Author Topic: ADF Help in Rescue of Stranded Mariners  (Read 431 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
ADF Help in Rescue of Stranded Mariners
« on: August 04, 2020, 13:13:42 »
This was a team effort between the USAF,Coast Guard and the ADF helping to rescue 3 stranded  civvie mariners.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/missing-mariners-rescued-after-air-force-crew-spots-sos-on-pacific-island-1.639945

\An Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker was near the end of its pattern, looking for a missing white and blue skiff and its crew in the western Pacific, when it turned to avoid rough weather and spotted a tiny island.

“That’s when we saw ‘SOS’ and a boat right next to it on the beach,” Lt. Col. Jason Palmeira-Yen, the cargo plane’s pilot with the Hawaii Air National Guard, said in an Air Force statement.

The plane was dispatched Sunday from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam with a crew of Hawaii and Pennsylvania Air National Guard members to search for three mariners who set out on what should have been about a 25-mile journey from one Micronesian atoll to another, but never arrived at their destination.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: ADF Help in Rescue of Stranded Mariners
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 14:18:30 »
They were on a 3 hour tour?   ;D

Laughing aside we found a skiff that we had been looking for, the Buff had flown a full grid, but the skiff was just outside of it, the crew was sitting there watching the plane look for them, but no way to signal. That was on a clam flat sunny day. people overestimate the ability to spot something on the water.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 14:50:17 »
They were on a 3 hour tour?   ;D

Laughing aside we found a skiff that we had been looking for, the Buff had flown a full grid, but the skiff was just outside of it, the crew was sitting there watching the plane look for them, but no way to signal. That was on a clam flat sunny day. people overestimate the ability to spot something on the water.

That's why, when I go kayaking, I carry a SPOT (waterproofed and secured in my PFD of course), cellphone, extra power and batteries, fire making equipment, extra lighters, a marine band radio, flares (road and rocket style), two whistles, a big yellow tarp etc etc.....
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 17:03:01 »
Spot is great, simple and easy to use.