go:

http://www.defence.gov.au/index.cfm
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Hawaii Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 22:06:39 »
Thanks for the link.  I actually researched this a few years back.  Called DFRB in Canberra and was told basically I needed to apply for a visa, wait for approval, reside X years, etc.  I was wondering if things have changed since 1999, when last I investigated.  I know here in the States just about anybody can walk into the recruiting station at any time and get needed waivers, expedited processing, etc.  I wouldn't mind coughing up the dough for a ticket on a fairly okay chance of getting in.  If rejected, some pub crawling and gutter rolling in King's X is never a bad proposition.

Hawaii Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 03:29:33 »
You're absolutely right.  I was referring to the large numbers of foreigners serving in the US military.  Small scandal last year in fact, when they discovered how large the numbers were.  Actually had some KIAs who were illegal.  Begs the question: where are all the Americans?  Why are so few citizens enlisting during such a serious crisis?  Plenty of hypocrisy here, it seems.

Hawaii Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 16:51:39 »
Is Wes still checking these threads?  Still wondering about ADF.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 02:34:06 by Hawaii Mike »