Author Topic: Gen Vance announces retirement  (Read 4543 times)

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
Re: Gen Vance announces retirement
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 19:01:12 »
Rumor is I'm the front runner for the job! ;D

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 19:21:10 »
Some of the comments on Reddit on his departure.  :rofl:
Life is too short to drive a boring car.

Online Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 19:29:05 »
Remember, selection isn’t limited just to LGens.  Technically any General Officer could be appointed.

Don’t know for sure...could be amongst the following four or five, IMO.

MGen Frances Allen - Deputy VCDS

Hasn't General Allen already been committed, as a LGen, to a NATO job for this year?

Online Kilted

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 19:45:38 »
A female CDS could be the PM's way to show he has "learned" from the JWR/Philpot debacle.

Doctor Who already did it.

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 19:47:42 »
Hasn't General Allen already been committed, as a LGen, to a NATO job for this year?

Anything can change; unexpected departures change posting plots at all ranks.  Summer 2019, LGen Eyre returned from Korea, took command of MPC and the appointment as CMP; returned to Korea; came back (again) from Korea and took over the Army from LGen Lanthier (who became VCDS); at the ceremony where he handed over MPC / appointment as CMP to VAdm Edmundson some 66 days after he took over, he noted in his speech "I have to be honest.  I didn't quite manage to accomplish everything I intended."

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 20:25:08 »
Anything can change; unexpected departures change posting plots at all ranks.  Summer 2019, LGen Eyre returned from Korea, took command of MPC and the appointment as CMP; returned to Korea; came back (again) from Korea and took over the Army from LGen Lanthier (who became VCDS); at the ceremony where he handed over MPC / appointment as CMP to VAdm Edmundson some 66 days after he took over, he noted in his speech "I have to be honest.  I didn't quite manage to accomplish everything I intended."

I would question if anything major was accomplished with such a short post
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 20:59:35 »
I would question if anything major was accomplished with such a short post

In routine?

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 21:02:45 »
In routine?

In the NCR, during Covid?  Doubtful.
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 21:10:28 »
That was summer 2019, pre-COVID-19.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2020, 11:39:02 »
What about Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre getting the job ?

Offline lenaitch

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 16:41:02 »
Given the priorities of the current government, I would suspect they put as much careful thought in choosing the next CDS and they would picking the next ambassador to Uzbekistan.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 17:06:03 »
They are going to pick someone who is willing to make cuts and reduce the CAF.  So yeah, they will be very careful with who they pick.
Optio

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 17:50:57 »
They are going to pick someone who is willing to make cuts and reduce the CAF.  So yeah, they will be very careful with who they pick.

Why bother? They control the budget anyway so cost cutting and a probable force reduction is already written on the wall. Willingness isn't the issue.

What they really need is to find someone who can take those cost reductions and make the hard decisions to reshape the force so that it is still credible and capable. (getting rid of 10,000 full-timers in Ottawa [including seventy-five or more GOFOs/senior civil servants and the hierarchy of Cols, LCols, Majs etc that support them] would be a good start first step - I'll start the bidding with 50 legal officers and two military judges plus staff as well as all of DNDCFLA  ;D)

Good luck finding someone within the organization with that skill set.

:stirpot:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2020, 18:32:08 »
Why bother? They control the budget anyway so cost cutting and a probable force reduction is already written on the wall. Willingness isn't the issue.

What they really need is to find someone who can take those cost reductions and make the hard decisions to reshape the force so that it is still credible and capable. (getting rid of 10,000 full-timers in Ottawa [including seventy-five or more GOFOs/senior civil servants and the hierarchy of Cols, LCols, Majs etc that support them] would be a good start first step - I'll start the bidding with 50 legal officers and two military judges plus staff as well as all of DNDCFLA  ;D)

Good luck finding someone within the organization with that skill set.

:stirpot:

First you’d need the organization to accept that everything need not be approved by GOFOs and establish trust with the tactical level commanders.....

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 18:34:01 »
First you’d need the organization to accept that everything need not be approved by GOFOs and establish trust with the tactical level commanders.....

Keep that up and...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglyFwTjfDU

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 19:25:29 »

Well considering Gen Vance said any job that was important needed a GOFO to do it, and that he'd hire more if he could then we're off on the right track with his retirement....

Online Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2020, 16:02:32 »
The claims swerve has been split and posted here

Please keep this thread on Gen. Vance's retirement.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2020, 21:31:35 »
We saw the samething under Bill Clinton,unless you were prepared to quit you saluted and climbed aboard the crap wagon.

Online shawn5o

• Rate Post
  • "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:14 »
Frankly, why do we bother. Not that the CDS (Vance from previous to future CDS) isn't/aren't good but it is a political promotion. Recall that PM Blackie promoted RCMP Brenda Lucki to RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki. MY cousin, who is an RCMP member, info'ed me that there were better qualified female/male RCMP members for the position. And Blackie screwed her with his statement about systematic racism horse turds.

Dollars to donuts, the next CDS will be probably be a female. Nothing wrong with that but PM is shoveling us with his "woke" credentials.
Freedom from government, annoying do-gooders, overbearing know-it-alls, and jerks are all that I want in life.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2020, 11:55:44 »
Frankly, why do we bother. Not that the CDS (Vance from previous to future CDS) isn't/aren't good but it is a political promotion. Recall that PM Blackie promoted RCMP Brenda Lucki to RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki. MY cousin, who is an RCMP member, info'ed me that there were better qualified female/male RCMP members for the position. And Blackie screwed her with his statement about systematic racism horse turds.

Dollars to donuts, the next CDS will be probably be a female. Nothing wrong with that but PM is shoveling us with his "woke" credentials.

You should read the rules of this site.  PM Trudeau put the current RCMP Commissioner into her position.  Derogatory words such as "PM Blackie" are not permitted on this site.  Hopefully one of the mods can address this better.

+300

Online shawn5o

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2020, 12:04:05 »
You should read the rules of this site.  PM Trudeau put the current RCMP Commissioner into her position.  Derogatory words such as "PM Blackie" are not permitted on this site.  Hopefully one of the mods can address this better.

My apologies. PM Trudeau does deserve better treatment. However, the main intent of my post is simply that the promotiont to RCMP Commissioner and CDS  is political, nothing more and nothing less.

Happy?
Freedom from government, annoying do-gooders, overbearing know-it-alls, and jerks are all that I want in life.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2020, 12:06:43 »
 [:D [:D [:D
My apologies. PM Trudeau does deserve better treatment. However, the main intent of my post is simply that the promotiont to RCMP Commissioner and CDS  is political, nothing more and nothing less.

Happy?

:nod:

Online shawn5o

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2020, 12:07:55 »
+300

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 12:18:33 »

Would that be similar to calling Ranger Ray, Ranger Boy?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 12:29:22 »
Would that be similar to calling Ranger Ray, Ranger Boy?

No it wouldn't be, not even close.  But I just looked back at my comment and I apologize to him for that because I didn't notice that.  I really did think it was Ranger Boy not RangerRay.  I'm also going to send him a PM as well to apologize. 

+60