Author Topic: General CFRC Questions – Primary Reserve  (Read 290534 times)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: General CFRC Questions – Primary Reserve
« Reply #500 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:40 »
I read that due to recent changes in the recruiting process, it takes as little as 2 to 6 weeks to get in.

Expedited Reserve Enrollment (ERE) process [Merged]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=124056.0

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0

You can see how long it took others,

Application Process Samples 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13064.0
250 pages.

You will have to decide if you want to apply for a full-time career, or a part-time job.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:40:42 by mariomike »

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #501 on: January 11, 2018, 11:28:37 »
I read that due to recent changes in the recruiting process, it takes as little as 2 to 6 weeks to get in.
It can be quick.  It can be longer.  Point is, I wouldn't commit to unemployment while waiting for an offer.

Also, upon joining the reserves, OP wouldn't be getting immediate full time employment.
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #502 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:47 »
Thank you for those links.
That really helped!

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Offline briant99

• Rate Post
« Reply #503 on: January 21, 2018, 01:49:03 »
Hey everyone, I'm turning 18 soon and im planning on joining the reserves as soon as I get home from my vacation in the US, but I'm wondering if there are any other teens on this website or people I could contact who applied/are applying for the reserves (preferably artillery), and if any of you can help me out? I just had some questions relating personal experiences applying for the the reserves at a young age, and if you could preferably be mature in your answers? Thanks!  :cdnsalute:

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #504 on: January 21, 2018, 03:00:31 »
Use the search feature on the site to find the answers youre looking for..the questions you are asking have veen answered multiple times...others will tell you the same. Good luck.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Armstrong

« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2018, 07:06:46 »
the average wait is 6 months to 12 months for full or part time . it's very rare you'll get in less then 6 months of waiting

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2018, 09:25:04 »
Hey everyone, I'm turning 18 soon and im planning on joining the reserves as soon as I get home from my vacation in the US, but I'm wondering if there are any other teens on this website or people I could contact who applied/are applying for the reserves (preferably artillery), and if any of you can help me out? I just had some questions relating personal experiences applying for the the reserves at a young age, and if you could preferably be mature in your answers? Thanks!  :cdnsalute:

You won't be the first or the last person to join the reserves at 18. I did and many joined at 17. Your best source of information will be the unit recruiter or new gunners (trained privates). Without asking the questions directly I can't answer them. That being said, I imagine that your questions have been answered  before.

Cheers

Offline briant99

• Rate Post
« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2018, 10:34:41 »
I have a kind of weird question too, did anyone who applied at a young age ever face any sort of discrimination (strong word I know but can't think I'm another) ranging from like weird stares to just comments about your age? I also was particularly wondering if there were any people who are teenagers right now who are applying or applied to the reserves.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2018, 10:54:20 »
When I joined the reserves the majority of the people that joined around the same time as me were between the ages of 17-19, there was one or two above 20 but they were the exception. As long as you are legal age nobody pays that much attention to your age.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2018, 11:20:11 »
I have a kind of weird question too, did anyone who applied at a young age ever face any sort of discrimination (strong word I know but can't think I'm another) ranging from like weird stares to just comments about your age? I also was particularly wondering if there were any people who are teenagers right now who are applying or applied to the reserves.

I’m presently a section commander in a reserve infantry unit. I’ve been in for 14 years. The typical mix ofnreceuirs is late high school/early college or university. 17, 18, 21... all totally normal and unremarkable. I got in at 17 myself. You’ll get a few ‘older’ recruits, but late teens is very much the most common that I have personally seen. Most stick with it for a couple years and then get out, often around the time they finish post secondary school or trades training.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #510 on: January 21, 2018, 12:12:53 »
I just had some questions relating personal experiences applying for the the reserves at a young age, and if you could preferably be mature in your answers?

I did my reserve BMQ ( militia General Military Training - GMT - as it was known then ) when I was 16 ( with my parents consent ).

I don't know what your future plans are.  I started with my full-time employer when I was 18. It was shift-work, including weekends,
with mandated overtime.

Because I was in a union, vacations were bid by seniority. It was years before I stood for a summer vacation. Although I did receive a guaranteed two weeks Leave With Pay ( LWP ) each and every summer for military training - which I took advantage of every summer.
 https://wx.toronto.ca/intra/hr/policies.nsf/a8170e9c63677876852577d7004ff7f8/58a35e5368beb69e852567bd006d7e4b?OpenDocument

Thankfully, because I joined the PRes while a full-time student with evenings, weekends and summers off, I was able to complete BMQ and trade training while still in high school.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 17:35:46 by mariomike »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2018, 13:51:36 »
I'm a 22y/o interested in joining the reserves.

- please direct me to the relevant threads if that's the case :)

I really want to go for an intelligence position.

You may find these discussions of interest,

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12858.200
16 pages.

Also, if given the choice, should I go for an NCM position or an officer position- Would I be qualified for an officer position? Regardless, seeing as i have no prior military experience (though I did do a 5 month term with the CBSA) i'm thinking it'd be better to go the NCM route, so i can gain a bit of experience and confidence in the field. Thoughts?

Worth achieving higher NCM rank before going officer?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=87609.0
3 pages.

Transfer from NCM to Officer 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=123732.0

Comparing the job of Officer vs NCM [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=171.0
25 pages.

etc.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 14:05:01 by mariomike »

Offline CAFBCR

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2018, 19:11:27 »
Hey Guys & Girls,

Just curious here who is from British Columbia and trying to join the reserves, put down what regiment and how long you've been waiting till you get sworn in. Or if you already got sworn in just put down how long the process took and any problems along the way.
send me a message and we can discuss and give each other some tips etc I would love to get to know everyone serving with the local units

Thanks

Offline Binks

• Rate Post
« Reply #513 on: January 27, 2018, 09:02:04 »
Hi everyone,
I know this thread hasn't been responded to in over a year, but i didn't want to start a new one on a such a siimilar topic...hopeful i get a response...

Anyway, I am brand new to this forum, so i apologize in advance if I'm asking things that have already been answered- please direct me to the relevant threads if that's the case :)

I'm a 22y/o interested in joining the reserves. I'm currently in my last semester at UofT (criminology) and am hoping to do a masters in emergency management afterwards. I just emailed a recruiter near me. I really want to go for an intelligence position. So 2 questions:

1) The recruiter said that the intel positions wouldn't be open until Sept.2018 (they're trying to get ppl with military experience the first shot). So do you guys think it'd be prudent to wait until sept. to apply (i might not even get the position though) or just go ahead an apply to a different positino for now and try to get switched over later?

2)Also, if given the choice, should I go for an NCM position or an officer position- Would I be qualified for an officer position? Regardless, seeing as i have no prior military experience (though I did do a 5 month term with the CBSA) i'm thinking it'd be better to go the NCM route, so i can gain a bit of experience and confidence in the field. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Again sorry if this has been asked already.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline BeyondTheNow

Commencing countdown, engines on.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #515 on: January 27, 2018, 11:14:41 »
Hi everyone,
I know this thread hasn't been responded to in over a year, but i didn't want to start a new one on a such a siimilar topic...hopeful i get a response...

Anyway, I am brand new to this forum, so i apologize in advance if I'm asking things that have already been answered- please direct me to the relevant threads if that's the case :)

I'm a 22y/o interested in joining the reserves. I'm currently in my last semester at UofT (criminology) and am hoping to do a masters in emergency management afterwards. I just emailed a recruiter near me. I really want to go for an intelligence position. So 2 questions:

1) The recruiter said that the intel positions wouldn't be open until Sept.2018 (they're trying to get ppl with military experience the first shot). So do you guys think it'd be prudent to wait until sept. to apply (i might not even get the position though) or just go ahead an apply to a different positino for now and try to get switched over later?

2)Also, if given the choice, should I go for an NCM position or an officer position- Would I be qualified for an officer position? Regardless, seeing as i have no prior military experience (though I did do a 5 month term with the CBSA) i'm thinking it'd be better to go the NCM route, so i can gain a bit of experience and confidence in the field. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Again sorry if this has been asked already.

Hello Binks, welcome. As someone new to the forum I encourage you to become familiar with the policies of the site.

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.0/topicseen.html

Please do not post the same thing twice. Post, wait patiently for a response. If someone has info for you, they’ll respond when they can. I have deleted your duplicate post.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:21:30 by BeyondTheNow »
“I’m so sick of people thinking they can just waltz into my office when I’m obviously listening to music in 4/4.”

Offline Jakeb

• Rate Post
« Reply #516 on: January 28, 2018, 23:25:48 »
Just wondering what the policy on chewing tobacco is at BMQ

Offline irfand97

• Rate Post
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2018, 14:24:26 »
Hi,

So I applied for Infantry in the Reserves. I have my All Day Testing on the 7th of this month (hopefully I pass the tests!). I was wondering the steps after that and how long it usually takes in between them.
If someone can answer this, that'll be great.

Thank You.

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
« Reply #518 on: January 31, 2018, 01:01:04 »
For me, after a full day of testing which consisted of; First an introduction where they talk about the reserves, the pay, what you do, and the training, they'll allow you to ask questions, then your CFAT will come with a break while the results arrive, then wait for your FORCE test if you passed the CFAT. After all of this, I got my medical around 2 weeks after my tests and my interview the next week as well, and so did most others who did their testing on the same day as I did. So around 2-3 weeks after you'll get your medical and interview optimistically, and then you just have to wait for you security clearance (which was really quick for me, the WO doing my interview finished it up the day after my interview) and then you'll have to wait for your medical results to arrive.
Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Reserves
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Artillery Soldier
Trade Choice 2: Combat engineer
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Application date: October 25, 2017
First Contact: October 26, 2017
Aptitude test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
FORCE test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
Medical: November 9, 2017
Interview: November 15, 2017 (passed)
Med approved: Pending

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #519 on: February 01, 2018, 11:55:21 »
Hey Guys & Girls,

Just curious here who is from British Columbia and trying to join the reserves, put down what regiment and how long you've been waiting till you get sworn in. Or if you already got sworn in just put down how long the process took and any problems along the way.
send me a message and we can discuss and give each other some tips etc I would love to get to know everyone serving with the local units

Thanks

Check your messages.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline TFCynical

• Rate Post
« Reply #520 on: February 07, 2018, 11:48:03 »
Hi all,

I've just received a starting date for BMQ (for reservists) that takes place this Friday and continues until June. I've noticed however that it overlaps with a weekend in April (2 days) with something important I cannot miss. Is it possible to miss 2 days/a weekend of BMQ? Or am I better off waiting until there is another BMQ opportunity that doesn't conflict with anything?

Thanks. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 13:57:08 by BeyondTheNow »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #521 on: February 07, 2018, 12:04:58 »
Is it possible to miss 2 days/a weekend of BMQ? Or am I better off waiting until there is another BMQ opportunity that doesn't conflict with anything?

From 2008,

I have Europe trip with my school on March break and just realised I'll be missing a complete weekend where I would be doing Basic, what will happen to me?

A member of my section missed a weekend about halfway through, and although he was brought up (mostly) to standard the next week he will not be graduating with the rest of us. Instead, he must wait until the next rotation to make up that weekend.

Likewise, a member of our platoon was  at first unable to make it to the First Aid training this week and was told "Either make it, or re-course". He made arrangements.

Others have missed a day or two here and there and haven't had to take any additional weekends, nor were they forced to re-course. I believe it all comes down to the amount of time you are missing, the information you are missing and the unique characteristics of your particular BMQ.

As always, your unit Recruiter is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:10:28 by mariomike »

Offline BeyondTheNow

Commencing countdown, engines on.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #522 on: February 07, 2018, 13:45:56 »
Hi all,

I've just received a starting date for BMQ (for reservists) that takes place this Friday and continues until June. I've noticed however that it overlaps with a weekend in April (2 days) with something important I cannot miss. Is it possible to miss 2 days/a weekend of BMQ? Or am I better off waiting until there is another BMQ opportunity that doesn't conflict with anything?

Thanks.

You're best to speak with your CoC and explain the situation. They will weigh the legitimacy of your "cannot miss" and determine the best course.
“I’m so sick of people thinking they can just waltz into my office when I’m obviously listening to music in 4/4.”

Offline Inf613

• Rate Post
« Reply #523 on: February 09, 2018, 18:40:18 »
Hi all,

Thanks.
Most likely not as every single day of reserve bmq is crucial as they dont have any time. They need to cram as much as they can in the small amount if time they have. Only thing you may get lucky enough to get whatever training is being done that weekend, done at your unit. Ive seen this happen before if its something that can be done at unit. If that weekend is nav or ftx or range weekend, forget it, dont even ask.

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #524 on: February 09, 2018, 18:47:21 »
I’m on BMQ now and we’re allowed to miss up to 1 weekend; you need to write up a memo to your section sergeant, pass it to your section senior, to your 2IC, and then they’ll approve it or disapprove it depending on the material of the weekend and the urgency of your reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk