Author Topic: Army Uniform Change  (Read 8962 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Army Uniform Change
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 22:18:34 »
At one point the Army went the sam brown bit too,maybe we will bring it back since we are going retro.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:42:49 by tomahawk6 »

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 01:05:44 »
I would take that over the unification business suit with badges we have now :-/  I personally think the brits have a sharp looking Army uniform...and looking good in a uniform is good for morale and worth investing some money on.
Yes. Let's go back to brown. The bus driver green 'uniforms' have always been unsat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 01:26:15 »
At one point the Army went the same brown bit too,maybe we will bring it back since we are going retro.

The one uniform that looked good, our Tans in the 90's was cut to save money.  I wore that in the SSF with jump boots, it was sharp so off course we had to get rid of it :-/

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 08:21:23 »
Oh boy oh boy yes mine is still at the back of the closet......why I’ll never tell.....
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 15:11:11 »
Yes. Let's go back to brown. The bus driver green 'uniforms' have always been unsat.

Can't go around looking too much like the CANSOF guys and gals now, can you...

:stirpot:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 17:54:29 »
Yes. Let's go back to brown khaki. The bus driver green 'uniforms' have always been unsat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FTFY ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 18:14:50 »
FTFY ;)
Sure, khaki, brown something in that hue. On parade with Brits this past weekend and their uniforms looked sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 18:56:37 »
Can't go around looking too much like the CANSOF guys and gals now, can you...

:stirpot:

I'd be happy with stealing their uniforms, sad when RCAF and RCN members can join SOF and look more Army than the Army does :-/  But we can go with a single Khaki colour and let SOF stay two tone...

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 10:03:27 »
Here’s an early look at the new officer Army Greens

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. ― The sergeant major of the Army and several enlisted models have been showcasing the new Army Greens Uniform at public events over the past year, but the officer version has kept a much lower profile.

Gen. Robert Brown, the commander of U.S. Army Pacific, debuted his set Tuesday at AUSA’s Global Force Symposium, telling Army Times that several senior leaders have been fitted for their new service uniforms, and should be showing them off soon.

“I debated wearing it here, because I thought, only a few people have it ― but I thought, what the heck!” he said. “I’m proud of it, and they gave it to me for me to wear it!”

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/03/26/heres-an-early-look-at-the-new-officer-army-greens/
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 18:46:36 »
Its a throw back to the WW2 era uniform , Ike Jacket and all. To save money they should have kept the Army Green Uniform and add the old Army Tan uniform of the 60's. Plus adding shorts would be nice.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 20:00:27 »
Its a throw back to the WW2 era uniform ,

I thought the uniform they wore post-WW2, and for next half-century, looked very modern and sleek in a gray-green polyester-blend.

( I am not referring to the ceremonial uniform - dark blue coat with light blue trousers / skirt. )

Maybe it reminded people a little too much of the Vietnam era? While the "new" uniform may re-kindle nostalgia for the last time the nation celebrated total victory in a World War.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 20:11:12 by mariomike »

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 20:17:14 »
Why do I look at the two women in the picture and suddenly have thoughts of Vera-Ellen breaking into "Oh! I wish I was back in the Army"?

;D

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 16:39:46 »
I liked our tropical worsted tan uniform but I really liked the Canadian tan uniform I saw once online.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=canadian+army+tan+uniform+with+gold+rank+insignia+on+sleeves&id=8984958AD8AEF19EF8B240095A458241E63247A7&FORM=IQFRBA

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 19:30:26 »
I liked our tropical worsted tan uniform but I really liked the Canadian tan uniform I saw once online.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=canadian+army+tan+uniform+with+gold+rank+insignia+on+sleeves&id=8984958AD8AEF19EF8B240095A458241E63247A7&FORM=IQFRBA
No thanks, that thing was brutal. Any amount of moisture would cause the area to immediately darken causing some very interesting visuals, rubbing against absolutely anything would leave a mark, as soon as you sat down, any point where there was bunching of fabric would wrinkle...nope.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 21:19:16 »
No thanks, that thing was brutal. Any amount of moisture would cause the area to immediately darken causing some very interesting visuals, rubbing against absolutely anything would leave a mark, as soon as you sat down, any point where there was bunching of fabric would wrinkle...nope.

Also, the sewn-on badges/ranks/etc were on dark backings like the green DEU.  I never understood why they didn't have dark ranks/Canada letters on tan backings. 

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 23:52:06 »

Me too. It was by far my favourite uniform (well next to my AFV crew suits - I especially liked the winter one). The short sleeve shirt summer dress was particularly nice to wear.

My understanding was that a consortium of RSMs had their hackles up because the uniform showed stains like oil from rifles etc. and therefore it led an NCM-led campaign to ashcan them. Funny thing is that there are dozens of armies around the world that wore/wear a similar shade of tan (not to mention our decades of TW uniforms before the busman's suit came into vogue) and were/are able to manage them quite well. The uniform wrinkled a bit more than the Greens because the cloth was a summer-weight one. It was manageable, however. Once we got rid of the tan uniform we all got to spend our summers wearing winter-weight cloth year-round. If you took care of your tans, they looked sharp.  :2c:

Also, the sewn-on badges/ranks/etc were on dark backings like the green DEU.  I never understood why they didn't have dark ranks/Canada letters on tan backings. 

Not to mention that we wore the green peaked cap, green ties and belts, and black shoes with it as well, all of which were a fashion faux pas. It was a dollars per uniform issue at the time. There simply wasn't enough funding at the time to also buy sets of the proper shades of accoutrements.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 00:07:44 »
Not to mention that we wore the green peaked cap, green ties and belts, and black shoes with it as well, all of which were a fashion faux pas. It was a dollars per uniform issue at the time. There simply wasn't enough funding at the time to also buy sets of the proper shades of accoutrements.

Then there are these folks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Royal_Hussars#/media/File:The_Princess_Royal_takes_the_salute_from_soldiers_of_the_King%27s_Royal_Hussars.jpg

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 00:37:25 »
Then there are these folks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Royal_Hussars#/media/File:The_Princess_Royal_takes_the_salute_from_soldiers_of_the_King%27s_Royal_Hussars.jpg

That's the 'Cherry Pickers'.

I know a guy from that regiment whose family looked down upon the British Royal Family (the neighbours) because they were the relatively poor, immigrant newcomers. :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2019, 01:30:52 »
That's the 'Cherry Pickers'.

I know a guy from that regiment whose family looked down upon the British Royal Family (the neighbours) because they were the relatively poor, immigrant newcomers. :)

Yet being the successors to the 11th Hussars (Lord Cardigan and Charge of the Light Brigade and all that) the crimson trousers were given to them from that immigrant Queen's immigrant Consort, Prince Albert and became "Prince Albert's Own" regiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Hussars#The_19th_century

That's quite a bit of tugging the forelock there.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2019, 13:40:28 »
My understanding was that a consortium of RSMs had their hackles up because the uniform showed stains like oil from rifles etc. and therefore it led an NCM-led campaign to ashcan them. Funny thing is that there are dozens of armies around the world that wore/wear a similar shade of tan (not to mention our decades of TW uniforms before the busman's suit came into vogue) and were/are able to manage them quite well. The uniform wrinkled a bit more than the Greens because the cloth was a summer-weight one. It was manageable, however. Once we got rid of the tan uniform we all got to spend our summers wearing winter-weight cloth year-round. If you took care of your tans, they looked sharp.  :2c:

While the RSM net may have considerable input to the decision, the personal opinion of the CLS (Comd LFC) at the time probably was a critical factor.  In response to a specific question/comment about the appearance of the tan uniform from a MP at a SCONDVA hearing he gave the following evidence.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/36-1/NDVA/meeting-18/evidence
LGen W.C. Leach: I have every intention to comment on the uniform.

You might notice that my body is shaped the way it is. It's not long and thin; it's a little bit shorter and a little bit broader, and I've been in some of those situations myself.

However, if I want to go back a couple of years and look at what our soldiers said about uniforms, our soldiers said quit screwing us around, we don't need a lot of different uniforms, we just need the basic uniforms and let's make some decisions and get on with life. The soldiers said there are two uniforms that are important if you're a soldier, and one is combat clothing; get it for us, get the right amount, get the right type, because when we're on the battlefield we want to feel comfortable operationally, comfortable personally, and then morale will be okay. We're addressing that.   

The second issue from the soldiers is why is it that we have this green uniform, which is technically called rifle green and which the soldiers like, and the tan uniform, which you described quite well—I would probably be a little ruder and cruder—what people look like in it. So we made a decision. I've made a decision. I've been led to believe by the Chief of the Defence Staff that he agrees with my decision and would be making it happen. The army is going to give the soldiers what they want. There are going to be two uniforms in the army in the future, and they're going to be combat and this uniform, the green. We are going to stop swapping back and forth. We are going to stop wearing a uniform in the summer that doesn't breathe and makes you like a bag of you know what and is just all-round uncomfortable.

I don't know, I may have pre-empted the opportunities of the minister to say yes or no. But the fact is the soldiers said all these other things are important, but you are absolutely right, dress is critical; why don't you make some decisions and get on with life. We've made them. It's happening. I would expect that as early as this summer you probably aren't going to see people walking around in tan uniforms the way they have in the past. When you tell the soldiers in Bosnia, and they say what are you doing about my dress, and we tell them, even though it's not public yet, they say thank you.

Mr. John Richardson: Thank you.

I remember seeing LGen Leach saying much the same thing but it was probably not the same hearing because what I specifically recall him saying is that the tan uniform made him look like "a ten pound bag of **** tied in the middle".
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2019, 14:24:53 »
Perhaps your tan uniform wasn't comfortable. Ours was and definitely better than the Army Green uniform when worn in summer. The khaki tan uniform was issued and was starched. The tropical worsted uniform was a purchased item for optional wear. This was a time when even our khaki uniforms were starched. Now the troops have it better with no more starched uni's.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2019, 22:00:07 »
While the RSM net may have considerable input to the decision, the personal opinion of the CLS (Comd LFC) at the time probably was a critical factor.  In response to a specific question/comment about the appearance of the tan uniform from a MP at a SCONDVA hearing he gave the following evidence.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/36-1/NDVA/meeting-18/evidence
I remember seeing LGen Leach saying much the same thing but it was probably not the same hearing because what I specifically recall him saying is that the tan uniform made him look like "a ten pound bag of **** tied in the middle".

I think the exact quote is "like ten pounds of crap in a five pound bag with a string tied around the middle."

Being the cynic that I am, I think his comments about feedback from the soldiers came from a limited source (although we had a round of funny furry hats, coats of many colours garrison dress with Corcoran boots, baggy work dress uniforms and a few other things here and there that did piss people off in general) I know that in my unit the tans were generally received favourably.

Hate to think that we lost a good uniform because one lieutenant general had a pear shaped body.  :facepalm:

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2019, 08:05:43 »
I’d agree with FJAG on this but there were some issues. The bottom hem of the trousers were often black with boot polish. On a hot, humid day on parade the perspiration soaked through the tunic and trousers. The sight wasn’t pretty.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2019, 11:39:25 »
I think the new uniform looks sharp, and like a 'real' Army uniform.

Well done Yanks!  :nod:

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2019, 12:08:03 »
Almost Canadian special forces like.  :whistle: