Author Topic: RCAF aircrew shortage  (Read 25445 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: RCAF aircrew shortage
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2019, 18:58:31 »
I'd prefer to see the RCAF go with a Professional Aircrew career track, like the RAF does.  Folks in the PA track (the RAF guys I know called it a 'spine'), they go onto a different pay table.   PA never will go to a command level (SCWO, WCWO, etc) but they'll always stay in a flying position of some sort, whether operational and an OTU, etc. 

Because of the separate pay table, they are able to continue to get pay raises and pension benefits that are commensurate, but recognized for their operational/flying abilities, vice their MWO/CWO skills.

Best of both worlds!  Right now my only option to keep flying it to 'opt out' and hope I don't get a ground job.  If they did this with all air/flight crew trades, I think you'd greatly improve the corporate knowledge at the flying sqn's.

I like the idea in theory, but does the RAF have a limit to the PA system?  It might be extreme, but what happens if all (or enough) aircrew take the PA track that no one (or very few) get promoted and posted to those leadership positions? 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2019, 19:30:12 »
If we integrate PA, it has to be competitive and only give to the best tactical experts. 

EITS:  you can be removed from the merit list without opting out.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • "crew, set condition Fun, rig for MAD..."
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2019, 20:52:34 »
I like the idea in theory, but does the RAF have a limit to the PA system?  It might be extreme, but what happens if all (or enough) aircrew take the PA track that no one (or very few) get promoted and posted to those leadership positions?

The way it was explained to me, there are a certain amount of positions for each trade/rank.  It is a competitive process; some are selected, some aren't and can try again later.

Now that Seedcorn is over, there are less RAF folks around but I will ask for more certainty.
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • "crew, set condition Fun, rig for MAD..."
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2019, 20:54:55 »
If we integrate PA, it has to be competitive and only give to the best tactical experts.

Agreed, as some might see it as a way to increase pay/pension because they see that as 'more certain' than promotions.

EITS:  you can be removed from the merit list without opting out.

Copy that but the effect is still the same;  less pay now and reduced pension in retirement.  Our current system offers only one way for financial betterment.
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2019, 10:16:22 »
The RCAF will be a great training pipeline for airliner pilots for the foreseeable future. If I was in the big 2 right now there is no reason why I’d want to make a career of flying for the Forces (postings/aircrew retention problems etc). Unless someone is really passionate about being a fighter pilot, I don’t see a justifiable enough reason(s) to stick it out long term.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2019, 16:36:28 »
The last time that that happened was around 1993 or so, just after the Force Reduction Programme kicked off.

Despite Air Command pointing out the impending disaster, higher direction was to pay people to get out anyway. Reductions in recruiting and training were also part of that deal.

The Pilot Get Well Programme followed FRP four or five years later as desperation blossomed.

Somewhere in between, a lot of airline guys lost their jobs when the industry took a downturn. A lot of Res F Pilots in 411 Squadron in Downsview were affected - Air Canada laid off everybody with less than thirteen years' seniority.