Author Topic: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)  (Read 255141 times)

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Re: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
« Reply #1650 on: April 05, 2020, 12:59:02 »
This is not how my C-of-C has explained it to us. We were told that everyone who volunteered would be merited as there was only a limited number of positions at this point.

Having gone through the Class C DOMOPS force generation machine a few times, my guess is that it's likely that "merited" is being confused with "DAGed Green".  Before a Reservist goes Class C there are quite a number of medical, administrative and other requirements that must be met and not everyone who wants to go Class C can meet them.  Yes, the CDS can authorize some of these to be waived, but others he cannot and will not for safety and liability reasons.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #1651 on: April 05, 2020, 13:02:01 »
Where are the soldiers sent to Borden sleeping out of?

Well they sent all the students home so the barracks should be relatively empty. Even with that, Borden is teeming with old, empty barrack blocks so accommodations shouldn't be an issue. I'd imagine they'll be stuffing them into 4-6 per room.

Seems like the CAF is general is preparing for something to happen, they just don't know what, where or if. The entire force is sitting at home, like a coiled spring ready to ACK our way into the community.
Life is too short to drive a boring car.

Online GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #1652 on: April 05, 2020, 13:03:08 »
Important and interesting conversation, but should the CAF's deployment plans and readiness questions be moved out of this thread and keep this to information about the pandemic itself?

Offline Kilted

• Rate Post
« Reply #1653 on: April 05, 2020, 13:06:59 »
Well they sent all the students home so the barracks should be relatively empty. Even with that, Borden is teeming with old, empty barrack blocks so accommodations shouldn't be an issue. I'd imagine they'll be stuffing them into 4-6 per room.

Seems like the CAF is general is preparing for something to happen, they just don't know what, where or if. The entire force is sitting at home, like a coiled spring ready to ACK our way into the community.

Don't forget Blacktown.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #1654 on: April 05, 2020, 13:50:41 »
I don't have a good answer but something needs to be done. What's the point in actively recruiting people if it takes years to get them trained?

Whoa... you've just knocked over a couple dozen rice bowls right there ;)

I think this issue has been discussed (and badly argued by people like me) elsewhere too. Can anyone help with a link?

Then we can get back to the Covid thing....
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1655 on: April 05, 2020, 13:51:03 »
Don't forget Blacktown.

Blackdown is probably the easiest to support a coy or bn of augmentees. Kinda crappy for the dudes living out of there though.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1656 on: April 05, 2020, 13:55:25 »
Blackdown is probably the easiest to support a coy or bn of augmentees. Kinda crappy for the dudes living out of there though.

There's always the option of hooch'n it if you are from 2 CMBG.  :nod:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 14:00:14 by reverse_engineer »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1657 on: April 05, 2020, 14:29:00 »

Op CADENCE IRU, never forget.

Online dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1658 on: April 05, 2020, 15:10:28 »
The Queen's broadcast to the UK and the Commonwealth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_hNq6-0S8
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #1659 on: April 05, 2020, 15:32:08 »
The Queen's broadcast to the UK and the Commonwealth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_hNq6-0S8

That was a good speech. There are some leaders in North America who could (and should) take a lesson from that.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1660 on: April 05, 2020, 17:09:26 »
Boris will now have an opportunity to personally thank NHS staff.

Coronavirus latest news: Boris Johnson admitted to hospital
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/queen-coronavirus-speech-address-news-update-live/
Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital to undergo tests after testing positive for the coronavirus.

The Prime Minister has had coronavirus for 10 days and continues to have persistent symptoms, it is understood.

The tests are being carried out for "precautionary" reasons, Downing Street have said.

He remains in charge of the Government and in contact with Ministers and officials.

A Downing Street spokesperson said: “On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests.

“This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus.

“The Prime Minister thanks NHS staff for all of their incredible hard work and urges the public to continue to follow the Government’s advice to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives.”

It comes as the Queen delivered a historic, stirring address to the nation during the coronavirus lockdown - read more here.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1661 on: April 05, 2020, 17:12:06 »
Covid-19: Disrupted VBIED attack plot targeting hospital indicates weaponisation of virus by far-right extremists in the United States

Key Points

- On 24 March, an individual identified as 36-year-old Timothy R. Wilson, who allegedly plotted to conduct a VBIED attack targeting a hospital, died during an FBI operation in Belton, Missouri.
- Posts allegedly written by Wilson and other members of a far-right movement on Telegram demonstrate the literal and rhetorical weaponisation of Covid-19, which has become a force multiplier for neo-Nazi action and rhetoric.
- This has resulted in an expansion of the targets and tactics commonly employed by members of the movement, rendering attacks of both low and high levels of sophistication likely on targets associated with the virus (such as hospitals), and on local government and law enforcement assets and personnel (as the visible symbols of response to the outbreak).

https://www.janes.com/article/95329/covid-19-disrupted-vbied-attack-plot-targeting-hospital-indicates-weaponisation-of-virus-by-far-right-extremists-in-the-united-states

Previously:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/white-supremacists-encouraging-members-spread-coronavirus-cops-jews/story?id=69737522

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-extremists-conspiracies-covid-19/
Recruiting Centre: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018
OFP: December 2019

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #1662 on: April 05, 2020, 18:26:27 »
Saw an ad for 550 RNs to deploy into NYC.

$10,000 per week
Food stipend
Travel reimbursement
Luxury lodging

FDNY now directing their paramedics to "consider all patients to be infected".

"I used ten N95 masks today ( Sunday ) because I was on ten cardiac arrests", said one.

Reports of out of hospital deaths being ten times higher than the normal number. Not being included in the official covid death count. Not really hard to believe they are being undercounted as people are being instructed to stay home, unless things get worse. It can be a short hop from "not sick enough" to dead.

Math was never my strong suit. But, areas will need to report overall death by any means vs confirmed covid vs historical data for the same time frame in past years.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 18:42:46 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1663 on: April 05, 2020, 18:58:15 »
So many ripple effects; many we won’t truly see the full scope of until this is over.

Unprecedented measures as dairy farmers asked to dump milk due to lack of demand

LONDON, ONT. -- With a glut in supply due to COVID-19, dairy farmers around the region are being asked to dump their milk.

"We can't turn the cows off," says John Walker of Walker Dairy Inc.
"They are full of milk every day for us. On Friday and Saturday at Walker Farms southeast of Aylmer, Ont. they've been asked to take their milk, and dispose of it.

"There is just nowhere for it to go," says Walker. "Schools, restaurants, and even Tim Hortons' amount of cream is down. Those are all things that have slowed down demand for our product right now."

The Dairy Farmers (DFO) of Ontario called for unprecedented measures this week with low demand.

"Disposing of milk is an extraordinary measure, and one that Dairy Farmers of Ontario has only ever considered in emergency situations," Cathy Smith, chief executive officer of DFO said in a statement.

"Yet, this week, we informed producers that these measures would be necessary on a select and rotating basis. Ontario producers continue to do their part to nourish Canadians with high-quality milk, and we are working very closely with processors and industry groups to respond to the unpredictable market fluctuations that are now part of our current environment."

Farmers, who will be paid for the milk are saying as many as five million litres will be dumped weekly.

Walker says he believes the staff at DFO are working hard to figure this out, which is a tough job.

"Farmers, and many other industries are all feeling it in the province," says Walker. "The quicker we get through this the better."

https://london.ctvnews.ca/mobile/unprecedented-measures-as-dairy-farmers-asked-to-dump-milk-due-lack-of-demand-1.4883515
”You don’t have a right to the cards you believe you should have been dealt. You have an obligation to play the hell out of the ones you’re holding. ”
~Cheryl Strayed

“The aim of argument, or of discussion should not be victory, but progress.”~Joseph Joubert

Offline macarena

• Rate Post
  • Newbie on the Forum
« Reply #1664 on: April 05, 2020, 19:31:26 »
Coronavirus latest news: Boris Johnson admitted to hospital

"(...) This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus (...)"

This can serve as an warning for those who had been tested. I mean, if one still has symptoms on the 10th day, then it is better to don't take further time before to make a move to a hospital.
But for those who will not be tested, due to lack of tests, should them count from the first day of symptoms?
I think so, right?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #1665 on: April 05, 2020, 19:40:02 »
Police attempting to disperse a funeral.

https://twitter.com/JNEWS245/status/1246847062269923328

Windows UP!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 19:42:36 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline macarena

• Rate Post
  • Newbie on the Forum
« Reply #1666 on: April 05, 2020, 19:48:02 »
(...) Canada to recruit volunteers, offer jobs to reservists amid COVID-19: Trudeau (...) [1]

Does someone has more intel about how one can enroll itself to that list?

[1]
source: https://globalnews.ca/news/6780556/coronavirus-canada-trudeau-update/

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1667 on: April 05, 2020, 19:49:51 »

Yeah, be a Reservist, get asked if you want to support and then say yes. They're not hiring civilians to do anything.

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1668 on: April 05, 2020, 20:00:48 »

The sign-up page for volunteers is at: https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&poster=1437722
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1669 on: April 05, 2020, 20:01:40 »
Montreal Canadiens player Jeff Petry is providing meals to ER staff every day at the Montreal Children's hospital.

https://twitter.com/BWildeGlobal/status/1246942718661713921
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #1670 on: April 05, 2020, 20:26:45 »
The sign-up page for volunteers is at: https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&poster=1437722

Thanks, I've thrown my name in. I'm spending most of my time at home... A way to be useful would be good.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #1671 on: April 05, 2020, 20:27:05 »
Montreal Canadiens player Jeff Petry is providing meals to ER staff every day at the Montreal Children's hospital.

https://twitter.com/BWildeGlobal/status/1246942718661713921

Of course he is. "Habs Rule"
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1672 on: April 05, 2020, 21:25:14 »
Thanks, I've thrown my name in. I'm spending most of my time at home... A way to be useful would be good.

I hear you on that.

Also, did anyone else find one of the education/experience questions a little surprising?

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1673 on: April 05, 2020, 21:26:51 »
I hear you on that.

Also, did anyone else find one of the education/experience questions a little surprising?

How so?
Optio

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #1674 on: April 05, 2020, 21:27:50 »
I don't subscribe to forced acceptance. I'll make up my own mind. Diversity of thought and opinion is essential.