Author Topic: Packing for Basic [MERGED]  (Read 399085 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Packing for Basic [MERGED]
« Reply #725 on: March 31, 2019, 19:11:10 »
Straight razors, shavettes or double sided safety razors. Yes or no.

For reference to the discussion,

October 2018
CANADIAN FORCES LEADERSHIP AND RECRUIT SCHOOL
http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/training-establishments/ji-bmq-bmoq-v15.pdf
1 Razor with blades (non disposable)

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces.

Offline Elmo

• Rate Post
« Reply #726 on: April 01, 2019, 07:58:24 »
For reference to the discussion,

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces.
But by that standard and definition a straight razor and or a shavette/ safety razor would be applicable. My guess is theres an underlying rule that says no but I want to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:01:16 by Elmo »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #727 on: April 01, 2019, 08:25:26 »
I was talking about threads,like the ones on your uniform or the ones you will use to sew labels with. I’m pretty sure those are exempt from QR&O 103.48.

The bayonet won’t cut paracord wither without some serious sawing and elbow grease.

I was trying to make a joke, my problem is I'm not very funny. That said the CAF could probably still find a way to charge someone for cutting or burning uniform threads if they wanted to.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline V1994

• Rate Post
Re: Re: MP recruiting 2017/18/19
« Reply #728 on: April 02, 2019, 18:36:48 »
What’s the procedure with prescription inserts? I have -1, and I provided my prescription during medical. I don’t really need the inserts cuz I see well in my opinion. Is that mandatory to get them during your BMQ or you can avoid getting them not to waste money. Will they ask people about inserts or they will have them ready without your participation?

Offline V1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #729 on: April 02, 2019, 19:04:09 »
What’s the procedure with prescription inserts? I have -1, and I provided my prescription during medical. I don’t really need the inserts cuz I see well in my opinion. Is that mandatory to get them during your BMQ or you can avoid getting them not to waste money. Will they ask people about inserts or they will have them ready without your participation?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #730 on: April 02, 2019, 19:13:14 »
V1994,

• You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads. Thanks for your cooperation,

Army.ca Staff

Offline V1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #731 on: April 02, 2019, 19:34:47 »
What’s the procedure with prescription inserts? I have -1, and I provided my prescription during medical. I don’t really need the inserts cuz I see well in my opinion. Is that mandatory to get them during your BMQ or you can avoid getting them not to waste money. Will they ask people about inserts or they will have them ready without your participation????

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #732 on: April 02, 2019, 19:40:36 »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 20:53:12 by BeyondTheNow »
“I failed my way to success.” ~Thomas Edison

Offline V1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #733 on: April 02, 2019, 20:00:17 »
Sorry, my bad. Inserts are kinda small glasses that go inside your ballistics and gas mask (that’s what I have been told by CFRC). My question is: is that mandatory to wear your glasses if you are more than fine without them ? Are they gonna check your vision again during the BMQ to determine whether you need glasses or not ?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 20:54:14 by BeyondTheNow »

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #734 on: April 02, 2019, 20:51:26 »
Sorry, my bad. Inserts are kinda small glasses that go inside your ballistics and gas mask (that’s what I have been told by CFRC). My question is: is that mandatory to wear your glasses if you are more than fine without them ? Are they gonna check your vision again during the BMQ to determine whether you need glasses or not ?

Oh! Wow, learn something new every day. (I didn’t get my glasses until well after leaving CFLRS, so that option never applied to me.) Someone else will have to chime in, but AFAIK you still have to bring your prescription with you and staff will take care of whoever needs what during the applicable day...including those I guess.

Offline Arty.Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2019, 19:34:27 »
Hi,

Where it mentions a bag, (day pack). Is there anything against a framed hiking bag? I got given one for free and I was going to use it.

Thank you,

Turner

Offline Elmo

• Rate Post
« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2019, 20:46:50 »
Hi,

Where it mentions a bag, (day pack). Is there anything against a framed hiking bag? I got given one for free and I was going to use it.

Thank you,

Turner
Probably overkill. If you're flying in you will have to pay extra for baggage weight. Tbh I got a small 24" duffel bag and a 3day backpack. One for checked baggage and another for carry on. You shouldn't need to bring much because most things you can get through canex.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #737 on: April 19, 2019, 09:46:31 »

It's up to you but it's not mandatory to wear your glasses. There's a non-mandatory vision check if you want new pairs of free glasses and the insert for the ballistic glasses while at basic.
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #738 on: May 01, 2019, 12:49:51 »
Probably overkill. If you're flying in you will have to pay extra for baggage weight. Tbh I got a small 24" duffel bag and a 3day backpack. One for checked baggage and another for carry on. You shouldn't need to bring much because most things you can get through canex.

According to CANFORGEN 110/14, Air Canada will allow CAF members to take up to three bags (up to 32kg each) free of charge and West Jet will allow four bags.  Personnel traveling to Basic Training are CAF members.  The trouble, however, is they likely don't have ID cards yet.  They will have travel documents though, so it may be worthwhile asking for this benefit when checking in.  However, don't fight the counter staff if they don't allow it (the rules do say you need an ID card).  It's not their fault.

Having said this, if you end up having to pay for baggage, and you're only bringing those items you were told to bring, keep your receipt and you should be reimbursed on your travel claim.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Pockets

• Rate Post
Does a Fitbit Count as a Waterproof Sports Watch for BMQ?
« Reply #739 on: July 31, 2019, 12:47:02 »
Good morning,

Looking through my list for what I need to pack for BMQ and on the list is "1 water resistant sport watch". Does anyone know offhand if a Fitbit is acceptable?

Thank you in advance
"Decide that you want it more than you're afraid of it."

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
Re: Does a Fitbit Count as a Waterproof Sports Watch for BMQ?
« Reply #740 on: July 31, 2019, 13:26:11 »
Good morning,

Looking through my list for what I need to pack for BMQ and on the list is "1 water resistant sport watch". Does anyone know offhand if a Fitbit is acceptable?

Thank you in advance

Is it waterproof?

Are you going to be okay if you break it on course?

If you answered "No" to either one of these questions then a Fitbit is not acceptable.  I recommend getting a cheapo digital watch that has an alarm and a timer on it.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #741 on: July 31, 2019, 15:04:26 »
Good morning,

Thank you in advance

Your fitbit will not make it through course. Don't chance it. Buy a low-end Timex (approx. $40 at Walmart). It will sustain any impact, scuffing, water/rain and other general abuse it's guaranteed to encounter. Good luck!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #742 on: July 31, 2019, 15:09:46 »
Buy a low-end Timex (approx. $40 at Walmart). It will sustain any impact, scuffing, water/rain and other general abuse it's guaranteed to encounter.

Takes a licking. Keeps on ticking.