Author Topic: Canada's frigates suffered 10 fire and smoke incidents since 2018  (Read 1153 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Canada's front-line frigates have suffered 10 fire and smoke incidents since 2018

Navy commander praises crew members but says incidents are a reminder that the frigates are getting older

There have been 10 shipboard fires or smoke incidents aboard Canada's fleet of front-line frigates over the last two years, according to recently released Department of National Defence summaries and statistics.

The commander of the navy, Vice-Admiral Art McDonald, said the episodes were minor — but they also serve as a stark reminder that the warships, built in the 1990s, are now in the second half of their operational lifespans and will require more attention and upkeep.

"Fire is one of the greatest enemies to ships at sea, or alongside [the dock] in the water," said McDonald, whose staff released a summary of incident reports following an interview with CBC News.

A defence expert went even further and said the string of fires should put heat on the Liberal government to keep the long-planned, often-delayed frigate replacement program on track.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/navy-frigate-fires-1.5453216?ref=mobilerss&cmp=newsletter_CBC%20News%20Top%20Headlines%20%20%E2%80%93%20Morning_450_969
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline EnchantedEng

• Rate Post

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
Re: Canada's frigates suffered 10 fire and smoke incidents since 2018
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 17:24:41 »
The best quote in that thread:

Woot! Doing more with less!

More fires is still more
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 18:41:00 »
All the more reason why we shouldn't be turning off the smoke alarm in the Wardroom?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 07:01:08 »
Ha! 

I wish I knew how milpoints worked.  Well played/said  :nod:
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 07:34:06 »
I would suggest that *NO* fire or smoke incident on a ship is "minor". 

Each incident requires a full and proper response.  Even the smallest incident can be life-threatening.

Stating that some fire-related incidents on a ship are "minor" is not helpful to assuring a prompt and rigorous response every single time. 

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 09:48:42 »
12 ships, thats less than 1 incident each over a 2 year period.

It's not bad. Its not great, or even good, but its not bad.

What are they calling a fire or smoke incident?

25-30 years is the end of design life for a lot of electrical insulation (particularly varnish).

Not to say it can't/won't last longer, but it's the end of design life.

There's a few big difference between something electrical shorting out and smoking, provided it's properly installed and the protection trips, something actually smouldering or catching fire.

Out of curiosity, does the navy use anti-spray tape on fuel lines? That stuff can make a big difference, its worth investing in, it's becoming pretty common in the civilian shipping world.

Lot of places are going with secondary filters on laundry dryers as well. Don't know how much of a difference it makes since many ships take dry vents seriously now, but I do know a surprising amount of lint gets pulled out of the secondary filters.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:51:44 by Not a Sig Op »

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 15:25:37 »
I was actually surprised it was that low; I think the # of ships is a bit misleading; it's going to be clustered in the ships that are in high tempo, and almost never on the ships that are in the DWP cycle (which includes pre/post docking cycles).  Probably based on damage and/or casualty before being reported, as you get lots of false alarms or other minor incidents.

We've had the secondary filter on driers for a while, but still end up with a lot of lint buildup over the years. There is actually a specific 60M maintenance routine that happens every docking to check and clean if required, and being verified a few times a week as part of the various rounds people do (was something I personally checked everytime I happened to be in a space with a drier after finding one of the screens cut out as a trainee and an 8" ducting almost blocked with moldy lint for about 40').

May come with AOPS/JSS but haven't seen the anti spray tape used before as a preventative measure. There is probably a lot of places covered over with the leak proof pipe wrap though; our guys got really good at it.  The spray tapes and shields are a good idea though.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 16:18:03 »
Comes in rolls like regular tape, looks like heavy duty hvac tape.

Quick and easy to apply, and not that expensive relative to benefit.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 17:18:24 »
Yeah, I'm a fan, just haven't ever seen it used. I like simple things like this that make life easier, but industry things are pretty slow to trickle in to how we do business as we're self regulated and not necessarily picking up all the standards. An IMO update like that should trickle in with the new ships SOPS, and would be easy enough to do on the frigates as well do repairs/maintenance.

Although with engines inside enclosures, heavily insulated exhaust/steam lines etc, there normally aren't really any hot surfaces exposed on the frigates in the machinery spaces, and the lines inside the enclosure are normally double walled with a leak detect, so bit of a different context then commercial ships with exposed engines. Do see the value of something as easy to apply as some fancy duct tape onto a flange, and would be good to have some on hand in any case to add to a temp repair if nothing else.