Author Topic: Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)  (Read 88006 times)

Offline jimm

• Rate Post
Re: Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2020, 22:35:47 »
I'll have a word with them when I'm in town then. Thanks for the responses!

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2020, 12:27:54 »
If that doesn't pan out another option is to join the unit in BC and do an attachment to AB for the school year.   Have used that often with officers as units tend not to want their positions filled with someone that is not sticking around. 
“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline dalva061

• Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2020, 12:29:35 »
Hello, hopefully I can get some assistance with my situation.

I am a Pre-BMQL Private (I have completed BMQ) with an Army reserve unit in Ottawa. I am currently on a Class C and am hoping to move to Montreal once my contract has ended. I have done my research and have determined my ideal unit to join in Montreal. The unit is also an Army unit and has my trade as well. I have heard some conflicting responses on what I should do from here. I was hoping for some assistance.

Some have suggested to bring it up directly to my CoC first, others have said to contact the Unit I intend to join first. If so, I am not sure if I should contact recruiting or the BOR directly.

Thank you.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2020, 18:00:18 »
Hello, hopefully I can get some assistance with my situation.

I am a Pre-BMQL Private (I have completed BMQ) with an Army reserve unit in Ottawa. I am currently on a Class C and am hoping to move to Montreal once my contract has ended. I have done my research and have determined my ideal unit to join in Montreal. The unit is also an Army unit and has my trade as well. I have heard some conflicting responses on what I should do from here. I was hoping for some assistance.

Some have suggested to bring it up directly to my CoC first, others have said to contact the Unit I intend to join first. If so, I am not sure if I should contact recruiting or the BOR directly.

Thank you.

The way I have seen it done at my unit and told my troops is to contact the intaking unit and see if they have a spot for you. They may want to meet or talk to you.  If everything is in order from their end initiate the process from your home unit.  Normally by way of a memo.  It could take a bit of time as your transfer is happening between divisions.  Meaning it will have to go through a few more hoops than if you were transferring inside your CBG.

Edit: but best bet is to ask your COC how you should do it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 18:07:51 by Remius »
Optio

Offline Kilted

• Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2020, 21:25:55 »
It you're moving it's normally pretty straightforward. You may still be in your old units uniform for awhile, cause the transfer can take time, plus any extra hopes that unit might make you job through to get their capbadge. I do actually know someone who's transfer was denied. They were told that because they were a sub-par soldier that the unit wasn't going to pawn them off on someone else with the units name attached to them. They were told if they wanted to go to another unit they needed to release from the forces and reaply to the new unit. Now this was 10 years ago, I don't know if that could still happen today.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2020, 09:51:23 »
Yes it can still happen today. 

My preference has always been for the member to talk to his home unit which then liaisons with the gaining unit on availability of positions.  If Pte bloggings called me to ask about a transfer to the unit my first question would be - have you talked to your unit.  If not then it was all stops, go talk to unit and then if they were ready to transfer they would contact me.  That way even if we did not have a spot we could discuss the options such as an attach posting.   This also gave the members unit a chance to ascertain the reason for the request, if there was something amiss that could be fixed,  what alternatives there were and if they would even support a transfer.   So many times the request was because the member was going to university in x-town but returning home every Apr/May when school ended.  This is a better case for an attach posting than a transfer.

In the end it still boils down to using the chain of command that is in place and avoid stepping on toes that may get upset because you shopped another unit before discussing with your unit.
“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline humblesoldier

• Rate Post
  • There is a time for everything..so be patient
Transfer within reserves
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2020, 09:55:00 »
Hi guys. My question is whether it is possible to transfer to units within the reserves for example if I moved from one city to another and joined the local reserves in the city i moved to and leaving the one where i was before

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Transfer within reserves
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2020, 09:57:11 »
Short answer:Yes

Long answer: depends on trade, if there are open positions at the unit you want to transfer to.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"