Author Topic: ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]  (Read 1054244 times)

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
Re: ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2006, 09:01:17 »
I was just curious as to whether or not anyone knows what expenses are covered by DND for an ROTP member in a civillian university. Is it  tuition and books, plus the salary?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 09:07:17 by Saorse »
-- If I am a hero today, that is in question again tomorrow. I am never relieved of responsibility. --

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2006, 09:08:57 »
That's how I understood it: okay! :) So even though room and board will still do 7 thousand dollars worth of damage here at St. FX, it still might work. Would a scholarship from the university be null and void if accepted into ROTP?
-- If I am a hero today, that is in question again tomorrow. I am never relieved of responsibility. --

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2006, 09:13:37 »
I totally understand that it's probably been talked about before; just wanted to make it short and sweet. :)

I'm from Inverness, Cape Breton! Just an hour and a half from X here. Yourself?

Offline Sareon

• Rate Post
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2006, 11:04:13 »
I am currently attending Civilian University through ROTP at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.  It sure is a sweet deal.  I get paid to go here plus I have everything pretty much covered and if you live in a "high cost" area, you can apply for PDL.

I live on campus and I am paying for that myself with the money I get paid, it's a small chunk of it but it is worth it.
Time is relevant to the observer.  While looking down the barrel of a gun, time slows down.

Only once we've lost everything, we're free to do anything.

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2006, 12:39:51 »
Here's to hoping for a good thing then. :)

Offline Krypto

• Rate Post
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2006, 18:31:45 »
I'm currently applying for ROTP at Civy U (I'm second year at Wilfrid Laurier University), and I'm so glad to hear that all the stuff mentioned above is covered.

My question is about the salary. Is it enough to get by? Or will I need to work part-time? I know it depends on the exact pay rate, and the area and cost of living, but I'm just asking in ballpark terms.

I really hope I get in.

EDIT: I'm also reading about others at Civy U who find a local reserve unit and parade with them. If I'm air force, and the only local unit is infantry, would that still fly? Even in just an admin role? I'd love to be able to parade somewhere during the year.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 18:34:56 by Krypto »

Offline Sareon

• Rate Post
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2006, 21:12:41 »
With just my ROTP salary I am having no problems paying for residence, food, alcohol, xmas presents and still am saving up money. 
Time is relevant to the observer.  While looking down the barrel of a gun, time slows down.

Offline Krypto

• Rate Post
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2006, 21:46:47 »
I'm a bit confused...

Various posters have said you need a leave pass for any leave, but how to they distinguish leave from "school time" during the year? For example: The few weeks between school and training in the summer is pretty clearly "leave" and you're under the military's close supervision. But when you're let loose for the school year, are you expected to request leave to go away for a weekend with your buddies or something? I understnad you'd have to if you want to get that travel assistance.

I also have another question. I'm getting married next fall, so after that, if I was on leave and was to request travel assistance, would she be included too? Probably not, but I'm just curious.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2006, 21:53:16 »
If you are now in the CF, you will need a Leave Pass when you go on Leave outside of the Unit Area.  You will find out how large that 'Area' by inquiring at the Unit you are in. 

Any plans you have for marriage should be done, keeping your Unit informed.  The OR will be able to give you all the info and details you require for your new spouse.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2006, 22:03:24 »
Krypto,

One reason you should have a leave pass when you are away for a weekend is so that the system knows where you are.  To be honest, your ULO doesn't care that you're going hiking for the weekend, but when he gets a call from a Duty Officer because your mother needs to find you in the event of a family emergency, she expects the "army" to know where you are.

As for travel assistance and marriage: once you're married, your new wife becomes your primary next of kin.  After that, there's no travel assistance entitlement to go home to see Mom.

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2006, 15:47:55 »
Here's to hoping for the best! Interview is December 19 :)

Offline mhawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2006, 21:31:17 »
Regarding the question about parading part time with a reserve.
It shouldn't be a problem to parade with them even though your air force, I've heard of one parading with a Recce unit.
It just depends on if your ULO allows it and the reserve unit accepting you to parade with them.  I myself am hoping to return to my Cbt Engineer unit, even though I was a pte back then and CT to Aerospace Eng.  Hopefully you get in and get to parade with them.

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2006, 18:21:53 »
For those of you all currently involved in the ROTP through CIVI U, what sort of academic requirements do they hope you maintain? I find myself wondering a bit more of what might be expected now that my interview is less than one month away. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 18:24:29 by Saorse »

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2006, 18:27:05 »
For those of you all currently involved in the ROTP through CIVI U, what sort of academic requirements do they hope you maintain? I find myself wondering a bit more of what might be expected now that my interview is less than one month away. :)

A pass

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2006, 19:09:45 »
Merci merci.

Offline Krypto

• Rate Post
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2006, 03:42:52 »
Regarding the question about parading part time with a reserve.
It shouldn't be a problem to parade with them even though your air force, I've heard of one parading with a Recce unit.
It just depends on if your ULO allows it and the reserve unit accepting you to parade with them.  I myself am hoping to return to my Cbt Engineer unit, even though I was a pte back then and CT to Aerospace Eng.  Hopefully you get in and get to parade with them.

I assume the same rules would apply with a cadet unit? Does this even happen?

Offline Krypto

• Rate Post
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2006, 18:55:51 »
Good to know, thought I meant mainly about working at a cadet unit during the school year, assuming they have an opening.

Offline Sareon

• Rate Post
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2006, 19:59:02 »

From what I have been told, there is no academic requirements that you must maintain except for passing though I am sure you are expected to do as best as you can as I am currently doing. 

Offline Cookie89

• Rate Post
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2006, 14:06:34 »
Hi, I'm new to this website, today.
I'm currently at the stage of waiting to hear back from RMC to see if I'll be accepted. I've also applied to a couple civi U's.. Recently I've been talking to people about RMC and have heard nothing but bad reports... Things like, "The people at RMC are super cocky", "RMC is like 4 years of BMQ" and "After RMC everyone is brainwashed and crazy". I've gone thorugh Reserves BMQ and SQ so I'm not completely oblivious to the ways of the military, but is RMC really as bad as everyone says? If Im offered Civi U should I take it, or go to RMC?

Comments from former RMC students would be appriciated...

Thanks

Offline JesseWZ

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2006, 14:15:18 »
Well... I am not from RMC, however some of my platoon mates from IAP are attending at the moment. I speak with them fairly often and they seem pretty normal to me. I believe the hardest part of RMC would be the FYOP (First Year Orientation) and after that the pressure eases a little (But it is still university, you will still be swamped with tests and essays) There are a few RMC'ers kicking around on this forum, I will leave the rest to the ones who are far more informed then I.
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline old man neri

• Rate Post
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2006, 14:32:42 »
It also depends what you want to do in the long term future. Are you going to be in the military forever? What degree are you looking for? Do you plan on ever working in the civilian world after?

Also, would you be attending these other universities on your own time and dime or through ROTP?

Offline Big Foot

• Rate Post
  • Muda, mura, and muri everywhere I look...
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2006, 14:53:47 »
Hi, I'm new to this website, today.
I'm currently at the stage of waiting to hear back from RMC to see if I'll be accepted. I've also applied to a couple civi U's.. Recently I've been talking to people about RMC and have heard nothing but bad reports... Things like, "The people at RMC are super cocky", "RMC is like 4 years of BMQ" and "After RMC everyone is brainwashed and crazy". I've gone thorugh Reserves BMQ and SQ so I'm not completely oblivious to the ways of the military, but is RMC really as bad as everyone says? If Im offered Civi U should I take it, or go to RMC?

Comments from former RMC students would be appriciated...

Thanks
Those who badmouth RMC are those who have had bad experiences with the College. I have been in the RMC ROTP program for 4 years now and while I do have some gripes about the program which I will not air here, I will say it has been an excellent experience. I am a third year cadet at the moment and I will say that the life I live now is nothing like BMQ or IAP/BOTP. I have the freedom to leave campus when I please, dress how I was outside of school hours. There are cocky people at RMC, but that is par for the course. I have dealt with ROTP civvy U pers and reservists who are just as bad. Be very careful with these generalizations, else you may end up convincing yourself not to take what may be one of the best opportunities that will come your way this early in life. For what its worth, those are my $0.02.
It's not insubordinate if you know exactly where the line is and walk on it but never cross it.

Offline 22B

• Rate Post
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2006, 15:01:10 »
I have a family member in RMC at this time.  Here's my take on it from his observations.  Paid for.  Lots of time off, and you get paid for it. Summer deployment to some interesting places.  You get paid for it.  You make an obscene amount of money at graduation for no work experience. You get to be part of the RMC Business Club which means you will always find a good paying job, making an obscene amount of money.  The level of  quality of your degree is the same as the better universities.  It's free.  You are obligated to work for  the Military for X years and get paid, then you can leave, but why would you?  It's organized, unlike civil universities.  First year:Boo Hoo it's tough.  It's the military. Tough is what it's about.  If you have doubts and believe rumours, perhaps civil route is for you.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 15:03:58 by 22B »

Offline old man neri

• Rate Post
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2006, 15:20:10 »
The level of  quality of your degree is the same as the better universities.

I would be inclined to disagree with you on that one. Having been in quite a few engineering jobs and talking to all sorts of types it is their view that the value of the RMC engineering degree (I can't speak for other degrees) is not all that great. These are the people that are hiring so their opinion does matter to a certain extent.

That being said, RMC is still a good deal, you forgot to mention that on top of getting paid you are also getting a pension.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2006, 15:22:38 »
Welcome Cookie89

Just a few points to help your survival on this site:  

Don't jump into the middle of conversations without researching what has been said already.  

Don't start new topics, it one already exists on that subject.

Please read some of this info, that you may have missed on registration, so as not to make any more mistakes and committing some of the many other "Don't Rules":

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.0.html

MSN and ICQ "short hand" -  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,33247.0.html

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,34015.msg260446.html#msg260446

Tone and Content on Army.ca: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,51970.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.msg259412.html#msg259412

Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.0.html

Infantry FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21131.0.html

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Google search of Army.ca - http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=+site%3Aarmy.ca+%22search+term%22&btnG=Search&meta= (follow the link then replace "search term" with what you are looking for)

Army.ca wiki pages - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.