Author Topic: Run Up to Election 2019  (Read 32562 times)

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Re: Run Up to Election 2019
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2019, 13:00:04 »
If that happens, the CPC did it to themselves, beginning with the election of Scheer as leader... with everything they’ve had to work with they should have been quite handily coming into this election from a position of strength. Instead they’re scraping far more than they should be.

I don't think the CPC have really done anything to hurt themselves.  They are relatively scandal free.  Their leader is a bit of a unknown, but that's not a bad thing.  Wait for platforms to be released.

What is hurting the CPCs is IMHO:

1)  Anything Conservative is a dirty word right now.  The media; and left sided politics is successfully painting the picture of a conservative as a racist, unsympathetic, angry white male; and

2)  Doug Ford's bungling of Ontario politics is being successfully tied to the Federal party by the media and left sided politics.  I will note I was repeatedly told we cant do that when Wynn was in power.  But politics is politics. 

I think Scheer was the best candidate possible at this time.  But I think Rona Ambrose and Peter MacKay should have played their card differently and stuck around for the leadership race.  I am personally a big fan of Rona Ambrose and I hope she comes back.

Personally I think the CPC are the closest Canada has to a centrist party right now.  And that is why I became a member and will vote for them.

Thank god we didn't end up Bernier!

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2019, 13:24:07 »
In news that should have been news but has been buried by manhunts and Mueller...

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/07/24/liberals-deny-preventing-ex-ambassador-from-commenting-on-china-policy/

The original Globe article is behind a pay wall.

This PMO really thinks everyone answers to them.  As a private citizen I'd tell them to take a hike.
Optio

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2019, 15:08:17 »
Thank god we didn't end up Bernier!

Well he has made one campaign promise that might resonate with Trump supporters in Canada...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/bernier-promises-to-build-border-fences-if-elected-pm-1.4522382
Optio

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2019, 15:52:12 »
Not yet.  But he is likely waiting in the wings for Scheer to fail.   

I suspect a few other alumni are waiting as well to see what happens.
Isn't he currently receiving pension now?

If so how would a return effect that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2019, 17:22:09 »
Isn't he currently receiving pension now?

If so how would a return effect that?

Quote from: Election to Continue or Come Under Act
Members of Parliament Retiring Allowances Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. M-5)

Application of Act to members not making election who become members again

2.4 (1) This Act recommences to apply to a member referred to in subsection 2.3(1) who ceases to be a member and subsequently becomes a member in the thirty-sixth or any subsequent Parliament.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2019, 19:40:08 »

Right but didn't they increase the time required to be pensionable? So he was pensionable under a shorter period previously than is required now.

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2019, 19:41:11 »
Correction. He had 18 years previously so I guess it wouldn't matter.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2019, 18:20:25 »
In a minor blow to the Liberals (by virtue of a lost opportunity to vote-split a few % on the right), the Tantrum People’s Party of Canada will not be represented in the upcoming leaders’ debates.

More at link: Maxime Bernier excluded from initial invitations to leaders' election debates

At this point it’s going to be entertaining watching Bernier struggle to retain his seat. It’s not looking good for him.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2019, 07:43:44 »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-gay-marriage-lgbtq-goodale-1.5256095

Dirty move but effective.  No one is talking SNC and everyone is talking Scheer, but not in a good way.

Not a fan of negative campaigning but this was a very tactical move from the LPC and now the CPC is on damage control mode.
Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2019, 09:10:29 »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-gay-marriage-lgbtq-goodale-1.5256095

Dirty move but effective.  No one is talking SNC and everyone is talking Scheer, but not in a good way.

Not a fan of negative campaigning but this was a very tactical move from the LPC and now the CPC is on damage control mode.

I doubt this will sway much. Anyone who pays attention already knows Scheer’s long held personal views. Similarly, anyone paying attention already knows the CPC have accepted that this is an issue that they cannot touch, never mind walk back on. The fact that they have to dig back to 2005 on this speaks volumes.

While I do not trust the CPC on social issues generally, they at least have the wisdom to avoid self destruction by trying to reopen some of the long settled ones. It’s gonna take a lot to convince me something from 14 years ago is relevant; and I think Scheer is a bit of a wiener already anyway, so situation: no change.

It’s about time to start seeing some actual platforms from the parties in contention.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:40 »
It's becoming more and more difficult to find social liberalism and fiscal conservatism.   :not-again:

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2019, 09:51:14 »

Meh... 32 Liberals and 1 NDP voted against the Civil Marriage Act in 2005, including Ralph Goodale I might point out. If there's no statute of limitations on one's past views on issues, then the Liberals are being somewhat hypocritical, are they not?

Sorry, I forgot... only conservatives aren't allowed to grow.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2019, 09:52:27 »
I doubt this will sway much. Anyone who pays attention already knows Scheer’s long held personal views. Similarly, anyone paying attention already knows the CPC have accepted that this is an issue that they cannot touch, never mind walk back on. The fact that they have to dig back to 2005 on this speaks volumes.

While I do not trust the CPC on social issues generally, they at least have the wisdom to avoid self destruction by trying to reopen some of the long settled ones. It’s gonna take a lot to convince me something from 14 years ago is relevant; and I think Scheer is a bit of a wiener already anyway, so situation: no change.

It’s about time to start seeing some actual platforms from the parties in contention.

It's not so much to sway but it may bring apathetic or disgruntled liberals to come out and vote who might have stayed home.  It changed the channel (not sure for how long), made the NDP commit to not propping up a conservative government, (I'm sure May will be asked the same question and she'll be stuck depending on her answer).  It might actually have worried NDPers vote Liberal to avoid a CPC government.  they dug back to 2005 yes, but it has everything to do with Scheer not being at a pride parade in 2019.  It has put the CPC on the defensive. 

I'm on the same page as you as far as the CPC not wanting to re-open that can of worms but this might make some people think otherwise.

Totally agree about actual platforms.
Optio

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2019, 09:57:56 »
Meh... 32 Liberals and 1 NDP voted against the Civil Marriage Act in 2005, including Ralph Goodale I might point out. If there's no statute of limitations on one's past views on issues, then the Liberals are being somewhat hypocritical, are they not?

Sorry, I forgot... only conservatives aren't allowed to grow.

I suspect they are expecting that response.  The key to grow is to actually grow.  Goodale voted for it in 2005 and has marched in pride parades since (not sure why this is a right of passage for politicians but whatever).  Did Scheer vote for it in 2005 and has he marched?  That is what they are trying to highlight.  They are saying essentially he isn't marching so he hasn't changed.   

It's a chink in the armour.   
Optio

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2019, 10:07:10 »
Not that he had to but Trudeau just bought won Montréal.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2019, 10:09:34 »

Right now, it's all about sowing the seeds of doubt and showing that old stock Conservatives have never changed and will never change.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2019, 10:14:20 »
Right now, it's all about sowing the seeds of doubt and showing that old stock Conservatives have never changed and will never change.

Exactly.  I think it does show some desperation but it might actually work.  The CPC needs an effective counter to that.  Liberal Corruption might be it but I'm not sure it will have the same impact.
Optio

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:28 »
It's becoming more and more difficult to find social liberalism and fiscal conservatism.   :not-again:

Harper put the nails in that coffin when he reneged on his agreement with Peter MacKay...happy to get the transferred PC votes, but not so big on the “I’ll pass it to you after I PM the first two rounds...’  :nod:

Regards,
G2G

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2019, 12:23:09 »
I don't put much stock in polls, but a recent one done by Yahoo, shows over 70% of Canadians want trudeau gone. I doubt those numbers will go down. Contrarily, I expect that to grow.

I also doubt there's many people out there waiting for an epiphany or an Ahh Ha moment. Most, I believe, have made up their minds and nothing will sway that.

People are not blind to the slander that constantly gets tossed out by the liberals. I think the grits may have peaked too early by campaigning for months, on taxpayer money, while the other parties can't campaign at all. I'll bet there's tons who are already fatigued by all of the grit promises to spend your money. People are also not impressed with the way trudeau, and party, are using divisive, untrue terms like racists, nazis, etc to describe opponents. He said it was going to be a dirty campaign, but it wouldn't be him doing it. He is the only one truly campaigning and the only one that is being really ugly about it. I don't believe Canadians want, or need, Republican vs Democrats style politics here, which is exactly the road trudeau is following.

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: August 23, 2019, 13:15:30 »
>Dirty move but effective.  No one is talking SNC and everyone is talking Scheer, but not in a good way.

Lesson learned.  There are no disputes conducted civilly with gracious losers and winners anymore; there will be no golden bridges; no-one is allowed to accept defeat and move on without agreeing to apologize whenever so demanded.  Concede nothing; compromise nothing; they will use your opposition to what they want now to destroy you if they can in the future.

Next time people wonder why there is less compromise in politics, they can be pointed to this issue.
+600
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #245 on: August 23, 2019, 13:41:44 »
… There are no disputes conducted civilly with gracious losers and winners anymore; there will be no golden bridges; no-one is allowed to accept defeat and move on without agreeing to apologize whenever so demanded.  Concede nothing; compromise nothing; they will use your opposition to what they want now to destroy you if they can in the future ...
Sad, but true ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #246 on: August 23, 2019, 14:12:25 »
The key to grow is to actually grow. 

In his response on Tuesday, Scheer's spokesperson said that the Conservative leader "supports same-sex marriage as defined in law and as prime minister will, of course, uphold it."

Seems like growth to me.

Goodale voted for it in 2005 and has marched in pride parades since (not sure why this is a right of passage for politicians but whatever).  Did Scheer vote for it in 2005 and has he marched?  That is what they are trying to highlight.  They are saying essentially he isn't marching so he hasn't changed.   

So what! Trudeau et al didn't march in Caribanna. Does that mean he doesn't support Caribbean Canadians? Singh marched in a parade that glorified a terrorist. Does that mean he supports terrorism?

Marching means putting one foot in front of the other. No more, no less, unless you're looking to gain SJW points.

+300
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2019, 14:44:57 »
In his response on Tuesday, Scheer's spokesperson said that the Conservative leader "supports same-sex marriage as defined in law and as prime minister will, of course, uphold it."

Seems like growth to me.

So what! Trudeau et al didn't march in Caribanna. Does that mean he doesn't support Caribbean Canadians? Singh marched in a parade that glorified a terrorist. Does that mean he supports terrorism?

Marching means putting one foot in front of the other. No more, no less, unless you're looking to gain SJW points.

You are missing the point.  Scheer now has to explain or not as to why he isn't marching.  They've put him on the defensive and in an uncomfortable position.  So what happens when the media asks if he still believes if LGTBQ marriage lack the  ‘inherent’ quality of marriage ?  He will likely try to dodge that.  Several still serving Liberals that were around in 199 and 2005 have already responded.  the media is going after them as well but some are pretty clear on their stances now.  Scheer is still dodging and using talking points.

I really don't care if he marches or not or anyone else for that matter but the LPC is banking on the fact that some people will.  They have successfully put the spotlight on Scheer. 

the election is about top drop and it looks like the LPC made the first strike and are trying to shape the narrative.  Let's see how the CPC responds and reacts.

Optio

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2019, 15:23:02 »
Optio

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2019, 16:48:27 »
Not that he had to but Trudeau just bought won Montréal.

Although perhaps better characterized as ‘soft infrastructure’ it is infrastructure nonetheless which is actually quite good use of public money.  Also not a bad thing to increase environmental resilience. 

A savvy, but also reasonably value-added move.

At this rate, the rather mundane guy who has, IMO, been one of the most unremarkable people in politics astonishingly for more than a quarter of a century may be hard pressed keep the Grits from another majority...

Regards
G2G