Author Topic: Army Uniform Change  (Read 8235 times)

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
Re: Army Uniform Change
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2019, 22:08:52 »
I’d agree with FJAG on this but there were some issues. The bottom hem of the trousers were often black with boot polish. On a hot, humid day on parade the perspiration soaked through the tunic and trousers. The sight wasn’t pretty.
Sidebar... as high collar white jacket is (allegedly) coming into the supply chain for the RCN, what about bringing it into Army use as well, in place of the rifle green jacket in the summer?

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 22:16:29 »
Or shirt like the RCMP wear ?

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2019, 23:17:42 »
Or shirt like the RCMP wear ?
There's already 3Bs for that (rifle green trousers, lighter green shirt); the biggest hole in the Army's sartorial splendour is not having a summer jacket of some kind.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 14:26:22 »
I’d agree with FJAG on this but there were some issues. The bottom hem of the trousers were often black with boot polish. On a hot, humid day on parade the perspiration soaked through the tunic and trousers. The sight wasn’t pretty.

When the Navy DEU was first introduced, only P2s and above received white shoes.  MS and below were expected to wear black shoes/boots.  It didn't take long to realize that was a mistake - you just can't get black shoe polish out of white polyester.  We eventually started issuing white shoes to all ranks.  Having said that, the first issue of white shoes were simply identical to the black shoes (including the decidedly non-navy toe caps), only with white uppers.  I good golf shoe fashion, the soles were still black (and we repeat what I said about the black shoe polish and white polyester.  Epic fail on both counts that took awhile to correct.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 18:07:16 »
When the Navy DEU was first introduced, only P2s and above received white shoes.  MS and below were expected to wear black shoes/boots.  It didn't take long to realize that was a mistake - you just can't get black shoe polish out of white polyester.  We eventually started issuing white shoes to all ranks.  Having said that, the first issue of white shoes were simply identical to the black shoes (including the decidedly non-navy toe caps), only with white uppers.  I good golf shoe fashion, the soles were still black (and we repeat what I said about the black shoe polish and white polyester.  Epic fail on both counts that took awhile to correct.

Weren't those the weird off-white ones, with matching off-white belts?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2019, 20:35:23 »
Weren't those the weird off-white ones, with matching off-white belts?

Those belts were urine in colour. The USN have very nice white cloth ones.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2019, 22:55:25 »
Incoming Sergeant Major of the Army hints at new throwback uniform design Published July 3, 2019 By Whiskey Fueled Tirade

THE PENTAGON—Sources say the newest Sergeant Major of the Army plans to field a throwback uniform to inspire pride within the ranks and prepare the Army for the impending wars with Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, Russia, China, and The Duchy of Monaco.

“The ‘pinks and greens’ represent the last time the Army was truly great,” said incoming Sergeant Major of the Army Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Grinston. “But our service uniform should reflect the first time the Army was great. I mean, we didn’t fight a near-peer adversary in the 1770s and ‘80s, we beat the best standing army in the world.”

An Army spokesperson said the new uniforms, known as ‘colonial blues,’ will be modeled after those from the American Revolutionary War. The uniforms will include a powdered wig, tricorn hat, linen shirt, wool coat with vest, one-size-fits-all leather shoes, and an optional louse comb. Soldiers will trade in their MOLLE packs for haversacks and their magazines for cartridge boxes. At roughly $2,500 a set, soldiers will arrive to battle and mortuary affairs in style.

Sources say Grinston will not be the first Sergeant Major of the Army to make tough decisions regarding uniforms. His predecessor, Daniel Dailey advocated for the “pinks and greens” uniforms, and Raymond Chandler—Dailey’s predecessor—instituted the Army Service Uniform.

“The office of the Sergeant Major of the Army has a long tradition of uniform modifications. In fact, the position was created to soothe the Off-Post Dry Cleaning and Alterations lobby back in the ‘60s to ensure jobs for war brides returning from Vietnam,” said Army historian Kent Patterson. “You can’t make uniform decisions anywhere in the Department of Defense without OPDCAL permission. Everyone knows they have ties to the Korean, Vietnamese, and Filipino mafias.”

As the Sergeant Major of the Army, Grinston will have the power to influence lasting and positive changes to the Army or dedicate his time and attention to embracing the neuroses for which he wants to be remembered. Given his background, soldiers are hopeful he will do what is best for the Army.

“We’ve got run-down barracks, black mold in family housing, and a glut of shitty NCOs who got promoted when we were trying to grow the Army,” said Spc. Jay Gapuzan. “I have faith this new guy will worry about more than new uniforms, facial hair, and neck tattoos.”

https://www.duffelblog.com/2019/07/incoming-sergeant-major-of-the-army-hints-at-new-throwback-uniform-design/

;D
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2019, 07:23:46 »
Incoming Sergeant Major of the Army hints at new throwback uniform....
Sometimes it's hard to distinguish sarcastic blogging from actual uniform/bling directives.   :nod: